o ½ tsp salt

Wet:

o 5 Tbsp vegetable oil

o 1 Tbsp white vinegar

o 1 tsp vanilla extract

o 1 C warm water

Directions:

o Preheat oven to 350 F

o Grease or spray 8X8 pan or cupcake tin(s)

o Sift together the dry ingredients

o Mix together the wet ingredients. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients, and mix until all dry ingredients are moistened. Do Not Overmix.

o Pour into pan and bake for 30-35 min (12 min for cupcakes).

We typically use Pillsbury Creamy Supreme Dark Chocolate icing (milk free and gluten free) because it goes so well with this cake.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
@Ad Astra, here's that dairy & egg free cake I mentioned:

Chocolate Cake: Milk Free & Egg Free

Ingredients:

Dry:

o 1 ½ C cake flour

o 4 Tbsp Cocoa

o 1 C white sugar

o 1 tsp baking powder

o 1 tsp baking soda

o ½ tsp salt

Wet:

o 5 Tbsp vegetable oil

o 1 Tbsp white vinegar

o 1 tsp vanilla extract

o 1 C warm water

Directions:

o Preheat oven to 350 F

o Grease or spray 8X8 pan or cupcake tin(s)

o Sift together the dry ingredients

o Mix together the wet ingredients. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients, and mix until all dry ingredients are moistened. Do Not Overmix.

o Pour into pan and bake for 30-35 min (12 min for cupcakes).

We typically use Pillsbury Creamy Supreme Dark Chocolate icing (milk free and gluten free) because it goes so well with this cake.

I can do this! Thanks. :chef:

AA

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
I can do this! Thanks. :chef:

It really is easy. It is a little different than baking a "normal" cake, but it's an easy learning curve.

Do not underbake it. If anything, you might even want to overbake it (but just a little). Since it does not have eggs, it doesn't dry out in the same way that other cakes do. If you underbake it, though, it leaves a sort of film on your tongue (like underbaked batters tend to do).

That's Wacky Cake!!! Cool. My cousin found it in an old cook book donated to the library where she lived, when she was learning to cook for her galactosemic daughter. I haven't made it in a long time. I need to. I actually preferred it to regular chocolate cake. Super tasty if you dump a can of cherry pie filling on top and spread it out.

TexLaw is totally correct. Underbaking is BAD. I tried to make a lava cake out of it. bad bad idea.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
That's Wacky Cake!!!

I love that name! I wish we had known that back with the kids were little bitty. They would have loved that! We prefer it, as well--moist and very chocolaty! We also tried the white cake recipe, but it did not really fly.

You just stick a toothpick in it, to see if it's done ... If it comes out clean, no?

Correct, but good and clean--not sticky. While we've never really tried to overbake it, it seems like this recipe is fairly forgiving in that regard. I think the last one was in the oven for about 40 minutes and came out very good. Without having the true expert handy (that being Mrs. TL), I'd recommend working around the 35 minute mark and varying from there as your experience deems appropriate. I'll try to remember to ask her, though.

We were making this cake successfully at 7000 feet with no adjustments, so it is pretty forgiving with altitude as well.

@TexLaw I was not aware of a white cake version. What was wrong with it in your opinion?

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
I was not aware of a white cake version. What was wrong with it in your opinion?

It's been 15 years or more since we last tried it, but our collective recollection is that it just didn't taste good. I vaguely recall it tasting like nothing more than the oil we used.

Top Bottom