What's new

D.I.Y corner show me your creations

@grubsteak, a few questions...

where do you get those small earth magnets?

is your brush plastic? what bit did you use?

These are the magnets I used:
http://www.rare-earth-magnets.com/p-6-nsn0566.aspx
We had a bunch lying around at work, so I didn't have to buy a whole pack. You may be able to buy them individually at your local hardware store.

Yes, my brush has a plastic handle, although this would work for a wooden brush, too.

The magnets are 1/8" diameter, so I used standard 1/8" drill bit for a press fit. The brush was manufactured with a shallow cone shaped dimple at the center (which was larger diameter than my magnet -- see photo), and I just drilled into the center of that. I would have preferred the brush didn't have that dimple, because it would have looked cleaner, but the epoxy fill made the surface completely smooth anyway.

Well i sure do appreciate the info sir.

i may buy a cheap VDH brush from walmart for a practice run before i try it on my other brushes.

i think the magnet idea would look smooth and flows better imo.

i was thinking i could get a thin piece of sheet metal and drill it under a piece of board and place the brushes there. Then drill holes on the top part of the board for the razors. Everything would be in one spot for easy access.

Reading this thread and a couple others around b&b is what got me sold on the idea of building my own. There are some amazingly creative and ingenuitive guys around here lol

what do those magnets do for the weight of the brush? does it make it feel unballanced? looks like a pretty small magnet so may not really make too much difference

For magnets, I recommend looking into K&J Magnetics, Inc. I use them all the time for invention ideas and they have very good prices and the craziest assortment of magnets you can find.

I don't work for them, I'll let ya'll google the link, but they are absolutely wonderful. And it's so awesome getting a package that sticks to your mail box. :)

Here are a few things I've made.

Walnut razor and brush stand 1.
full

Walnut razor and brush stand 2.
proxy.php

Aluminum FAS stand.
proxy.php

These are SENSATIONAL! PM me...I might have to buy one if you have the time to make me one.

Last edited by a moderator:
Xillion or others-

I love woodwork but don't usually work on things this small, so where does one acquire a decent priced relatively small wood block like xillion has? I do see some on the bay but the nearest hardwood place isn't too close to me.

I've seen the Burl wood site but that stuff doesn't come cheap

Xillion or others-

I love woodwork but don't usually work on things this small, so where does one acquire a decent priced relatively small wood block like xillion has? I do see some on the bay but the nearest hardwood place isn't too close to me.

The local Rockler Woodworking store near me has a good assortment of small pieces of hardwood stock, although you may not have one near you (here's a map of Rockler store locations: http://www.rockler.com/retail/retail.cfm). I'm not aware of good online retailers for this sort of thing, but hopefully others will chime in...

In general, I've found that small wood pieces (even nice hardwoods) that are suitable for these kinds of projects are actually very affordable.

Xillion or others-

You can stop by a lowes or home depot, and ask if they can sell you (although they might let you have them) the scrap wood that comes off after they cut wood for people. The pieces are usually small.

Got a straight razor and had a piece of aromatic cedar lying around. Milled some slots in it and voila!

(blurry)
proxy.php

proxy.php

Top Bottom