What's new

Damn Comfortable Shave

However, I've also read the opinions of gentlemen who vastly prefer the SR . . .

As may be, but I choose to be guided by you . . .

...and yet, they're both the same...

Yes, I have been pondering this as well. I’m just following along with your classifications. I am reminded why I have sequestered myself in the modern SE world . . . (and should probably go back & remain sequestered).

Last edited:

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
...and yet, they're both the same...

View attachment 885684

A SR is an OT, but not all OTs are SR. Isn't that how you see it, Mike?

If they're all the same, I have a 1921 SR I'd like to swap for a nice DR.

Actually, this one (below) appeals to to me, too.

proxy.php

I'd have to get the teeth straighten out, but what the heck. Link. At least it would never need replating.

Speaking of shipping, check this out. (Warning, do not purchase):

proxy.php

The point is to notice the shipping. No returns. Link. Some people make thieves look good.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Last edited:

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I am reminded why I have sequestered myself in the modern SE world . . . (and should probably go back & remain sequestered).

It wouldnt cost much to scratch that itch Spike. About the same as it would to try a...

Fatip.

A SR is an OT, but not all OTs are SR. Isn't that how you see it, Mike?

It is Jim, yeah. Although I think the only difference really is well....everything LOL. They break down differently, they have different handles, some Old Types may be thin caps, but thick are more common I think.

Do they shave differently? I think virtually any single specimen of either type might shave differently than another, but, I have yet to try a regular Old Type.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
That is nice. What is it?

There was a link with the picture. It's a Gillette. You have to find the link; sort of a treasure hunt. It is, let's say, very nice. You'll understand.

Speaking of which, the vendor of these items (below) claims to not know much about old razors.

proxy.php

There's a bunch of guys here who would welcome him.

It wouldnt cost much to scratch that itch Spike.

I know, Mike. It isn’t really the money - heck I bought 3 expensive stainless razors (though I did buy them all used, and sold two) - it’s the simplicity of my routine and the benefit to my technique of using the same kit. I’m not just joking about that. I like to learn about these things . . . I am a history guy, after all. But I have what I want for myself and would just be tripping over my own feet to go on searching anyway. I live vicariously through the BOSC crew and a few others.

I had to look up a random US zip code for that 2nd link.
Shipping to Pueblo, Colorado is $380.
I'm tempted to inquire about shipping to Portugal.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I had to look up a random US zip code for that 2nd link.
Shipping to Pueblo, Colorado is $380.
I'm tempted to inquire about shipping to Portugal.

Always watch out for shipping costs on eBay, but this is worst I've ever seen.

Imagine some poor soul buying it without considering the shipping; I'm sure that's the intent. Well, it's possible the vendor just made a mistake in the shipping, leaving out a decimal point, meaning $3.80, but somehow I doubt it.

There are plenty of $10 razors with $8 shipping. CONUS from within and to. To me, that's a bit deceptive sometimes, but $380 is a new low.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I know, Mike. It isn’t really the money - heck I bought 3 expensive stainless razors (though I did buy them all used, and sold two) - it’s the simplicity of my routine and the benefit to my technique of using the same kit. I’m not just joking about that. I like to learn about these things . . . I am a history guy, after all. But I have what I want for myself and would just be tripping over my own feet to go on searching anyway. I live vicariously through the BOSC crew and a few others.

upload_2018-5-24_8-33-7.png

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
These were acquired yesterday or the day before and are in transit. Ebay.

Old Ugly OT.640..jpg

Bought for the cap and baseplate. The handle is broken I think.

New and Gold OT..jpg

Bought for the cap and baseplate, but the handle may be fine, too.

Hopefully I can assemble a second Old Type which shaves as good as the one used this morning. If so, I have the option of having an Old Type sent on a replating vacation, and still having a great DE razor to use.

The fat handle (replacement) from a donor Tech seems exactly right on this razor, and I have two or three of them.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I think I'm leading us down a dubious rabbit hole here, but that may be why I can declare as BOSC but couldn't get myself aligned with the CEC. Good folks, no shade on them, similar level of crazy, but as I have a history of addiction, there was always something about the word 'enablement' that just rubbed me the wrong way . . .

BOSC is a more inclusive asylum. Enablers, but not of just buying stuff to buy stuff.

upload_2018-5-24_11-0-20.png

That helps, right.

Happy shaves, even to crazy minimalists,

Jim

Raven Koenes

My precious!
These were acquired yesterday or the day before and are in transit. Ebay.

View attachment 885770

Bought for the cap and baseplate. The handle is broken I think.

View attachment 885771

Bought for the cap and baseplate, but the handle may be fine, too.

Hopefully I can assemble a second Old Type which shaves as good as the one used this morning. If so, I have the option of having an Old Type sent on a replating vacation, and still having a great DE razor to use.

The fat handle (replacement) from a donor Tech seems exactly right on this razor, and I have two or three of them.

Happy shaves,

Jim
Is the handle broken or cracked? Would a little JB Weld fix the crack and keep it from splitting more? It would be nice to salvage the original handle if you could.

Top Bottom