What's new

D-Ring vs "Heavy Handle" (Paddle Handle)

Thanks all that gave input! My strop arrived today! A 3" Heirloom Artisan Roughout Heavy Draw Steerhide Strop with the D-ring and flax linen. (I just checked and it looks like this is out of stock right now...)

I don't see the D-rings being an issue at all (other than the clanking noise described above LOL). It is very well made and significantly more robust than my previous one. I still have to try it out. My previous strop will be relegated to the garage for knife stropping duty.

proxy.php
proxy.php

D ring all the way for me. I fight with tennis elbow and this type of handle is much more comfortable. Also, for me, you have to have more space to stretch the leather with a paddle handle, especially in a small bathroom, this can be important.

Put me down for barbers end (no hardware). Then D ring. Then handle. It's a size/weight/efficiency thing for me though. I don't prefer the look or function of one to the other, so the D ring is lighter, less complicated, takes up less space, and potentially cheaper. I will ALWAYS take a barber end over either if given the choice however.

Tony Miller

Speaking of horse butts…
Put me down for barbers end (no hardware). Then D ring. Then handle. It's a size/weight/efficiency thing for me though. I don't prefer the look or function of one to the other, so the D ring is lighter, less complicated, takes up less space, and potentially cheaper. I will ALWAYS take a barber end over either if given the choice however.

That would be my favorite as well. They do not seem as popular with guys now days but I like the classic look. Handles and D-ring may be a bit easier to hold but I have always favored tradition over comfort or ease of use in most things.

Raymondmillbrae

Totally bogus
I won one of Tony’s basic strops in a PIF on this forum not too long ago.

Great strop with a “D-ring”.

Then I ordered one of his “Old No 2” horsehide and flax linen strops, with the heavy leather handle.

I love the look and smell of leather. (I also carve leather as a hobby). So the look was a part of it.

This newest addition will be going in my master bathroom, which has white walls. And not wanting the clanging and scuff marks on my wall, was another factor for the heavy leather handles.

By the way, Tony’s strop, and a new WCS Beacon synthetic brush, both arrived yesterday.

It was a great shave this morning.

2EA41C94-762C-43F1-99B6-02B552FA0100.jpeg

I won one of Tony’s basic strops in a PIF on this forum not too long ago.

Great strop with a “D-ring”.

Then I ordered one of his “Old No 2” horsehide and flax linen strops, with the heavy leather handle.

I love the look and smell of leather. (I also carve leather as a hobby). So the look was a part of it.

This newest addition will be going in my master bathroom, which has white walls. And not wanting the clanging and scuff marks on my wall, was another factor for the heavy leather handles.

By the way, Tony’s strop, and a new WCS Beacon synthetic brush, both arrived yesterday.

It was a great shave this morning.

View attachment 1146745
I am now drooling!

I don't use cloth and I like a 2.5 inch strop. That means I can use hybrid barbershop for the bottom.

Remove the bottom D ring and then reattach the bottom leather cap.

I don't like the bottom D ring as it bangs against the drywall and I have to be very careful dropping the strop after use. I don't feel a need for it.

Pure barbershop, meaning nothing on the bottom, is nice, but it's nicer to have that leather cap as it gives my hand something to grip. A bit better grip than pure barbershop.

And it still satisfies Slash's point, about reversing the hone when the top is cut up. Since the bottom has holes (masked nicely by the cap) you can reverse it. You don't need that bottom D ring to reverse it, you just need holes.

For most of us 3 inch is to large and awkward for a pure barbershop grip. Fortunately I prefer a 2.5 inch strop anyway.

I've always thought the fancy handles only make sense for 3 inch strops, which are too wide to grip.

IMG_1149.jpg

Actually,
what I like are the rectangular rings that the paddle handles attach to.
I hold my SRP strop by those rings
with my thumb and index finger.

Tony Miller

Speaking of horse butts…
Actually,
what I like are the rectangular rings that the paddle handles attach to.
I hold my SRP strop by those rings
with my thumb and index finger.

Using leather caps, even without rings helps stiffen the bottom of both leather and cloth and makes the strop feel more substantial as well. I do them on my Barber End strops on request.

Using leather caps, even without rings helps stiffen the bottom of both leather and cloth and makes the strop feel more substantial as well. I do them on my Barber End strops on request.

*And* when I use the one of my strops which has D rings,
I grip it at the top edge of the leather caps.

Yes, bottom leather caps are good.

And if you make a mistake and slice the top of the strop, you can reverse the strop. You don't need a D ring in the bottom to do that, just the holes.

It does mean you use a 2.5 inch instead of a 3 inch. 3 inch is too wide for a comfortable grip unless you have enormous hands. I wear a size large glove, and 3 inch is too wide.

I prefer the 2.5. But if you like 3, then you probably want a D ring or a paddle strop, just to get a good grip.

Top Bottom