What's new

D.R. Harris Windsor Scent Shaving Soap - Best Lathering Technique?

Hi everyone,

In addition to stocking up on some existing soaps, such as Mitchell's Wool Fat, I just ordered a puck of D.R.Harris triple milled Windsor scent shaving soap taking advantage of Connaught Shaving's low prices (just 9 pounds or $10.50 U.S. for this) for those of us in the U.S. (see link below to post in shopping & deals). Chose this based on various positive reviews from other B&B members of the D.R. Harris soap line.

To those with experience with the D.R. Harris hard soaps what is the best way to build lather? Is it the same technique I use with my other tallow based triple milled soaps (Mitchell's and Williams) of initially building directly on the puck and then face lathering with a stiff boar brush or is there a more effective approach that has worked for you?

I use the Marlborough puck with a synthetic brush regularly. I squeeze most of the water out of the brush and do half a dozen swirls on the puck to pick up soap. Scrub the soap onto my face until I have good coverage, and then add water drops onto the brush and scrub and swirl, probably twice in total, until I have the desired consistency/slickness.

FWIW, I don't consider Harris pucks require any special treatment above or beyond Lea, Saponifici Varesino, Fine, MWF, Tabac, or any of the other soaps I use. The only variable is how much water I introduce during the lathering, and that is neither scientific nor signififcant. They are very good soaps, and don't require much to work well.

DR Harris soaps are top notch in both quality and scent in my opinion. I generally bowl lather but face lathering works just as well, it all depends on your preference. Boars, badgers and synths all work well, just make sure you load enough soap on your brush as it’s a hard soap. I give my brush a squeeze before loading but see what works best for you. It’s structure is different to MWF but both are great soaps.

DR Harris, tallow, hard soaps are top notch. I enjoy Arlington and Windsor both in stock and puck form. I lather them the same as every other soap in my den. Start with a damp brush and slowly add water from a dribbling tap directly. to the brush for face lather or the bowl for bowl lathering. DR Harris produces a slick, dense lather that is resistant to dripping and running. Keep adding water until the lather is shiny and smooth with droopy peaks. Follow up with the matching aftershave milk. This is one of the best soaps on the market. Enjoy!

05DE1599-1D25-4A47-809F-719B3CBDB67C.jpeg

You can use almost any type of shaving brush, just make sure you load enough soap. It may take longer with softer brushes. Face lathering is my favorite way to use those soaps. Load your brush, paint on a soap paste, add water gradually in around three stages.

My D. R. Harris Windsor refill puck arrived a few days ago. Haven't used it yet but the puck aroma was nice. Kind of surprised at the basic packaging. Just an unwrapped puck in the box, no different than budget Williams Shave Soap here in the states. Took a look at the on-line pictures again that that is indeed how the soap is packaged.

Surprised it was not packaged more like Mitchell's Wool Fat (MWF) that is first wrapped in glassine tissue and placed in a higher end two component box. Lower priced soaps such as LEA and Tabac all have in inner paper or foil wrapper in addition to the box.

Still looking forward to using it as soon as I 3017 what is in one of my containers. As a triple milled tallow based soap additional packaging is not required for freshness.

Last edited:
I'm having trouble with subsequent passes with D R Harris Windsor. First pass has been consistently good, but after that, my razor skips instead of slides. Very unpleasant, same results with two different razors.

I've been loading boar and badger brushes off of the puck that I pre-wet as I shower. I've tried both bowl and face lathering. I've tried longer load times, but after a point the brushes no longer load. I've tried less and more water. I've tried whipping it longer.

The only thing that has worked so far is to rinse out the brush and load/lather again after the first pass.

I'm annoyed at it right now and want a break, but any tips on fixing my issue when I come back around?

Brushes used were Zenith B33 and Simpson Duke 2 or 3 in Best, can't remember right now. Both are well used and well loved.

I'm having trouble with subsequent passes with D R Harris Windsor. First pass has been consistently good, but after that, my razor skips instead of slides. Very unpleasant, same results with two different razors.

I've been loading boar and badger brushes off of the puck that I pre-wet as I shower. I've tried both bowl and face lathering. I've tried longer load times, but after a point the brushes no longer load. I've tried less and more water. I've tried whipping it longer.

The only thing that has worked so far is to rinse out the brush and load/lather again after the first pass.

I'm annoyed at it right now and want a break, but any tips on fixing my issue when I come back around?

Brushes used were Zenith B33 and Simpson Duke 2 or 3 in Best, can't remember right now. Both are well used and well loved.
I had exactly the same issue with my recent first use of this soap. Going to try again.

No need to get annoyed, you seem to be following a ‘rule’ that was never written. I have been wet-shaving for more than 50 years and have always loaded the brush with fresh soap/cream for each pass except the final touch-up where I just scoop up the lather that is left in the soap bowl.

People develop different preferences, but to my knowledge there was never an iron-clad rule that you can charge the brush only once per shave.
And if there were, then I have opted out a long time ago because a good lubrication from my shaving cream or soap is more important to me… :biggrin1:

And because of that I consider D.R. Harris shaving soap a first-class product and get great shaves from it. :thumbup1:

B.

For todays shave I added another dollop of water for each successive pass and it worked a treat. Also used a synth v the boar from last time so maybe the boar was feeling hungry that time round. 🐗

No need to get annoyed, you seem to be following a ‘rule’ that was never written. I have been wet-shaving for more than 50 years and have always loaded the brush with fresh soap/cream for each pass except the final touch-up where I just scoop up the lather that is left in the soap bowl.

People develop different preferences, but to my knowledge there was never an iron-clad rule that you can charge the brush only once per shave.
And if there were, then I have opted out a long time ago because a good lubrication from my shaving cream or soap is more important to me… :biggrin1:

And because of that I consider D.R. Harris shaving soap a first-class product and get great shaves from it. :thumbup1:

B.

Spot on, I am following a rule that was never written! There's enough lather for additional passes, it's just not good lather. That's new for me, and I'm not into it, but the scent and first pass lather are pleasing enough to try a different method for this soap.

For todays shave I added another dollop of water for each successive pass and it worked a treat. Also used a synth v the boar from last time so maybe the boar was feeling hungry that time round. 🐗

I had considered trying a synth brush, but I'm locked in to Decemboar for the rest of the month. I'll give that a try too!

I usually face lather and with D R Harris soap I drizzle some warm water on the puck before loading. I start with a wettish but not very wet brush ( usually an Omega boar but a good synthetic works just as well ) and load from the puck for 30 swirls. Then I drizzle some more water on the puck and give the brush thirty more swirls and then drizzle more water on the puck and repeat that process of alternately wetting the puck and loading the brush four times in all.

So heavy loading and repeatedly adding a little water to the puck. Then wet the face and take the brush to the face to work up the lather adding still more water to the tips of the brush as necessary. I put a small amount of warm water in the bottom of the brush soaking mug so I can easily dip the tips of the brush without taking up too much water.

Top Bottom