For the last few weeks I follow the same rotation:

Mon Williams+EveryManJack Merkur HD
Tue Williams+EveryManJack Merkur HD
Wed Williams+CO Bigelow Merkur HD
Thu Williams+EveryManJack Merkur HD
Fri Williams+EveryManJack Merkur HD
Sat Williams Only Merkur HD
Sun Williams+AOS Sandalwood Merkur HD

As I run out of product things will change.

Do any of you have a set pattern?

Nope.... Every day can be a different soap/cream or blade.

Always one of 2 razors as I have gotten rid of all the rest except Futur and Vision 2000.

Nope here, too. Could be any soap or any razor, although the Kai and Feather folding and non-folding are getting a lot of love recently. DE89 on the days I don't use those....occasionally a superspeed or an SE....

I alternate with a DE and SE razor until I have to change blades and then I switch to a different DE and SE razor. That is also when I change my brush. My soaps and creams change every day.

Last edited:
I'm just trying to get through the shaving cream samples I have. Razors...I save the R41 for the weekends so I'm not hurried.

I rotate my brushes in a set order, but everything else is random, including the razor. In fact, this morning I took the blade out of my R89 and shaved with my Fatboy instead, just on a whim at the last second. Glad I did, too. Worked out to be an awesome shave.

I use the same razor (I only have two), same soap and same blade for a week of daily shaving. I only have one brush, so that gets used every day. I change blades, select a different soap and maybe change razors for the next week's shaves after I shave on Sunday morning. I like it simple.

I enjoy changing products daily. I usually select the soap/cream, AS, cologne and brush the night before and set it out. I will use a the same razor and blade for a few days in a row but have another at the ready. I rotate razors and blades quite a bit but am finding that I prefer some over others so I am returning to old favorites. I keep thinking that I should cull the herd of products, but find that I really enjoy the wide variety. I do find that changing software seasonally is very enjoyable. Some products just seem to work better for me that way.

Regards,

Doug

I use only one razor, a Feather AS D1, with a new Feather Blade every day. I have about a dozen Simpsons, all Super, that I rotate daily. (And I have a Rover LE on the way.) I keep three soaps in rotation (AdP, MdC, and MWF). I generally use one every day for a week straight for lathering continuity. I have some other soaps/creams that I use occasionally, but only to remind myself why I don't use them more often.

I used to rotate every day on brushes and creams, and change razors whenever I changed blades, and change blade type whenever I finished a box of 5 or 10. This year, however, I decided to modify that, and now am using the same soap, same razor, same blade every day for a week, changing only the brush to give my boars a little extra time to dry. I'm down to the Ever Ready/WhippedDog ST, 1305, 610, 2011 LE Bristle 2, and a (still unused) LE Bristle 1. I use the ER every other day and rotate the boars in some semblance of order.

I've found that using the same cream every day has improved my lather quality by quite a bit. I noticed the past couple of mornings (RazoRock XXX) that I had a hard time rinsing the slickness of my face at the end of the shave; my face still felt slippery like it was lathered even though I had given it a couple of warm water splashes.

I rotate razors, but only to minimise hone wear and keep each one shaving well. I've just reached the point where I need to touch them all up on a hone before each shave so some may get taken out for a re-hone. There's method in the madness!

I do whatever seems good to me at the time.

My skin may not allow certain soaps or AS due to sensitivity. Some days it will tolerate more than others. I have had nothing but skin trouble lately.

I like to mix them up but this may well be because I had a bunch of blades given to me which I wanted to try and I have now also built up a regular bunch of soaps.

When I get through these individual blades I have a few tucks of different blades that I will probably work through in a rotation as follows:
Blade 1 - Single day each of my iKon OSS, Gillette Fatboy, EJ DE89, Muhle R41 (2010) & maybe Gillette Tech if the blade is holding out. This will give me a feel for the blade in each razor in quick succession
Blade 2 - iKon OSS
Blade 3 - Gillette Fatboy
Blade 4 - EJ DE89
Blade 5 - Muhle R41 (2010)

Maybe when each blade is fading after the 4th day then I may again slip it into the Tech.

This will allow me to work through the 5 or 6 tucks of blades I have in addition to some bulk supplies of Crystal, Red IP & Astra SP.

I load a new blade into a razor on Sunday morning and shave with it until the following Saturday. I usually mug lather with VDH Luxury or CADE during the weekdays and I face lather with RSC or Proraso cream on the weekends.

I used to change razors when I changed blades but now mostly stay with the slant razor and rotate a small stock of soap and cream.

Having a lot of everything, a routine, and a rotation, by no means should be construed into thinking that some of us have invested any thought, or reason, to what we are using in the mornings. My routine is to make coffee first. A little tranquility before the rest of the house is up. With coffee in hand I head into the bathroom and truly pick a soap or cream on a whim. Brush, razor, blade, aftershave and everything else kinda flows from that choice. Part of the enjoyment is in the complete spontaneity of what to use in morning without investing any thought, whatsoever, into the decision. There is enough decisions, and premeditated thought, awaiting outside the front door and I refuse to invest such rigors into the process when starting my day.

I switch between my shavette and my Merkur HD depending on time. Once I get my hone set from Whippeddog.com, I will start using my straight more. My brush depends on what I use (creams-badger; soap-boar). The aftershave depends on the mood. The only consistant is the alum. Even the water temp will change. I like cold water (and the wife likes me not using up all of the hot water) but sometimes I don't care.

Top Bottom