What's new

Daily shaving, blade thickness, and days of growth

Controversial take: If you shave daily, most blades will feel about the same on the face.

The nuance in deciding the "quality" of blades is generally for those that need to cut down multiple days' worth of growth. The thickness of the blades seems to have the primary impact on how a blade does on multiple days' worth of growth. GSBs are wonderfully smooth for 1-3 days of growth ime, but they seem to tug on anything over that number of days; whereas, Nacets can feel a bit harsh on a day's growth but tug significantly less on a week's growth ime. Nacets and GSB are fairly close in their level of sharpness, but the Nacet is about 23% thicker, which is probably what makes their performance different at a week's growth.

For those interested, here is a list of blade thickness measurements:

Interesting idea, makes sense to me. In addition to blade thickness, I wonder if the coating has anything to do with smoothness or tugging?

I don't agree, either in theory or in my experience.

The amount of growth impacts the ability of the DE razor to clear the cuttings; to avoid clogging. The width of the whiskers at skin level remains the same, as does the density and mass. Whiskers, at least mine, just grow longer between shaves, not thicker, or denser.

The length of my stubble has no bearing on my blade choice, they will all cut hair at the base just as well. It does impact my razor choice, as I want something that can effectively deal with the thickets of whiskers going through the gap.

Top Bottom