What's new

D.R. Harris Bay Rum, WOW!!!!

This might be, no, IT IS my favorite Bay Rum! Despite the ambiguous reviews on the interwebs, I had a chance to take a whiff of the new, fresh bottle that just arrived and it smells JUST LIKE traditional Bay Rum, but with a much richer, deeper, higher quality scent. I think it's a perfect bay rum by American or anyone's standards. WOW!!!!

It is my favorite Bay Rum and I've tried a fair number. I'd almost describe it as a more sophisticated bay rum than most -- it's more a bay rum for a private club than a bay rum for a Caribbean beach. My problem with it is its limited sillage (at least on me). In fact, this is a fairly common problem with lots of bay rums. I put it on and the scent disappears remarkably quickly. Somewhat unusually, I've found it to be best paired with another bay rum or two. In fact, after some experimenting, I've landed on using the DRH as the immediate after shave because I like the scent and the alcohol in it, but I follow that up with a 50/50 mixture of St Johns and Sir Henry's Island Estate. The St John's because it's a classic traditional, more clove forward bay rum but I find it sometimes to leave a burn and also without a lot of sillage. The Sir Henry's has no clove and is more vanilla forward but it lasts on me and seems to carry some of the St John's along. so, as a combination, I've been happy.

Last edited:
I'm guess the lack of silage has to do with it being aftershave level in strength? Would be cool if they followed the Sandalwood path and made an entire line of products including cologne, shave soap, deodorant, bath soap, etc.

I have recently been getting into Bay Rum as well - I use Sterling BR soap and Superior 37 some days, but I have to agree that the nicest scented one is DR Harris!

Recently I have sniffed Bay Rum at DR Harris in London and all I could get was cloves. Very strong smell of cloves. I don’t know how true bay rum smells like, but if it’s like that then it’s
not for me.

Is aftershave really supposed to have sillage? I think that's something you might expect from a different type of product.

wow coincidence !
just these days I wanted a good bay rum ( and probably in the past I might as well have or maybe it was Sandalwood …)
in Italy I don't find all the choice of American friends and I was thinking of Layrite n. 9.
But at this point I'll take your advice

I'm guess the lack of silage has to do with it being aftershave level in strength? Would be cool if they followed the Sandalwood path and made an entire line of products including cologne, shave soap, deodorant, bath soap, etc.
They do make a Bay Rum hair tonic. St Johns makes a Bay Rum soap, C.O. Bigelow and Ogallala make a Bay Rum deo stick, and several companies make bay rum shaving soap, cream, or after-shave balm.

They do make a Bay Rum hair tonic. St Johns makes a Bay Rum soap, C.O. Bigelow and Ogallala make a Bay Rum deo stick, and several companies make bay rum shaving soap, cream, or after-shave bal
He needs to step up to Ogallala which is the best bay rum and has over 11 different products ranging from hand lotion to air freshener, heck they even have a dog shampoo in their glorious bay rum scent. lol . 😎👍

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
Ok...it was a bit on the expensive side, but I ordered a bottle.

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
They do make a Bay Rum hair tonic. St Johns makes a Bay Rum soap, C.O. Bigelow and Ogallala make a Bay Rum deo stick, and several companies make bay rum shaving soap, cream, or after-shave balm.

That St. John's Bay Rum soap is dynamite. I'm going to try and use it as a shave soap soon.

Top Bottom