What's new

D.R. Harris soap in a wooden bowl

Hi gang. So back in June 2019, I bought the D.R. Harris shave soap, this one, D.R.Harris & Co Marlborough... Amazon.com: D.R.Harris & Co Marlborough Mahogany Effect Shaving Bowl & Shaving Soap: Beauty - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002K9C63I?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

It's the one in the wooden bowl. Well, much to my annoyance, the scent seems to have vanished from the soap. I thought, at the time, wow cool, a wooden bowl, that would be nice and a fun thing to have. So, now, I don't use the soap all the time, I rotate, but I tried lathering it up the other day, and it had very little scent. Am I just SOL with a $36 bowl of rather scentless soap? I realize that the bowl itself doesn't really seal in the soap. But is there any way to bring back the scent?
Thanks, Dave

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry for the duplication. I didn't realize that Tapatalk had posted this. It kept asking for a Prefix, whatever that was. So I assumed that I had to post it on the website itself, hence the other thread I started. And now I can't figure out how to delete this one! Feel free to remove and use the other thread I made. Tapatalk sucks.

most of the harris soaps are not strongly scented compared to other "artisinal" makers of today.

for example I can shave with A&E asian plum.......3 hours later can smell it if I break a sweat.

I don't have all of them......but windsor has a slightly stronger scent.

with this said, Marlborough is my favorite scent and pairs well with either Clubman or Pitralon Classic!!!!!

20200823_090943.jpg

I have been liking Arlington as of late though.

camo

I wonder if I were to take it out of the bowl and put it in a better sealed container? Or is it just too late in general? I will never get a wooden bowl again. Too bad cause it does look cool. By look, I mean, feel, since I can't see, I have no idea what color that wood is. But it looks cool.

It can vary. I have a bowl of Taylor of Old Bond Street Sandelwood that seems to have a more pronounced smell today than it did a year ago. (I’ve certainly learned how to make it lather bett in the year). I’ve seen suggestions to put a few drops of a scent you like on the soap and the aroma may sink in.

Has anyone had this experience with that particular soap and bowl? Or wooden bowls in general?

sorry about your experience.
dr harris soaps have a superb reputation with top-notch tallow performance.
perhaps the last of the major brit houses to keep tallow in their hard soaps.
it's true that drh scents tend to be more subtle than their UK peers.
a couple suggestions.
one, just add a couple drops of Marlborough aftershave or cologne to the bowl before your shave.
second, next time go for the smaller stick, less costly.
by the way, my 4-yr old marlborough stick soap still has a noticeable, woody scent.

DR Harris marlborough red imp april 30 2019.jpg

I had a wooden bowl of Arlington that I stored for some months before using, and the scent was still there for me through many months of enjoying the soap.

It wasn’t overpowering, and I liked it. Many soaps are too strong and lingering for my taste (Tabac, MWF, Arko, Lea, for example).

I would suggest you give it a good dozen tries before giving up on it. It’s good soap. You may get more scent as you get deeper into it.

You tried lathering it up just once? Try it for a week straight and see if the scent comes back. Could be sealed just under the top layer.

Otherwise, couple of drops of the AS on top of the puck while you load the brush would do the trick.

You tried lathering it up just once? Try it for a week straight and see if the scent comes back. Could be sealed just under the top layer.

Otherwise, couple of drops of the AS on top of the puck while you load the brush would do the trick.

Well, I don't have the AS, but I will keep lathering it, yeah I had tried it just once cause I got annoyed there wasn't much if any scent. I do tend to like the stronger scents like tabac and mwf and am really looking forward to this Sir Winston seeing as Blenheim Bouquet seems to be discontinued. That D.R. Harris soap is good, so ok, thanks, I'll keep working with it, I tend to switch soaps each time, I get bored easily I guess.

I have some AoS soaps that are in wooden bowls (the tallow formula) and their scent is very pronounced. The sandalwood and lavender have a scent even after being opened five years ago.

AOS Sandalwood.jpg

DR Harris soaps, on the other hand, have a less pronounced scent. However, their performance is top rate.

I regularly use both D.R. Harris Lavender and Almond. Scent is subtle but definitely there in both of them. Performance is excellent. I have used them out of and now in the wooden bowls, and have noticed no difference.

I have Windsor in cream form in a sealed tub. I've had the same tub almost a year and the scent is still really good. Maybe the wooden bowl allows the scent to leak out? [emoji1745]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I got Marlborough in the wooden bowl as my first 'real' shaving soap when I started wet shaving. I still have it and use it all the time and it still has tons of life left. It was never a strongly scented soap which really surprised be at the time, but I have grown to really appreciate it and love using it for shaves I want to be less scented when I want my fragrance to stand out. That being said I feel like the smell does become slightly more pronounced when using it and there are times when I let my face dry before I apply a balm or aftershave and I can definitely smell the Marlborough scent on my face. Unless they discontinue it or something I will always have a bowl of it in my den. I have lately been considering getting the shave stick and cream version.

Last edited:
Yea i noticed when i sniffed my marlborough that is was a light scent...but if a soaps performance is good ( i havnt tried as of yet im trying to wittle down a tfh luxury first) then its all good :3

Top Bottom