What's new

D.R. Harris Windsor, and old favorite, still shines ...

DR Harris Marlborough was the only DR Harris's soaps I have tried so far. It was amazing but I decided to explore further and tried Arko, Muhle, Propaso, GFT creams some artisan soaps after that. They were all good but it's DR Harris that brings those fantastic memories (I admit that it was also a very happy period of my life when I used it). So now I have a pack of Arlington in a beech bowl that sits and waits until I finish my current soaps to bring back the memories. Most likely I will not use only DR Harris but it will be constantly in my daily use as long as they don't change the formula and in the business.

D*mn, does this mean I have to get the elegant Harris ceramic soap bowl?

B5D6E6A0-5083-412C-A12D-B7950148E36B.jpeg

I’ve never been drawn the the new age soaps with skulls, aliens, or hipsters on the label.

As far as the old school luxury soap, my fruga…cheap nature has kept me from trying one. There are just so many affordable, excellent, established brands out there that have kept me happy for many years.

But I would be lying to say that I haven’t heard the Dr. Harris siren song from time to time.

I just saw that Harris ceramic bowl for the first time today and got an endorphin rush. A regular bowl means the soap spinning problem, although there are ways around that, and anyway custom bowls aren’t better, but having a lid is nice. If I can resist buying a few days I’ll get over it.

I have been inspired by this thread to try the aforementioned classic soaps (DR Harris, TOBS, etc.) and possibly save me from going down the nouveau soap black hole.

The artisan offerings are overwhelming with edgy names and colorful labels that feed our insatiable quest for shaving eureka.

I just saw that Harris ceramic bowl for the first time today and got an endorphin rush. A regular bowl means the soap spinning problem, although there are ways around that, and anyway custom bowls aren’t better, but having a lid is nice. If I can resist buying a few days I’ll get over it.
Wet the soap and let it stick to the ceramic bowl over night. In this case, since the bowl has a flat bottom, I'd wet the top of the soap and attach the puck. upside down, since it's flat and will provide more sticking surface area to the container as well as an even easier loading angle for the brush with the sloping puck bottom (sloaping down from center) and an increasingly flattening and increasing surface area that finishes with an entire flat covered surface rather then a donut as you wear through the puck. Does that make sense?

Wet the soap and let it stick to the ceramic bowl over night. In this case, since the bowl has a flat bottom, I'd wet the top of the soap and attach the puck. upside down, since it's flat and will provide more sticking surface area to the container as well as an even easier loading angle for the brush with the sloping puck bottom (sloaping down from center) and an increasingly flattening and increasing surface area that finishes with an entire flat covered surface rather then a donut as you wear through the puck. Does that make sense?
Yes I’ve done this sometimes, but my preference is (gently) forcing the puck into a narrowing bowl until it fits snugly. Here is my new DRH Sandalwood in a little bowl I got for a couple $s at a thrift store, I have several of varying shapes and sizes for this.

C3CE55FC-EDED-493D-BA06-C437CBF7958C.jpeg

I don’t have any issues with the puck spinning in the wooden bowls offered by DRH. They seem to stick once you start using them.

Just shaved with D.R. Harris Windsor shaving soap for the first time. Very good shave, really loved the scent. Especially liked how the scent came through the lather for the entire shave. Lather quality was very good though I've some more work to do to better dial it in. Suspect I need to load more soap - had some spinning puck issues. Will update on future shaves. Also, will soon be able to compare it to a new puck of Cyril R. Salter shaving soap that uses a similar base.

Details on the shave posted via the link below:

I’ve never been drawn the the new age soaps with skulls, aliens, or hipsters on the label.

As far as the old school luxury soap, my fruga…cheap nature has kept me from trying one. There are just so many affordable, excellent, established brands out there that have kept me happy for many years.

But I would be lying to say that I haven’t heard the Dr. Harris siren song from time to time.
Not sure where you are based. Hear you regarding a U.S. $18-20 price for D.R. Harris. Connaught Shaving sells D.R. Harris for 8 GBP/roughly $10 U.S. that makes it competitive with mass market commercial soaps like Proraso. May be worth going that route especially if there are other items desired that will let you hit the free shipping threshold.

Just posted on my first use of the soap above.

Not sure where you are based. Hear you regarding a U.S. $18-20 price for D.R. Harris. Connaught Shaving sells D.R. Harris for 8 GBP/roughly $10 U.S. that makes it competitive with mass market commercial soaps like Proraso. May be worth going that route especially if there are other items desired that will let you hit the free shipping threshold.

Just posted on my first use of the soap above.
I’m in Canada and thank you for the Connaught suggestion. I’ve never used them before but their name seems to come up more and more these days, might give them a shot.

Just as a comparison, a can of Gillette foam here is about $3, Proraso (cream, soap, or foam) is $8-$9, and Dr. Harris is about $24.

At one point I ordered every variety of the DRH hard soaps from Connaught. I am about 1/5th done with the Marlborough puck and I gave the Lavender and Almond scents as gifts to friends. I don't think that I will be done with the Marlborough anytime soon, but at some point I would like to try the Arlington and Windsor scents. The Marlborough is a very mild and masculine scent. For me the lather is just a bit less slick than MWF, but overall it is excellent. The British really do a nice job with shaving soap.

I have the DRH ceramic bowl and it is very classy. I put little rubber feet on the bottom to cushion it when I set it down and this seems to work very well. However, I too have problems with the puck spinning even when inserted upside down.

One of the characteristics I really like of the bowl is the clear ping sound it makes when you tick the side of the bowl. Ceramic bowls from other sources make a very dull sound.

Top Bottom