What's new

dalli Kernseife

There is this German household core soap for multiple uses, called dalli Kernseife: dm-drogerie markt - dauerhaft günstig online kaufen - https://www.dm.de/dalli-kernseife-3er-pack-p4012400532612.html
4012400532612-1121172_org.png

It's cheap as chips and it has tallow by the bucketload I'd say, leaving the skin very soft. It is after all marketed as "extra überfettet", meaning "with extra overfat".

I used it today to shave with it, yeah the lather is not great, it is too foamy, but the slickness and the protection is there. It easily gave me one of my better shaves.

If you are in Germany or can find it abroad you should give it a try.

Great soap, I use it for shower and sometimes for body shave. Softens the hair very well and is extraordinary cheap.

Gesendet von meinem Redmi Note 8 mit Tapatalk

I should add that it has a citrus smell.

Also, the ingredients are: SODIUM TALLOWATE, AQUA, SODIUM COCOATE, GLYCERIN, PARFUM, SODIUM CHLORIDE, COCONUT ACID, TETRASODIUM EDTA, TETRASODIUM ETIDRONATE, LIMONEN, CI 77891

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I love Arko, too bad they don't sell this is the States! I'd love that in the Summer.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Not sure if I'd shave with laundry soap. Here in the USA there aren't many people still using tallow laundry bars, there is a famous one in Mexican markets called Zote. There was a member here years back that shaved with the pink stuff, not sure why anyone would want to when there are soaps that work much better ... saving money I guess.

At 14 ounces for under $2 that's a lot of tallow, but still.

1590703897722.png

The Dalli factory (or Dalli Werke in German) is where the Tabac soap is made (the factory in Stolberg).
Been there!

Not sure if I'd shave with laundry soap. Here in the USA there aren't many people still using tallow laundry bars, there is a famous one in Mexican markets called Zote. There was a member here years back that shaved with the pink stuff, not sure why anyone would want to when there are soaps that work much better ... saving money I guess.

At 14 ounces for under $2 that's a lot of tallow, but still.

View attachment 1106268
Wow, I've read that it has citronella oil in it, would work great against mosquitoes :p

Clearly, they are not go-to shaving soaps, but they can be a fun experience.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Well, @nemo it does say "for a delicate wash" on the label!

You know that our old man's wouldn't hesitate to use it to save a buck!

I'm sorry but anytime someone states the lather was airy/frothy but was still slick and protective, I suspect the beard growth is light.

If I use an airy lather, I get zero protection and suffer irritation and nicks.

If one is satisfied with just slickness, then why waste money on shaving soap, since every bath soap (or soap in general) is slick.

Scents and skin conditioning aside, the main factor for me is a rich, creamy lather that actually protects my skin from the blade.

Shaved with a Valobra soap once that was not described on the label as either shaving or bath soap.
Writing to old Sr. Valobra he replied that it was a bath soap, but I had guessed that already based on the below average lathering qualities.

Shaving or showering with Dalli laundry soap?
I guess not, even though I do remember this soap from my childhood in Germany when it was used to get rid of hard to clean stains.

But to each his own...

B.

I'm sorry but anytime someone states the lather was airy/frothy but was still slick and protective, I suspect the beard growth is light.

If I use an airy lather, I get zero protection and suffer irritation and nicks.

If one is satisfied with just slickness, then why waste money on shaving soap, since every bath soap (or soap in general) is slick.

Scents and skin conditioning aside, the main factor for me is a rich, creamy lather that actually protects my skin from the blade.
I don't think I have a thick beard, but I'd say that it is a little thicker than average, probably due to my Greek origin.

The main difference between dalli (a heavy tallow-based and soft on the skin soap) and a shaving soap like Arko for instance, is the use of some thickening agent to make the lather look and feel nice and creamy; in the case of Arko that agent is stearic acid. In fact, I do not see any other big difference between the two soaps. I don't think that the lack of such an agent affects the performance of a soap as a shaving soap all that much. The benefits will come mainly from the concentration of tallow (potassium/sodium tallowate), i.e., the tallow-based film on the skin will be there to provide slickness and protection.

Now of course you can upgrade the soap with essential oils and thickening agents and whatnot and transform it into a really nice lubricating shaving soap, but I'd say that nicks and irritation with dalli would be more a problem of technique rather than lathering properties.

I don't think I have a thick beard, but I'd say that it is a little thicker than average, probably due to my Greek origin.

The main difference between dalli (a heavy tallow-based and soft on the skin soap) and a shaving soap like Arko for instance, is the use of some thickening agent to make the lather look and feel nice and creamy; in the case of Arko that agent is stearic acid. In fact, I do not see any other big difference between the two soaps. I don't think that the lack of such an agent affects the performance of a soap as a shaving soap all that much. The benefits will come mainly from the concentration of tallow (potassium/sodium tallowate), i.e., the tallow-based film on the skin will be there to provide slickness and protection.

Now of course you can upgrade the soap with essential oils and thickening agents and whatnot and transform it into a really nice lubricating shaving soap, but I'd say that nicks and irritation with dalli would be more a problem of technique rather than lathering properties.

If technique was the variable then with a bit of practice, every shaver could just use the hand soap in their bathroom to shave.

The entire point of the lather is to hold sufficient quantities of water against the skin.

If technique was the variable then with a bit of practice, every shaver could just use the hand soap in their bathroom to shave.

The entire point of the lather is to hold sufficient quantities of water against the skin.
Well, we don't even really need that, plain water is sufficient, it is just not nearly as convenient or soothing or fun as a good soap. In fact, I usually do a water only shave when I travel, but it is just a WTG pass of under a minute or so.

Ask your dermartologist about "Dalli Kernseife". You will see a surprised smile because it is one the most recommended soaps ever.

Ask your dermartologist about "Dalli Kernseife". You will see a surprised smile because it is one the most recommended soaps ever.
My skin is very weird with soaps, and this one works like a charm, no dryness or irritation. The list of ingredients is rather simple so the chances that it would cause an allergy or some reaction to anyone are pretty low I'd guess.

I made some pictures of my lather today, I put a couple of squirts of HEGA after shave balm to cream out the lather a bit, it contains castor oil and potato starch, it worked out quite well.

IMG_20200530_200651.jpgIMG_20200530_205549.jpgIMG_20200530_205645.jpgIMG_20200530_205925.jpg

I'm currently using the dalli Pflege-Kernseife (myDalli - dalli Classic - https://www.mydalli.de/de/produkte/dalli-classic.htm) as my shower soap. It was recommended to me for washing around my temporary ostomy. It's basically the cleanest soap you can get for cheap around here and perfect for that job.
Now I don't need it for that specific purpose any more so I'm using the remain pieces as shower soap. Works great if you don't particularly need a fine smelling soap (it doesn't smell at all).

Maybe I'll try to put a brush to it, just to see what happens without any further pimping.

I'm currently using the dalli Pflege-Kernseife (myDalli - dalli Classic - https://www.mydalli.de/de/produkte/dalli-classic.htm) as my shower soap. It was recommended to me for washing around my temporary ostomy. It's basically the cleanest soap you can get for cheap around here and perfect for that job.
Now I don't need it for that specific purpose any more so I'm using the remain pieces as shower soap. Works great if you don't particularly need a fine smelling soap (it doesn't smell at all).

Maybe I'll try to put a brush to it, just to see what happens without any further pimping.
That is basically the vegan counterpart, with sodium palmate instead of sodium tallowate and with no added perfume. I find the tallow-based one to be creamier, and I like the citrus smell too :)

Top Bottom