What's new

Damaging your sink, stainless versus titanium razors, and other related topics

Have any of you damaged your sink or tile with a razor? If so, what kind of razor?

I found a thread here from 2015 about dropping razors that seemed to be motivated by this same concern, but I thought I'd ask again more directly.

The background is I acquired a stainless Tatara Muramasa for a very good price, one that I don't think I'll come across for some time again.

I love the razor, it's everything I wanted it to be — smooth, precise, efficient, very mild — except for one thing, the weight. It's my first stainless razor and I've learned from it I prefer something a bit lighter. I've gotten used to the weight in using it, but have also become very concerned about dropping the razor and breaking the tile floor, quartz countertop, or porcelain sink. I think the stainless Muramasa would damage most other things in the bathroom before itself would get damaged.

Because of this I've become very interested in a titanium Muramasa. I've always thought the titanium was sort of gimmicky or extravagant, but now having had the stainless Muramasa, it makes a lot of sense to me. It is very expensive for me though and I'm not sure it's worth the price. It might be, but might not be.

Also, if you have any suggestions for a mild negative exposure razor (say, the Muramasa on 1-2) that's cheaper and lighter in weight than steel, but not zinc, I'm interested. I've thought about a Karve aluminum but am not sure if there's other options.

We just re did our bathroom so I understand your concern. I’ve come to the conclusion that it will all depend on your luck that day. I’ve dropped things that should have either broke the tile or broke the item dropped. I’ve dropped things that made me say “really?!! But it didn’t even fall that far?”

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
The porcelain sink would be my biggest worry. Chipping the enamel coating on those sinks can be easy to do if it’s not thick enamel.

Most quartz countertops are manmade and the resins used in them make them pretty impervious to chipping. The countertops in our house are over 20yrs old and have 3 chips in them from having heavy cast iron pots dropped on them.

The tile, depending on the type, is made stronger than most of us think. I have white porcelain tile on our bathroom floor. I recently had to break some up for a plumbing project and it took 2-3 hard whacks with a 30oz framing hammer to get it to crack. If your subfloor isn’t that great and allows flexing of the tile it may take considerable less to break the tile.

Top Bottom