What's new

D-Day

Gotta make this shaving related, so, look how smooth his shave is before he jumped at Normandy!

To all the brave men who went onto that beach, knowing the odds of returning were very slim, thank you.

I had this conversation with people. Do they just brush up for the camera? How did these guys shave so well if they didn't have hot water etc.

We use 20 different types of razors, soaps and blades to look ok, and these guys really have no razor burn on a shave that good? What the hell am I doing wrong??

But in all seriousness it's the 6th of June, we should be able to just make a post for all the military past and present.
This wasn't just the USA either...

I had this conversation with people. Do they just brush up for the camera?

This wasn't just the USA either...

If you are about to roll out on a mission there is zero time for camera prep. That soldier checked his kit (again & again), went to briefings, smoked & joked, prayed and then fired off some mail. Times change but some things remain the same. +1 for our Canadian and British brothers. I've had the honor of serving with both armies and they were/are fine soldiers.

An Amazing Time in History that created on this date an Amazing Moment that required Amazing and Unselfish Action from Amazing Young Men. As I look at that picture I see a young man that looks to be barely 18 and not even old enough to shave. Just incredible courage and amazing sacrifice.

These men had it right. They knew what it was to be men. For all those who served. Thank you. (stands, back straight, hand over heart, in silence)

From Widipedia.

Belligerents
proxy.php
United Kingdom
proxy.php
United States
proxy.php
Canada
proxy.php
Free France
proxy.php
Poland
proxy.php
Norway
proxy.php
Australia
proxy.php
New Zealand
proxy.php
Netherlands
proxy.php
Belgium
proxy.php
Germany
Vichy France
Commanders and leaders
Dwight D. Eisenhower
Bernard Montgomery
Omar Bradley
Trafford Leigh-Mallory
Arthur Tedder
Miles Dempsey
Bertram Ramsay
Gerd von Rundstedt
Erwin Rommel
Friedrich Dollmann
Hans von Salmuth
Wilhelm Falley †
Strength
156,000[SUP][note 1][/SUP]10,000[SUP][citation needed][/SUP]
Casualties and losses
At least ~12,000 overall casualties.[SUP][note 2][/SUP]Estimated between 4,000 and 9,000 casualties.[SUP][2][/SUP]

My sincerest gratitude to all the fine men who perished on that fateful day, and to those who were present and lived on, as well as those who continue to live on.

May we remember you always.

Gotta make this shaving related, so, look how smooth his shave is before he jumped at Normandy!

To all the brave men who went onto that beach, knowing the odds of returning were very slim, thank you.

If that is a troop about to jump into the Normandy countryside, then they are more then likely Pathfinders. They're chance of surviving that day didn't turn out to be very good. But I recall there weren't many pictures of the Pathfinders taken that day. I wonder how many D-Day survivors are left?

-jim

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
If that is a troop about to jump into the Normandy countryside, then they are more then likely Pathfinders. They're chance of surviving that day didn't turn out to be very good. But I recall there weren't many pictures of the Pathfinders taken that day. I wonder how many D-Day survivors are left?

-jim

It feels very eerie looking at that photo, knowing today how many gave their lives for their countrymen.

Today, Paratroopers from 10 nations are celebrating the anniversary of Operation Overlord.

Airborne!

Favourable winds and safe landings

Top Bottom