What's new

Damn Comfortable Shave

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Gotta have one in my shaving den.

Large.jpg

Oops, need a much larger shaving den.

More and more, I'm finding the secrets revolve around what everybody says.

1. No pressure (really just barely touching the skin, like barely tickling the skin with a feather).

2. Hydration (do everything possible to wet those whiskers).

3. Accepting that DE and SE razors require multiple passes, but all passes are very light and very well hydrated. Gotta map your beard, especially on your neck.

4. Pre-shave and post-shave are crucial.

5. YMMV & you have to find what works for you.

With the wrong blade for your razor and your whiskers and your skin you're destined for a hard time.

What do guys in Japan shave with?

Happy shaves,

Jim

Gillette and Schick have done a good job of marketing in Japan, as well, so it's mostly cartridges or electric razors over here. Also, on the average, Japanese people have less facial hair to worry about, so that's probably another factor. I asked a colleague of mine what he does for shaving, and he just buys those disposable razors, like you see in hotels, for about 20 cents per, and just shaves around his goatee area once or twice a week and he's fine.

That seems to be the case for the majority. I've been taking note when riding the trains, since getting into DE shaving. Probably look like a freak staring at people's jaw lines. If they catch my gaze, I just smile and say "nice growth pattern"... They usually bolt off the train at the next stop.

Even Feather has their own line of cartridge shavers over here. The SamraiEdge! lol. More reasonably priced than the recent Schillettes, at around $10 for a pack of 8. Still way more than even the nicest DE blades.

upload_2017-9-21_18-25-39.png

Of course there are people with thick beards as well. I'll be sure to spread the gospel of DE shaving to those friends who have thicker facial hair. :) Try to generate more interest. There are definitely a few people who are getting into it. I've come across a few personal blogs and Japanese YouTubers who have gotten into wet shaving and are raving about it and talking about the how-tos, but even if it catches on here, it will be a relatively small market.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Interesting. Much like here. Somehow I hoped for straight razors or swords, but knew better, too.

I got quite good shaves with the carts myself. And, I used one cath for many weeks, even a couple of months or more. They were fast shavers, too, and I didn't get razor burn.

Of course, I didn't get a shave like that of a professional barber either. With a safety razor at home I believe that possible, but I'm not there yet.

But, hey, I've saved so much money!

(The crowd rolls on the floor.)

Must be quite the experience living and working in Japan.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
The second shave with the Blue Diamond blade was much like the first. Maybe just a tad of blade feel. A wee tad. Not an issue. Maybe a slightly better shave.

All parameters were unchanged from yesterday other than I used a Semoque 830 brush.

I can shave many lathered passes in all directions, and must, in order to remove the audible feedback of my Feather AS-D2 and its blade cutting whiskers. Face and neck, neck more than face, right side of neck more than left.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Just going by how this morning's shave feels so far I'd say it is probably the best shave so far. Not perfect, but pretty comfortable, right smooth, and, I think so far, close.

Sure takes a lot of passes though. More passes would have been better, too, at least more passes in a few areas.
Not Perfect.jpg

Being real, I would like a perfect shave, but maybe that's a very tall order. I am fine with lots of passes. They're opportunities to practice light as a feather no pressure shaving.

This morning I had less feedback from the alum block than yesterday. That is a good sign.
Special Reserve.jpg
My splash burned some though, but in a totally good way. It is fun trying some of the inexpensive aftershaves. This one has an interesting scent. At first I didn't know if I liked it, but it gets better after a little while, and changes its scent a bit. It also has grown on me as I've now tried it about three times.

I like the Super Max Blue Diamond Titanium Coated Blade, and I'm glad I ordered 200 of them. Very nice blades. I may skip trying the others on my list to try, and just stick with the Blue Diamond for a month or so.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I may skip trying the others on my list to try, and just stick with the Blue Diamond for a month or so.

Try the Perma-Sharp before you settle on it.

I'm still torn if its my #1 blade or not and waiting for my Fatip to arrive and get a few shaves with it before I do decide.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Try the Perma-Sharp before you settle on it.

I'm still torn if its my #1 blade or not and waiting for my Fatip to arrive and get a few shaves with it before I do decide.

I knew you'd say that.

Okay, I will, but I'm not expecting it to be better. Heck, I'm not expecting it to be as good.

If I'm pleasantly surprised I sure will have a lot of blades I don't really need (209 blades to be exact).

I'll try the Perma-Sharp in the morning.

Still no Fatip? Whenever I try to think of that razor I almost call it, in my mind, the Fat-Lip. How is its name pronounced? Also, why did you pick the particular Fatip model you decided upon? Also, why the Fatip at all? It does sound like Fatips are very good razors for the price, being brass, etc. Why not a vintage razor of similar characteristics? Your new razor is a clone of a vintage, or not?

Happy shaves,

Jim

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I knew you'd say that.

Okay, I will, but I'm not expecting it to be better. Heck, I'm not expecting it to be as good.

If I'm pleasantly surprised I sure will have a lot of blades I don't really need (209 blades to be exact).

I'll try the Perma-Sharp in the morning.

Still no Fatip? Whenever I try to think of that razor I almost call it, in my mind, the Fat-Lip. How is its name pronounced? Also, why did you pick the particular Fatip model you decided upon? Also, why the Fatip at all? It does sound like Fatips are very good razors for the price, being brass, etc. Why not a vintage razor of similar characteristics? Your new razor is a clone of a vintage, or not?

Happy shaves,

Jim

You may be pleasantly surprised. I'll be using a Blue Diamond tomorrow and we can compare notes haha.

One can never have too many blades, this is the LAW! lol

"Thank you for your order from Maggard Razors, LLC! We wanted to let you know that your order was shipped via Globegistics, Globegistics eCom IPA on 9/11/2017."

It hasnt arrived yet, but the mailman is usually around on his second trip delivering packages at 130pm so we'll see.

In my mind it sounds like Fah Tip, but I really have no idea. I picked the Grande over the Piccolo because I wanted gold and the Piccolo doesnt come in gold. The Piccolo also has a slimmer handle thats solid vs the Grande handle thats thicker, but hollow. Not sure the weight difference but that doesnt concern me much anyway. It will be hefty enough.

I really cant say how close it is in design to a Gillette OLD type, but thats the closest razor to it I can think of. I was going to wait and buy a nice Single Ring, and I still might if I like the Fatip enough, but the Fatip is roughly half the cost, so if I dont like it, I wont be out as much. That makes sense in my mind, even if I do end up with it and a Single Ring, which I most likely will lol. Double Ring...?

I've always liked the Fatip razors, especially after learning that the Joris/Plisson razors use heads made by the same company, with slight changes and a higher finish.

Why do I want one. I admit I was hesitant about the blade exposure, but after using my Regent so much lately, I've learned I like the more aggressive shave it gives me. It shaves me closer than my NEW SC, but it isnt nearly as smooth. With the Grande, I'm hoping to get the best of both worlds and from what I can learn about it, I have a feeling it will meet my expectations. I'm looking for an aggressive shave, so that I may end up with the same number of passes as I normally do now with my NEW SC, two and a single clean up, but with the added blade exposure, I hope to get a closer shave while retaining the comfort and smoothness of the NEW SC.

I also have a desire to achieve a single pass BBS shave, albeit, with some buffing, but I would really like to find a razor that will give me the rigidity I need to start directly ATG first pass, be smooth enough that I wont get much, and preferably no irritation, and shave me close enough that it will last at least 10 hours. The NEW SC has the rigidity, but I think the gap makes it a rough first pass for me. I havent attempted that shave enough times to know yet, but thats on the agenda.

Some people do manage that very thing with the Gillette Old types, more so the thin cap than the thick but I'm not sure I understand the differences between the two. I do know that many who use an OLD type, especially a Single Ring, which is a thin cap OLD, the BBS shaves lasts, in some cases I've read, over 30 hours. My nephew uses one more than any other razor, and hes now shaving every third day because theres no need to shave any sooner.

That, is my quest.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Great explanation, Esox. It makes perfect sense to me. The really nice Old Types are spendy. Actually, there are expensive mint examples across the vintage board.

I hope it works out well for you, and will be interested in your findings.

A BBS shave with one pass, and comfort, and close enough to last 30 hours: Sign Me Up!

My little razor collection is composed of razors with shiny pictures on ebay, and good descriptions ("near mint," "very nice," "in excellent shape," etc.). All of mine were far from the top in price, but not at the lower end either. I looked for nice razors, and also for what seemed to me to be bargains relative to top priced similar razors.

All of the razors I bought on ebay (and have received) have been as good as described or better, so I'm sure there are decent deals in the Old Type world.

Patience is a virtue, as they say.

Happy shaves,

Jim

You may be pleasantly surprised. I'll be using a Blue Diamond tomorrow and we can compare notes haha.

One can never have too many blades, this is the LAW! lol

"Thank you for your order from Maggard Razors, LLC! We wanted to let you know that your order was shipped via Globegistics, Globegistics eCom IPA on 9/11/2017."

It hasnt arrived yet, but the mailman is usually around on his second trip delivering packages at 130pm so we'll see.

In my mind it sounds like Fah Tip, but I really have no idea. I picked the Grande over the Piccolo because I wanted gold and the Piccolo doesnt come in gold. The Piccolo also has a slimmer handle thats solid vs the Grande handle thats thicker, but hollow. Not sure the weight difference but that doesnt concern me much anyway. It will be hefty enough.

I really cant say how close it is in design to a Gillette OLD type, but thats the closest razor to it I can think of. I was going to wait and buy a nice Single Ring, and I still might if I like the Fatip enough, but the Fatip is roughly half the cost, so if I dont like it, I wont be out as much. That makes sense in my mind, even if I do end up with it and a Single Ring, which I most likely will lol. Double Ring...?

I've always liked the Fatip razors, especially after learning that the Joris/Plisson razors use heads made by the same company, with slight changes and a higher finish.

Why do I want one. I admit I was hesitant about the blade exposure, but after using my Regent so much lately, I've learned I like the more aggressive shave it gives me. It shaves me closer than my NEW SC, but it isnt nearly as smooth. With the Grande, I'm hoping to get the best of both worlds and from what I can learn about it, I have a feeling it will meet my expectations. I'm looking for an aggressive shave, so that I may end up with the same number of passes as I normally do now with my NEW SC, two and a single clean up, but with the added blade exposure, I hope to get a closer shave while retaining the comfort and smoothness of the NEW SC.

I also have a desire to achieve a single pass BBS shave, albeit, with some buffing, but I would really like to find a razor that will give me the rigidity I need to start directly ATG first pass, be smooth enough that I wont get much, and preferably no irritation, and shave me close enough that it will last at least 10 hours. The NEW SC has the rigidity, but I think the gap makes it a rough first pass for me. I havent attempted that shave enough times to know yet, but thats on the agenda.

Some people do manage that very thing with the Gillette Old types, more so the thin cap than the thick but I'm not sure I understand the differences between the two. I do know that many who use an OLD type, especially a Single Ring, which is a thin cap OLD, the BBS shaves lasts, in some cases I've read, over 30 hours. My nephew uses one more than any other razor, and hes now shaving every third day because theres no need to shave any sooner.

That, is my quest.

This post reminded me that I owe you a review of my RazoRock OLD type @Esox! I hadn't used it for two months and used it last night. I will give you a more thorough review after I get more shaves under my belt this week. I had been using it back in July, but I was away from home for the past two months and so have just now been able to settle in and get my lather figured out again. I wasn't terribly happy with my shaves with a Astra SP's back then, but I used a Rapira Platinum Lux in it last evening and got a nearly BBS, with almost no irritation, for almost 12 hours. I worked overnight last night and noticed that when I got done that my face felt like it often does immediately after a shave with my other razors. I have rapid growth, and apparently my beard is similar to yours as you had suggested a rigid razor when I first got on the forum. I shave daily usually as I get 5 o'clock shadow by 6-7 hours out usually. So 12 hours feeling definitely DFS, some places still BBS was incredible. I did have a little more growth than normal so we will see if my skin can tolerate it daily. Also, first time with a RPL, but I like voskhods a lot in other razors for a smooth and comfortable shave, just not very close. Might have to try a voskhod in the OLD type at some point soon.

Specific question regarding the RPL for you, @Esox: how would you compare it to your perma sharp supers, polsilvers or the blue diamonds? I've read other people's comparisons, but I'd like your take. This was probably my first shave ever where I had 0 tugging on my hybrid XTG/ATG pass. I call it that because I get horrible irritation going straight ATG and do a XTG pass but slightly turn it towards ATG. I felt almost no resistance at any point on that pass and didn't get any audible feedback which is needed for this razor especially. I have liked the 7 o'clock greens the most of any blades I used until the RPL in the OLD type, but find the greens to feel a mix of tuggy and too sharp at times (I always seem to have tiny nicks and weepers with them, but I get the least irritation with them). I'm wondering if I need a sharper blade, but I love the face feel of my voskhods. The RPL seemed a really good blend of the greens and voskhod. I have tried the gillette yellows and feathers but that was too early in my shaving career... Hopefully all of that makes some sense.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Hello Chan...., I know you are into older razors and today one Gents on the site uses ultra sonic cleaning for his razors and I thought that was good way to clean after you soak them in 93%>Alcohol for a couple of hrs. They should come out like new if coatings are in good shape. You can buy a small one for around $25-35 dollars and clean you regular razor once in a while. I wonder if it will clean brushes?
All the best!

I just wanted to mention that I had my first shave this morning with a Voskhod blade that came in my sampler pack, and I am very happy with the results. Like many people have said, they seem sharp enough, but I found them very smooth, as well. There were a couple times I felt like I used a bit too much pressure after taking a stroke, and thinking to myself I'd pay for that later, but it wasn't the case. I had a very smooth result with almost no burning at all. Just a bit of tingling on my upper lip, but that was because I worked under my nose a little too much during my cleanup pass, which is just due to my poor technique.

Again, I'm a super newbie, so please take my input with a grain of salt. I don't have much to compare against yet, but after having been shaving with the Merkur blades, the difference was night and day to me. I am not yet going ATG so it's not a BBS by any means, but after going WTG/XTG and then a somewhat slanted ATGish, XTG while cleaning up, I ended up with a DFS.

I will definitely be trying all my other blades in the sampler pack, as well as some other 5 blade packs of blades recommended on this thread, such as Polsiver and Super Max (I need to get my hands on some GSBs, as well), but in the off chance that nothing else works for me, I would be very happy with the Voskhods.

I'm also interested in hearing some feedback on the RPL. I have a couple of those in the sample pack that I'm currently going through. I've read some nice reviews about those, too.

@Ron R I have also been thinking about getting an ultra sonic cleaner for my long term razor care. I could also use it to clean my glasses, and i'm sure there are a few other things around the house that can be cleaned with it, so for around $30 sounds like it would be a good pickup.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Hello Chan...., I know you are into older razors and today one Gents on the site uses ultra sonic cleaning for his razors and I thought that was good way to clean after you soak them in 93%>Alcohol for a couple of hrs. They should come out like new if coatings are in good shape. You can buy a small one for around $25-35 dollars and clean you regular razor once in a while. I wonder if it will clean brushes?
All the best!

I searched B&B for information on these devices - which one to buy, how to use them, what razors not to put in them, etc. It is a very interesting topic (as are many other topics on B&B).

Thanks for reminding me about them. I hadn't before considered actually getting one, but they sound like a great idea for cleaning my wife's jewelry and maybe her makeup brushes. :a2:

I'm not saying it will clean shaving brushes. I've not researched completely yet. There are items you shouldn't put in these devices.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I just wanted to mention that I had my first shave this morning with a Voskhod blade that came in my sampler pack, and I am very happy with the results.

You are likely to find a number of blades you like. At least I have. It really is helpful to have a blade you know you could live with so you can compare all the others to that standard.

Of course, the standard can change. You might find, for instance, that the GSB surplants the Voskhod as your standard blade, that the GSB becomes the blade you compare all others to.

Maybe the Voskhod is the very best blade you'll ever find, but you won't know until you try others.

I've noted my journey with blades in this thread so you can see what my current top blades are. I've about settled on the Super Max Blue Diamond Titanium Coated Blade as being good enough so that I can stick with it for a while, but I'm going to try one other blade tomorrow to see if I like it better.

However, I've been through a good many blades, most of them mentioned in this thread. I've also discarded without trying them a number of blades which might be great for me, but which had simply too many negative reviews most of which made sense to me. I am not interested in trying out every blade made.

I know what I need in my particular razor: A blade that's sharp, but also smooth. No reason for me to consider right now blades known to be dull or blades lacking smoothness.

Your needs may be entirely different from mine.

I am so glad you've found a blade you like enough to move away from a blade you find inferior by comparison. As you A-B more blades you'll eventually find one you really, really, really like, and you'll also know that that blade is a standout blade because you've tried many others.

There are some people - Uncle Sam comes to mind - who seem to find a great many blades about equally great for them, but I believe many people find great differences in the various blades offered in the Great International Razor Blade Marketplace.

Happy hunting,

Jim

Of course, the standard can change. You might find, for instance, that the GSB surplants the Voskhod as your standard blade, that the GSB becomes the blade you compare all others to.

So very true. I'm only just starting out and have so many yet to try out. It's really interesting how the slightest difference in the blades can behave so differently in the slightest difference in everyone's skin and beard type.

I'm also thinking about two categories of blades. I'm normally an every other day shaver, and sometimes I go longer, so for the 2 day or longer growth, where my face has had time to recuperate and can take a little more aggressive shaving, I want a set of blades that would be on the sharper end of the spectrum, where I could give up a bit of smoothness for efficiency. Then for the rare occasion, where I might have to shave on consecutive days and my face is still a bit raw, I'd like a milder blade to just do a quick cleanup. I guess for the 2nd type of blades, that would be were the blades like Gillette greens or Derby blades might be good options.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Great explanation, Esox. It makes perfect sense to me. The really nice Old Types are spendy. Actually, there are expensive mint examples across the vintage board.

I hope it works out well for you, and will be interested in your findings.

A BBS shave with one pass, and comfort, and close enough to last 30 hours: Sign Me Up!

My little razor collection is composed of razors with shiny pictures on ebay, and good descriptions ("near mint," "very nice," "in excellent shape," etc.). All of mine were far from the top in price, but not at the lower end either. I looked for nice razors, and also for what seemed to me to be bargains relative to top priced similar razors.

All of the razors I bought on ebay (and have received) have been as good as described or better, so I'm sure there are decent deals in the Old Type world.

Patience is a virtue, as they say.

Happy shaves,

Jim

I dont consider myself a "collector" even though I am forming a collection, and I dont need minty pieces. I do want only undamaged and straight pieces and many of the OLD types have bent teeth at the very least. Straight undamaged OLD types are plentiful and some are even inexpensive, but with Ebay and being in Canada, the shipping cost of $30USD or more, can quickly put the razor well out of the "good buy" category. I'm not looking very hard just yet though.

Yeah, the perfect, quick, clean and comfortable shave. Thats what we all want right? lol

I've had no issues with sellers on Ebay. I'm aware of the horror stories and not receiving an item and PayPal not even refunding, but it's never happened to me.

The Blue Diamond will be at bat shortly...

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
This post reminded me that I owe you a review of my RazoRock OLD type @Esox! I hadn't used it for two months and used it last night. I will give you a more thorough review after I get more shaves under my belt this week. I had been using it back in July, but I was away from home for the past two months and so have just now been able to settle in and get my lather figured out again. I wasn't terribly happy with my shaves with a Astra SP's back then, but I used a Rapira Platinum Lux in it last evening and got a nearly BBS, with almost no irritation, for almost 12 hours. I worked overnight last night and noticed that when I got done that my face felt like it often does immediately after a shave with my other razors. I have rapid growth, and apparently my beard is similar to yours as you had suggested a rigid razor when I first got on the forum. I shave daily usually as I get 5 o'clock shadow by 6-7 hours out usually. So 12 hours feeling definitely DFS, some places still BBS was incredible. I did have a little more growth than normal so we will see if my skin can tolerate it daily. Also, first time with a RPL, but I like voskhods a lot in other razors for a smooth and comfortable shave, just not very close. Might have to try a voskhod in the OLD type at some point soon.

Specific question regarding the RPL for you, @Esox: how would you compare it to your perma sharp supers, polsilvers or the blue diamonds? I've read other people's comparisons, but I'd like your take. This was probably my first shave ever where I had 0 tugging on my hybrid XTG/ATG pass. I call it that because I get horrible irritation going straight ATG and do a XTG pass but slightly turn it towards ATG. I felt almost no resistance at any point on that pass and didn't get any audible feedback which is needed for this razor especially. I have liked the 7 o'clock greens the most of any blades I used until the RPL in the OLD type, but find the greens to feel a mix of tuggy and too sharp at times (I always seem to have tiny nicks and weepers with them, but I get the least irritation with them). I'm wondering if I need a sharper blade, but I love the face feel of my voskhods. The RPL seemed a really good blend of the greens and voskhod. I have tried the gillette yellows and feathers but that was too early in my shaving career... Hopefully all of that makes some sense.

The Rapira Platinum Lux I felt was a bit less sharp than Perma Sharp, Polsilver or Blue Diamond Titanium, but it was very smooth. It reminds me now in thinking about it, very much the same as Lord Platinum which was a blade in my first sample pack and I really liked it then. I still have some and plan a review of it soon.

I really liked the Voskhod blade too but I found it became harsh on the 2nd and 3rd shaves, then smoothed out again. The Perma Sharp I found nearly identical. Both sharp and smooth but maybe slightly sharper and slightly smoother. It never become harsh like the Voshkod. I wish I could remember the number of shaves I had on it, but it was well over a dozen and I only tossed it to try a different blade. There were more shaves in it.

I'm really not enjoying Feather blades. They're quite harsh and rough feeling and I actually stopped mid 4th shave to grimace at the razor it was so uncomfortable, but I finished the shave and tossed it. The Gillette Yellow by comparison, in my NEW SC, SS and post war Tech is proving to be a fantastic blade. Exceedingly sharp and very smooth. Its too sharp for my NEW SC and I'm not even thinking of trying one in my Regent. The one in my D2 SS has 10 shaves on it now and the last shave was another nice BBS 3 pass+ shave. My last shave with the Tech, shave #1 on that blade, was 6 passes total with 4 directly ATG and I was stunned how sharp and smooth that blade is. It just takes smaller bites so more passes are needed.

The Gillette Green is the smoothest blade I've yet used. If it had a little more sharpness it might be my #1 blade. Thinking of that now, I'll need to try one in my Regent. The added exposure it offers may make that a stellar blade for that razor and make it equal to the Perma Sharp ha!

I've read a bit about the RR Old Type, and from what I gather its a milder shave than the Gillette OLD types. Possibly designed that way intentionally to be a little more forgiving. From what I understand, the OLD types, especially the thin cap OLD, can be a bit unforgiving of missteps.

A 12 hour BBS is pretty good. For me with my NEW SC and a Polsilver or Blue Diamond the longest lasting thus far has been 9+ hours. Using a much steeper angle and a Derby Extra gave me a 10 hour BBS with the same razor. Using my Regent and a fresh Polsilver, the BBS lasted 23 hours, but having that much sharpness in that razor, with where my technique is right now, its too much. I can shave easily with no blood, but it takes me three times as long as I need to be very careful.

Last edited:
Top Bottom