What's new

Dad's Cave is going

Well that's it's guys, after 20 plus years with my own en-suit / shave cave with all my own stuff, a small room for me to relax in, read, radio listen etc we're moving to a new house with no en-suit but a larger family bathroom.

As our daughter is charging towards 16, we've found we no longer need so much room. Currently have (this is big by UK standards) a 4 bed, 2 bathroom double garage (big enough for regular UK cars but too small for our SUV's) detached. The back garden is 120'x 90' while the front garden is half as big again, the wife has no interest and after a week at work of 14 hr days my interest levels drop on the weekend and it's now a chore not a hobby to tidy. Other down sides are it's top of a hill and the drive up is like scaling Everest.

The new place is 3 slightly bigger bedrooms, fitted wardrobes and only one bathroom, no garage but a big old work shop. Tiny garden. But it also has built in AC, under floor heating, 2 American fridge, freezers built in, huge kitchen, sat TV in every room and a fully boarded attic. It also allows us to pay the best part of the mortgage off too, so part time working in 24 months or so. And the drive is flat.

So on one hand I'm loosing my Cave but on the other I gaining a work shop (14'x 12') with hot 'n' cold etc, etc.

So should I be sad because we're going smaller and no cave or happy because I can use my new found work shop space to practice my wood working skills and sort out a cabinet for my 40 brushes, razors......you know how it is let's call it the stuff.

Billski

Here I am, 1st again.
Be happy . You now have a work shop . The shave cave is gone, but you can still have some fellowship with the B and B guys.

Could you turn the workshop into a shave cave?

See now that's my thinking, bare bones gear in the bathroom, change when needed, and nice cupboard in the work shop, clean end / area. The wife says if there's a free wall in the smallest bed room (which is to be an office so she can work from home) I can even have a suitable looking cupboard in there. It seems like my anxiety is turning into win, win. 🥳🥳🥳

Why not build a sink in the workshop and use that as a shave den

Critters getting into the soaps and brushes, though. Take the Missus up on a cabinet in the home office, so switching out is easy, and then make that man-cave in the workshop a thing to behold.

Critters getting into the soaps and brushes, though. Take the Missus up on a cabinet in the home office, so switching out is easy, and then make that man-cave in the workshop a thing to behold.

Couldn't sleep last night, ideas of my perfect man-shop whizzing around the old noggin. Electrical sockets spaced nice and correctly, may be a small lathe, tools all well cleaned and stored properly (hung up, cased etc) and may be just may be a little room in a corner to keep my telescopes assembled (currently have to disassemble to bring back into the house). Even may have a couple of heaters for when it's cold, portable TV next to my technics separates system and a comfy chair for when I'm not at the bench. Also seen some really nice slim type cupboards / cabinets for my Kent collection and other brushes, soaps, razors you know.....the stuff.

Chef455

Head Cheese Head Chef
In two years or so, you can make the daughter's room a shave den...
This ^^^ Complete with a fitted wardrobe! Congratulations on the move! And don't let those girls bully you out of your fair share of space in the bathroom!

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
Just going to state the obvious. If you have a choice, choose to be happy. The other way ain't no fun, no how.

Top Bottom