What's new

Daily Shaving

A question for those of you who do not shave daily. What is the reason(s) that you do not shave daily?

I prefer a clean-shaven look and find that I can go about 36 hours between shaves to maintain that appearance, but almost always shave every 24 hours to stay with a routine. In addition, shaving is a pleasant, relaxing experience for me.

I have sensitive skin, so must make sure that I don't rush a shave. (Let me not speak of the bad-old-days experience of shaving with a cartridge).

A second question regarding blade changing. Whatever blade I use, I invariably get a better shave on the second day, so am less apt to change blades frequently ( a week per blade is my average). Do any of you experience that same thing with a new blade? Any suggestions from those who get a great shave right away?

I usually don’t shave on Wednesday night nor Saturday night.

Don’t have to work Thursdays or Sundays, no need to look THAT presentable, plus I just enjoy the break. Sometimes I’ll do it anyway, but most of the time I just have better things to do.

Wednesday night is jam night with the doom crew, no need to shave for that. Saturdays is drinking night and PUBG with my brother and some friends, no need to shave. Usually do it Thursday/Saturday morning. I’m up early and the girls sleep late so I get the house to myself, take my time and enjoy it.

2nd question is yes.

A lot of blades have a coating on them that wears down after first shave, they’re sharper after.

Gillette Platinums work for me, pretty much same shave from 1st to 5th or so.

I don't have to shave daily as my cart shave keeps me presentable for a few days. I also have rosacea, daily shaving would be detrimental.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
If I'm going to get shaving in during the week, it's at night. Mornings are way too rushed and I like to relax, take my time and really give myself an excellent shave.

Plus, my wife really likes it when I'm all shaved and cologned for her. ;)

I don’t really need to shave for work. I generally shave Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. This is a leftover from my cartridge days. As my DE technique improves I may shave more. As of now, I am using the days off to allow more recovery of the skin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I work from home so no real need to shave but after 3-4 days its time to clean up. I use a blade twice and toss it. I have a coarse beard and life's too short to not use a fresh blade.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
I prefer the clean shaven look. Now shaving is quite enjoyable I like shaving everyday.

A second question regarding blade changing. Whatever blade I use, I invariably get a better shave on the second day, so am less apt to change blades frequently ( a week per blade is my average). Do any of you experience that same thing with a new blade? Any suggestions from those who get a great shave right away?
The ONLY blade I've used that was better on the first use was a QShave Titanium blade that shipped with my Futur clone.
It was amazingly smooth and sharp on the first shave, then it rapidly went downhill. Tossed it on day 3 or 4, I think.
All others have been better with two, three, or five shaves on them. I'm disappointed if I don't get at least 20 shaves out of one.

To simulate the 2nd-day smoothness, try "corking" a new blade.
See What is your corking technique?
Some prefer to use styrofoam instead of a real cork, but whatever the method it appears to be a controversial technique.
Maybe it works on some blades and not others.

I shave every day .
The main reason is that I don't want to look like a hobo (our 90% of the men around me that are "rocking" a beard).
The other reason is that if I don't shave daily I get a terrible itch and discomfort on my face .
It only takes me 5 minutes to achieve a BBS shave (4 pass DE shave with shaving foam/gel) anyhow so it's no biggie time wise.
I have no advice on the blade question cause I have never experienced your problem with a new blade,they all shave just fine, I just change the blade every Saturday morning just like my dad tought me (so I use each blade for 7 shaves and none of these shaves is smoother or better than the other).

Just out of curiosity, what kind of work do you guys do that you are truly required to be clean shaven? Scruff, stubble, and beards seem to be the new norm now. I'm just curious as things seem to be so casual in general. I see people in suit and tie with scruffy faces....

A recent broken leg and ankle interrupted my shave routine and I grew a beard. Shaved the neck and cheeks every two, three days to keep things looking neat. Now I'm back to clean shaven and I shave pretty much every day. I occasionally skip a Saturday shave. I really enjoy taking two days growth off that next day.

I enjoy skipping a day or two per week. I feel it gives my skin a chance to heal. I will shave every day I go into work, but weekends depends.

I shave every other day at the moment. Work does not require a clean shaven look, and growth is slow enough that two days is not over long, or too touch to get through. All that being said . . .

our recent bathroom reno may see a switch to daily shaving, as I plan to take more showers than baths going forward.

Just out of curiosity, what kind of work do you guys do that you are truly required to be clean shaven? Scruff, stubble, and beards seem to be the new norm now. I'm just curious as things seem to be so casual in general. I see people in suit and tie with scruffy faces....

I am retired and still shave every day as I have done since I was 14 and started shaving. The advice from my late mother that is in my signature sums up my philosophy.

I am retired and still shave every day as I have done since I was 14 and started shaving. The advice from my late mother that is in my signature sums up my philosophy.

Oh, I understand why folks want to shave everyday. Was just curious about those who feel they HAVE to for their job.

M

member 119848

I shave every week day, but my skin needs a pause once a week, so I skip a shave during the weekend.
As for blades-management, I keep things easy: a new blade every monday.
Happy shaves.

I too wonder what jobs still require the clean shaven look. I assume a lot of upper level jobs still have an unwritten rule not to show up sporting a 5 o’clock, but actually requiring a shave? Not sure. I used to deliver pizzas for Disney in my college years and they actually did require you be clean shaven. I think they did away with that a few years ago. Horrible company to work for but that was a lucrative job during my broke college days.

I honestly believe I get better shaves if I shave every other day. I have no idea why, but it really does seem as though I get closer and smother with less irritation if I go every other day. Of course, if I'm heavy on meetings, I shave every day.

Top Bottom