What's new

Damn Comfortable Shave

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Tell it to the guy who has actually lost everything. His point of view may be different.

I can remember way back when, eating salad dressing sandwiches (sarnies for Cal and Al) because that was all the food I had lol.

Your irony wasn't wasted.

br9m1.jpg

Those guy's are getting way too crazy.

hey-youse-guys-meme-generator-us-guys-or-youse-guys-a6eaf0.jpg

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Your jacket is hanging on a hook right down the hall. Right next to mine. Yeah, that's it. Put it on, now!

BOSC.2.There are no former inmates.jpg

Big Nurse is paging you.

upload_2018-6-15_11-42-16.png

It's the pot of cray calling the other pot of cray cray.

Happy shaves, to all brotherhood members and future members and members in denial,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
proxy.php

This is the vendor's photo.

Today I received a very nice Schick Krona. I believe the seller has more. The one I received looks to be excellent and a good bit better than many I looked at on eBay. Mine looks about like the one in the picture. Looks like they have a stash of these to sell.

Besides that the price was right! Check it out if you're interested and if there are any left. Link.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Raven Koenes

My precious!
Your jacket is hanging on a hook right down the hall. Right next to mine. Yeah, that's it. Put it on, now!

View attachment 890949

Big Nurse is paging you.

View attachment 890950

It's the pot of cray calling the other pot of cray cray.

Happy shaves, to all brotherhood members and future members and members in denial,

Jim
Yes, I know my straitjacket is hanging right down the hall. The thing is that I've been off my meds for over a week now, and I haven't felt better or had such clarity before. What we need is a B&B poll on who shaves with the handle, head, and blade loose so the head can spin, or who shaves with the handle snug and the blade secure? I'm confident that would show, once and for all, who the real crazy one is here in all of this.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Yes, I know my straitjacket is hanging right down the hall. The thing is that I've been off my meds for over a week now, and I haven't felt better or had such clarity before. What we need is a B&B poll on who shaves with the handle, head, and blade loose so the head can spin, or who shaves with the handle snug and the blade secure? I'm confident that would show, once and for all, who the real crazy one is here in all of this.

That poll has got to be taken, Rave. You must do it.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Saturday's shave was very good.

6-16-18.Kit.Schaeffer.Copper.WK.640JPG.JPG

The beautiful razor is a Schaeffer.

Segal made the same razor. My guess is Segal made the Schaeffer, too. I've seen a video with a Segal exactly like this Schaeffer.

Anyway, it is a terrific shaver in all respects on first impression. It's a twist to open, but it opens, well, like a Segal. The handle is 11 mm by maybe a tad under 3 inches. The handle is grippy enough and the razor's balance is good. It's fairly heavy but not a brick. Mine is in great shape.

In all respects this was a nice kit. The blade? A new Polsilver, modified of course.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Schaeffer photos.

Schaeffer.Bottom.Angle.Nice.640.6-18.JPG

This shows the handle nicely + the wavy ends of the head (better would be without a blade).

Schaeffer.HintOfBlade.640.6-18.JPG

You'll see just a hint of blade at the top. There is the tiniest of gaps, and no guard span. Just like some other razors I l like a lot. As far as I can tell the blade exposure is positive and not tiny. Not huge either.

Schaeffer.Cap.Angle.Handle.640.6-18.Nice.JPG

On my skin, the teeth are comfortable. Some teeth are harsh. These aren't.

Schaeffer.Side.640.6-18.JPG

Another side view.

Schaeffer.VeryBottom.640.6-18.JPG

From the very bottom.

SchaefferCap.640.6-18.JPG

In real life I see none of these scratches.

Schaeffer.TopCap.Shiny.6-18.640.JPG

The teeth are perfectly straight.

Schaeffer.640.Bottom.6-18.JPG

Another angled view of the bottom.

The construction of this razor seems to me to be superior to the Gillettes I've looked at. Not a brick by any means, it is a more solidly made razor than other vintage razors I've examined.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Schaeffer photos.

View attachment 891212
This shows the handle nicely + the wavy ends of the head (better would be without a blade).

View attachment 891213

You'll see just a hint of blade at the top. There is the tiniest of gaps, and no guard span. Just like some other razors I l like a lot. As far as I can tell the blade exposure is positive and not tiny. Not huge either.

View attachment 891214
On my skin, the teeth are comfortable. Some teeth are harsh. These aren't.

View attachment 891215
Another side view.

View attachment 891216

From the very bottom.

View attachment 891217
In real life I see none of these scratches.

View attachment 891218

The teeth are perfectly straight.

View attachment 891219

Another angled view of the bottom.

The construction of this razor seems to me to be superior to the Gillettes I've looked at. Not a brick by any means, it is a more solidly made razor than other vintage razors I've examined.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Interesting razor. Thanks for the pics Jim.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
My Father's Day shave was good enough.

Father'sDay.2018.Kit.PAA.Prismatic.640.JPG

Today I used a new razor, the PAA Prismatic. Plus, I used a blade I don't think I've used before (even though I have a hundred of them).

PAA.NoBlade.6-18.640.JPG

This is a view from the top showing the cap and its relationship to the baseplate. There is no blade loaded in the PAA Prismatic.

PAA.ScallopedCap.640.6-18.JPG

Here you can see the blade. Lots of blade is showing, and it doesn't look very well supported at first glance. However, the cap and the baseplate clamp the blade at exactly the same place.

There is no baseplate directly below the blade (distal to the clamp). I'd like an opinion on that from Grant @ShavingByTheNumbers and anyone else inclined to chime in. Does that mean the gap is infinite? Does it mean the gap is exactly the same as the guard span?

The scalloped head is supposed to be in homage to the Kirby Beard razor.

Shaving with the razor there is some audible feedback. When I tested the blade's rigidity it was much more rigid than I might have guessed.

The shave was pretty good. Good enough so I'll try it with another blade, a Polsilver. Using an unknown blade in an unknown razor wasn't fair to either one, but I'm not required to be fair to these tools.
upload_2018-6-17_13-51-2.png

I would say my shave was comfortable. I shaved riding the cap and also I shaved steep. There was some blade feel but not a lot. Maybe less shaving steep. I didn't find the razor/blade to be all that efficient, but it wasn't bad.o

I don't like the look of this handle. I like barberpole handles, but this one is a bit garish to my eye. It's also a tad short. Not saying I can't use it. It does its job, but there are handles I like better.
upload_2018-6-17_13-56-37.png

One shave with an unknown blade is not a good test of this razor. It's clearly a pretty good little razor, better than I would have guessed. I doubt it will ever be my favorite double edge, but it seems worth using some more.

The rest of my kit was exactly what I expected it to be. Stellar.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
There is no baseplate directly below the blade (distal to the clamp). I'd like an opinion on that from Grant @ShavingByTheNumbers and anyone else inclined to chime in. Does that mean the gap is infinite? Does it mean the gap is exactly the same as the guard span?

As I understand it, blade gap is measured between the two red lines as shown below. How much base plate support the blade itself has is irrelevant.

NEWSC.JPG

As always. :)

BOSC_CLAN_TEXT.png

As I understand it, blade gap is measured between the two red lines as shown below. How much base plate support the blade itself has is irrelevant.

As defined...

"Blade gap is the minimum distance between the blade cutting edge and the guard."
Safety Razor Parameters: Illustrated and Defined

We all know that you use feeler gauges to measure blade gap. For the PAA Prismatic, if we stuck feeler gauges in there, it looks like the blade gap would be similar to, but less than, the guard span.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
That looks like the same handle as with the PAA DOC Satin, but with a different finish. Here are my measurements for the satin-finished version:

Handle Mass = 35.17 g
Handle Length = 72.94 mm
Handle Diameter = 11.98 mm
:thumbup1: Thank you Grant. What excellent handle dimensions and weight (IMO that is)! :001_wub:

I remember asking PAA if they sold their DOC Satin handles separately, but unfortunately no. :crying:

Top Bottom