What's new

D.R.Harris soaps. Do they lather as well as artisan soaps?

[SIZ4]my favorite soaps are mikes, stirling and qcs. i like them because they lather well and they don't have anything abrasive on the face. are dr harris in the same category?[/IZ

Last edited by a moderator:
Once you figure out the load time and amount of water, Harris soaps and creams are at the top of my list. A new finding for me, face lathering the soap gives me a better consistency than scuttle or bowl lathering Harris.

All in all, top notch products.

Have to agree. DRH soaps (and creams) are excellent! They lather easily and provide an excellent shave. The Windsor and Arlington soaps are always in my rotation.

DRH Marlborough has not been my favorite soap; I just can't get a slick lather out of it. I have two pucks of Stirling in my rotation, both work great.

my favorite soaps are mikes, stirling and qcs. i like them because they lather well and they don't have anything abrasive on the face. are dr harris in the same category?

DR Harris soaps were my go to pucks since the 80's. After trying Mikes, Stirling and Queen Charlotte soaps I think DRH are about on par with these.

Last year I substituted DRH with Mystic Water pucks in my den. For me MW is clearly better than all of the mentioned.

Not for me. For me the Hartis soaps froth up too much right off the bat, and I have a hard time getting them to the creamy lather I want because the lather is always fluffier than I want it to be.
YMMV

The DR Harris soaps are very nice soaps and I love the Arlington scent, but for me not up there in performance with my favorite artisans. It's definitely worth owning and better than most but I'm pretty particular when it comes to soaps, so in my book it's a very good but not an exceptional soap.

DR Harris soaps were my go to pucks since the 80's. After trying Mikes, Stirling and Queen Charlotte soaps I think DRH are about on par with these.

Last year I substituted DRH with Mystic Water pucks in my den. For me MW is clearly better than all of the mentioned.

Amen. All great soaps, though.

I find that the Dr. Harris (Marlborough) lathers quicker than Stirling and QCS, and the lather is better (slickness, cushioning).

my favorite soaps are mikes, stirling and qcs. i like them because they lather well and they don't have anything abrasive on the face. are dr harris in the same category?

QCS is much better for me, bth in terms of shaves and lathering. Stirling did not work for me, I couldn't get it to lather no matter how long I loaded. It's been too long since I have used Mikes, but I remember being impressed with the lather, slickness and post shave feel.

It's definetely a soap everyone should try and depending on your water and techinque, it may work out great for you.

MW is a phenomenal soap and I much prefer it over Harris.

Not for me. For me the Hartis soaps froth up too much right off the bat, and I have a hard time getting them to the creamy lather I want because the lather is always fluffier than I want it to be.
YMMV

Same here...I also found it would dry out by the end of my pass, but if I added more water, it frothed up. I have hard water and wanted to make Harris work and tried, but it just wan't for me.

The DR Harris soaps are very nice soaps and I love the Arlington scent, but for me not up there in performance with my favorite artisans. It's definitely worth owning and better than most but I'm pretty particular when it comes to soaps, so in my book it's a very good but not an exceptional soap.

RazoRock, PdP, Haslinger are all better for me. Harris is not as slick and a bit drying, as many are finding this out in the Harris 3017 thread. That Arlington scent though, is not matched. I find the Harris creams work fine for me.

Last edited:

I think the real question is:

"Do artisan soaps lather as well as DR Harris soaps?"

So, so many artisan soaps do not lather as well as DR Harris. Those that do tend to be very good, and discussed at length in this forum.

I haven't tried any artisan soaps yet, though Stirling's is next on my list to try. I have DR Harris Almond and although the scent is very subtle, the lather is very good and slick.

Razorock, Stirling, Haslinger and Mikes lather better for me. I find British soaps just don't do it for me. Try XXX-t, the lather is crazy good

Razorock, Stirling, Haslinger and Mikes lather better for me. I find British soaps just don't do it for me. Try XXX-t, the lather is crazy good

For those looking for XXX-t, keep in mind that many of the new RR soaps have the same base.

Haslinger is the best lather I have ever used, with PdP right along side.

Harris has some of my favorite old school scents. About once a year I read a thread about Harris, get pumped and buy another puck to try.

I just don't get good protective lather from them. I'm glad that a lot of guys do. I don't see it.

Every guy should at least try the Harris lavender though. It's legendary.

Haven't tried Mike's, Stirling or QCS but DRH was among my favorites and it definitely lathered well.

Last edited:
I've only tried three of the soaps mentioned.

Stirling doesn't lather like a traditional soap. It doesn't get very foamy. Just slick at different hydration levels.

Mike's never lathered well for me. Maybe it's because the samples were too small. I just got really weak lather and the scents were bad, so I never pursued any further.

DR Harris was a middle-of-the-road soap for me. The scent was amazing (Arlington). The lathers lacked slickness though. They were quite foamy from the start, much like MWF.

Top Bottom