What's new

D. R. Harris aftershaves and colognes

I have been using D. R. Harris Marlborough soap every day for the last month, and I really like it! I've been contemplating purchasing one of their aftershaves or colognes, but they're much more expensive than any other AS that I own. Is it worth it? Is there an AS at a lower price point that delivers the same quality of scent and skin treatment? How is the performance in terms of skin treatment and soothing? And finally, which scent should I get? I'm a fan of the Marlborough, but I also hear good things about the Arlington and Windsor. I'm a huge fan of sandalwood and currently don't own any fragrances that are straight up sandalwood, and if might go with that one. Is it a quality sandalwood?

strop

Now half as wise
I don't know of any other with a similar scent to Marlborough. I'll be using that one along with the AS for a 3017 sometime later this year.

The Harris Sandalwood is not a straight sandalwood, especially if you compare it to something like AOS sandalwood. It is sweeter and spicier if that makes any sense. It's nice, but not a classic sandalwood.

I have the sandalwood and do not like the scent. It is very citrusy and lemony. It also is powerful and lasts a long time (which I normally love). On the other hand, it is one of the best performing AS splashes I have ever used. Too bad SWMBO nor I like the scent.

I just used DRH Arlington soap/AS Splash/Cologne for the first time this AM. The soap really lathers and has a fresh smell. The AS and cologne are a little lighter and "fruitier" than my others (Guerlain Vetiver and Lomami AB Silver... an Aventus clone that has more of a burnt fruit and earthy smell). I like it... but SWMBO didn't seem to like it as much as the GV or AB Silver.

View attachment 500258

Harris' Arlington is great, imo. It's a love-it-or-hate-it fragrance, so try a sample beforehand.

Attachments

• $harris arlington joris thiers issard ems rosewood september 24 2014.jpg
    $harris arlington joris thiers issard ems rosewood september 24 2014.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 292
Scents are such a personal opinion thing, so it's hard to give any advice, but to me Windsor is heads and shoulders above Marlborough and Arlington. I have the both the AS and the AS milk in Windsor and I think the perform as well as anything I have used, but I wouldn't claim that's it better than others either. The creams I feel are some of the best I've used though.

The only one I've tried is D. R. Harris Pink Aftershave. Soothing, no bite, very mild in effect. Almost no scent. I like it fine, after a rose-themed shave, but I wonder. I use a Harris Rose cream and a Harris Almond puck of hard soap, both very good.

I want to take a good whiff of Arlington, Windsor, and Marlborough and see if I want to go down that path. I like the Harris quality so much that it would be fun to have another scent family to explore. But I am such a scent snob. I really dislike almost all of the manufactured-perfumy scents, like GFT Euchris. I don't use lime, fougere, vetiver, sandalwood, leather, etc., so I have my work cut out for. I love rose, almond, bergamot-neroli, and classic cologne, like 4711. Geurlain Jicky and Guerlain Imperiale are the other two scents I thrive on.

I wonder if a D. R. Harris line will fit the bill?

The only one I've tried is D. R. Harris Pink Aftershave. Soothing, no bite, very mild in effect. Almost no scent. I like it fine, after a rose-themed shave, but I wonder. I use a Harris Rose cream and a Harris Almond puck of hard soap, both very good.

I want to take a good whiff of Arlington, Windsor, and Marlborough and see if I want to go down that path. I like the Harris quality so much that it would be fun to have another scent family to explore. But I am such a scent snob. I really dislike almost all of the manufactured-perfumy scents, like GFT Euchris. I don't use lime, fougere, vetiver, sandalwood, leather, etc., so I have my work cut out for. I love rose, almond, bergamot-neroli, and classic cologne, like 4711. Geurlain Jicky and Guerlain Imperiale are the other two scents I thrive on.

I wonder if a D. R. Harris line will fit the bill?

If you like 4711 then you will probably like the scent of D.R. Harris Arlington

I had Marlborough soap, aftershave, and cologne. The soap and aftershave are great, but I found the cologne to be extremely weak, not long lasting at all. (of course I bought it on BST so I suppose there's a chance it was watered down, ymmv)

I would say that the performance of DRH aftershaves is good, but typical of alcohol-based splashes; no magical healing, nourishing, or soothing properties. On the other hand, the scents are top notch, in my opinion, and are the reason one buys DRH aftershaves. Arlington and Windsor are probably two of the most universally loved scents in all of shavedom. Marlborough is more of a love hate scent, and so is the Sandalwood to some extent. personally, I love them all, with Arlington and Windsor being my favorites. I also really, really like the Sandalwood, and get lots of compliments from women when I wear it, but be forewarned; it is a very powerful scent, more like a colgne than an aftershave.

I have Arlington, Windsor, Marlborough, and the Sandalwood aftershaves. I love them all. I'm not really up on what pure Sandalwood is like compared to this but I like it - it lasts all day. My favorite of the four is Windsor but the other three are right behind and I wouldn't want to be without any of them. They are also excellent for making my face feel soothed after a too-close shave. Top quality products.

I have Arlington, Windsor, Marlborough, and the Sandalwood aftershaves. I love them all. I'm not really up on what pure Sandalwood is like compared to this but I like it - it lasts all day. My favorite of the four is Windsor but the other three are right behind and I wouldn't want to be without any of them. They are also excellent for making my face feel soothed after a too-close shave. Top quality products.

I'm a big fan of the windsor and will be adding arlington to my collection this spring I think. It reminds me of the smell of the plants along the boardwalk on our way to the beach in florida when I was a kid. Anyway it's a really nice scent for sure. I took a sniff of the marlborough aftershave and for some reason I could barely smell it. It seemed very faint. SWMBO vetoed it since her dad uses the cologne. Fair enough. The sandalwood reminded of my grandpa. In a good way. But I'll be passing.

I wandered into DR Harris a few months ago to have a look around with the girlfriend, and smelt all the fragrances they have, and to be honest thought most were pretty horrible :-(

There was one that wasn't too bad, but can't remember which one as I knew it wasn't for me anyway. So bought some blades and lip balm and left feeling a bit disappointed.

Still, you can't win 'em all. Next time I'm in Mayfair in going to pop in Trumpers and hopefully they'll have something that leaps out :)

I'm totally jealous that you are able to go to their store. I assume there's only one, but maybe I'm wrong. I bet all those soaps and splashes and balms all in one building creates a pretty overwhelming olfactory circus. I'm not saying you would like any DRH scents if you smelled them in another setting, maybe you just don't like them. But I wonder if it could have possibly thrown you off.

I have Arlington, Windsor, and Marlborough.
Marlborough was my first, but I now favour the other two: Arlington in summer, Windsor in winter.
For reference, the other ones I own are:
Trumpers' Eucris (my favourite, especially in the winter).
Truefitt and Hill's Trafalgar
Occitane Eau du Verdon (summery)

The main London Harris shop is great, and just down the road from Trumpers and others.

PS The Harris shaving soap is excellent too. And if you travel a lot, check out the shampoo bar!
PS I also splosh my hair with Harris's Eau du Portugal, with oil. Yep, I'm a big Harris fan.

I have the soap in Arlington and samples of Marlborough and Windsor in AS. The soap is a great performer with a faint but pleasant scent. I like Windsor just fine, but it fades pretty quick. Marlborough is the stand out for me. I love the scent and it stays around a long time for me. There are other AS out there that have better healing properties. I use the AS more or less as a cologne as a result. Marlborough by a landslide for me.

the Harris shop is definitely worth a stop if you're around Picadilly.
And, I thought they were still 'renovating' the earlier location.

proxy.php

I have Arlington, Windsor, and Marlborough AS. I had Pink but tossed it -- so weak as to have almost no effect. The three that I own I absolutely love and would have trouble deciding between them. Marlborough is more musky, it's the one of the three that is most different. But it's excellent and pairs beautifully with Marlborough soap, as you might guess. Arlington is fantastic, maybe slightly stronger than Windsor, but in the same general family. I really can't imagine someone not liking Arlington or Windsor. They're both classic scents. Marlborough is a little smokier smelling but when you're in the mood for that it is just right and can't be beat. Yes, Harris AS's are expensive but they are absolutely worth it. Do I like them more than less expensive Speik or others? No, but they're still worth the money because there is a sense of purity and refinement you get from a Harris aftershave that can be distinguished from many others (not referring to Speik specifically here since it, too, is in a class all its own).

Top Bottom