What's new

D.W.P. Palestine DE razor

Dear all,

I just received this hefty (80g) old thing:

$IMG_20150922_135602621.jpg$IMG_20150922_135621752.jpg$IMG_20150922_135708720.jpg

I would say it's solid brass but there were some rusty bits under the thick layer of gunk that covered it in places.
What puzzles me is it's provenance. The markings read: Approved by D.W.P. Palestine
Now DWP could be Department of Work and Pensions (a British Mandate or Yishuv/pre-state jewish body?) but I can't find anything online.
It is also, as you might see in the photos, the crudest looking cast brass shaving head I have ever seen. It was at one stage chrome/silver plated but that is long gone.
Anyway, any information on this piece of history would be greatly appreciated.
Much obliged,
p_m

Thanks. I exchanged the top with a Matador Precision one - that could tame it a bit as the blade is not centred otherwise.

First shave this morning - I did use a different top as the original is not straight.
ASP blade, MEM (obviously) shaving cream and off we went.
Nice shave, very aggressive but due to its weight it shaved on its own. No issues with the handle - I try to keep the lather on the face and brush.
Won't be my 'hangover-morning' go-to razor but it works.

Now, any information on it is highly appreciated :)

I have a Pleese razor made in what was then Palestine under the British. Pleese went on to make stuff for the Israeli Army such as razors, helmets and so on. Mine looks nothing like yours, but I would not be surprised to learn that they had more than one model.

It might be a Pleese. Does it have this mark on it?

proxy.php

I have a Pleese razor made in what was then Palestine under the British. Pleese went on to make stuff for the Israeli Army such as razors, helmets and so on. Mine looks nothing like yours, but I would not be surprised to learn that they had more than one model.
It might be a Pleese. Does it have this mark on it?
Nope, it does not have the IDF Zadik. It must be pre-state thus also pre-IDF. The Pleese you have is post '48 as it has the IDF marking.

Well, it might be a PLEESE - but would be an early one...
https://books.google.de/books?
In Wait's book I only find the Gillette Tech clone mentioned.
Found this - it refers to your IDF razor Haiku:
The Razor is stamped " Amcor " and " Pleese ". The Israeli Amcor Company made this razor in the 1950s and up to the 1970s for the IDF (Israel Defense force). It has the army mark on the bottom of the handle (" צ "). The razor comes apart in three sections and screws back together. The symbol on the bottom of the razor is the I.D.F official logo that is marked on every army item since 1948. It is a Hebrew letter abbreviated from the Hebrew word ZAHAL which means I.D.F. The razor was introduced as standard issue to new recruitments.

Dear all,

I just received this hefty (80g) old thing:

View attachment 602421View attachment 602422View attachment 602423

I would say it's solid brass but there were some rusty bits under the thick layer of gunk that covered it in places.
What puzzles me is it's provenance. The markings read: Approved by D.W.P. Palestine
Now DWP could be Department of Work and Pensions (a British Mandate or Yishuv/pre-state jewish body?) but I can't find anything online.
It is also, as you might see in the photos, the crudest looking cast brass shaving head I have ever seen. It was at one stage chrome/silver plated but that is long gone.
Anyway, any information on this piece of history would be greatly appreciated.
Much obliged,
p_m
Pleese was a Jewish Corp located in city Holon. When Israel became a state the company was named Pleese Amcor in 1950s. They made razors for the Israeli army til the 70s.

Pleese was a Jewish Corp located in city Holon. When Israel became a state the company was named Pleese Amcor in 1950s. They made razors for the Israeli army til the 70s.
Thanks Alex. I have read an old thread by straight arrow that is giving that information on his PLEESE razor - alas, I am not sure mine is a PLEESE at all. I pmed him and await his answer. Maybe comparing his, clearly marked, PLEESE razor with mine can shed some more light on it but I doubt it looking at the PLEESE/AMSCOR razors out there which are Gillette'esque in form.

I also found the helmets and even espresso machine (very snazzy indeed) manufactured by PLEESE but not one razor that remotely resembles this one. :)

Nope, it does not have the IDF Zadik. It must be pre-state thus also pre-IDF. The Pleese you have is post '48 as it has the IDF marking.

It happens mine doesn't have teh IDF Zadik, this was from another post from some time ago. Mine simply says Made in Palestine and Pleese

Here's another D.W.P. Palestine Razor, for your interest. It's quite hefty, the vendor said it was 100 grams but I haven't weighed it myself. I haven't even tried it since I just received it. It appears to be quite similar to the D.W.P. Palestine razor that started this thread except if you look closely I believe that the base plate may be slightly different. Looks like some traces of silver plating still can be found. I would have thought it was German made (Mulcuto Nadelspitzen or Asan Schlusser perhaps) if it didn't say Palestine on it. Perhaps it was imported? Obviously, a bit rough, but I like it. The price was right: 1 Euro.

All Brass Razor, Palestine, heavy1.JPG All Brass Razor, Palestine, heavy2.JPG All Brass Razor, Palestine, heavy3.JPG All Brass Razor, Palestine, heavy4.JPG All Brass Razor, Palestine, heavy5.JPG All Brass Razor, Palestine, heavy6.JPG

Top Bottom