What's new

D.I.Y Soap making kit

Has anybody used anything like this before? Although D.I.Y soap making was not something I had ever really considered , lately I have realised that there are quite a few scents that I would like to see that are not yet available; on the surface this would seem like the ideal solution. However, as far as soap making goes I am completely clueless, I have no idea if this set is any good, or whether or not it would even be worth looking into. Any opinions on this?

Hi Alex,

It seems to me that the kit you are referring to is simply a block of 'melt & pour' glycerine soap. I have made a few batches of soap in the past; however, all have been the 'cold process' variety which use lye and which must cure for up to 8 weeks prior to use.

The glycerine 'melt & pour' soaps are good; however, I would not simply use one 'as is'. There are many additives which assist in making an ordinary bar of soap good for shaving. These include clay (which makes the soap more slick), oils, moisturizers, etc.

In theory, almost any soap, cream, or oil can be used for shaving; however, in reality some are better than most. It is only when we combine these better / preferred ingredients that we produce a superior product.

A basic 'melt & pour' shaving soap recipe can be found here:
http://candleandsoap.about.com/od/soaprecipes/a/mpshavingsoap.htm?terms=shaving+soap+make

A basic 'cold process' shaving soap can be found here:
http://candleandsoap.about.com/od/soaprecipes/a/cpshavingrecipe.htm

There are also recipes available for shaving creams (as opposed to soaps), which resemble those available at C&E, Body Shop, etc. I have never tried making these before, but plan on doing so next week.

Hope this helps!
- Ken -

Alex,
In the United States there are many arts and crafts stores that carry melt and pour soap and related items including molds. You may wish to check local craft stores and save on shipping and handling fees.

If you have children, they really enjoy picking out molds (dinosaurs, racecars, dophins, etc.) for themselves and making their own 'special' soap (with adult help and supervision of course). Be careful of tender skin with fragrances.
Sue

Thanks for the replies everyone. Like I stated in the original post this isn't the start of a vocation for me, but until someone comes up with a Verbena EO shaving soap (hint, hint) then this maybe worth looking into. I am a lazy, lazy man and the idea of only having to add EO's also appeals to me, rather than making something from scratch
Once again, thankyou all for your helpful suggestions.

Do you mean Lemon Verbena? If so, I will be adding an essential oil only version of my coconut lemon verbena... when I do this I could do a lemon verbena also for you!! Just let me get the back orders out!!

Bear Hugs! :001_smile

Sue (Mama Bear)

Mama Bear said:
Do you mean Lemon Verbena? If so, I will be adding an essential oil only version of my coconut lemon verbena... when I do this I could do a lemon verbena also for you!! Just let me get the back orders out!!

Bear Hugs! :001_smile

Sue (Mama Bear)

Thanks Sue. I'll PM you with details of my next order.

Majkell,
There are many informative websites with instruction and photos. Begin with an easy recipe and then be prepared to anxiously wait for CP to cure.

HP soaps can be used immediately because the saponification is complete (personally, I wait a week of two but it is definately not a requirement).

Sometimes I also enjoy making 'In The Mold Hot Process' (Google: ITMHP)

Also, have a very healthy respect for the dangers of lye.

Warning: Soap making is addictive.
Sue

Top Bottom