What's new

Czech and Speake Scent, or Lack Therof

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
Folks,

I picked up a couple of new refill pucks of C&S Oxford and Cambridge and 88 to give them a whirl. I've noticed there's very little scent to either - mostly they smell like unscented tallow soap, like clay. Is this normal? I haven't put a brush to them yet just in case I got duds and need to return them.

TIA, Cheers, Steve

I'd like to know too! I had planned to purchase a puck before the 2014 sabbatical, but now I'm not so sure.

I have used a puck of O&C before and have a new puck of each in the cabinet. The O&C had plenty of scent during use.

Give them some time, I had the same experience with my puck of Oxford & Cambridge. Hardly any scent at first, just that clay smell, then one day I got the awesome O&C scent. Now the scent is fairly strong, I still notice it 30 minutes after shaving. It's become one of my favorite soaps, I'm looking at picking up 88 as well.

Steve56

Ahh, Thanks everyone. So maybe I do put a brush on at least one of those pucks. Oh, and it seems I can smell the scent on the box more strongly than the soap.

Cheers, Steve

my refill of O&C doesn't have much scent either. Haven't used it yet. I bought the 88 in the bowl and the scent was strong off the bat.

This sounds very strange to me, I only have the small travel soaps myself but the scent is unmistakeable. I would use it for a while to see if the scent surfaces and if not I would send it back to them and ask for a new one. performance wise you are in for a treat.

Steve56

Thanks everyone for the input. Ive emailed the vendor and referenced this thread. It helps that it apparently is not just my nose.

Cheers, Steve

Steve56

Just heard back from the vendor and he confirms the soaps smell mostly of clay and are "subtly scented". He will not accept returns even untouched, which I kind of understand.

Cheers, Steve

I get quite a bit of scent from my puck of O&C when lathered. I could see why some may not like the scent, but I'm a fan. Performance is second to none IMO.

Ben

I love 88. It has a strong smell.

Ironically, I actually hope the smell is clay. One of my favorite soaps is the old AOS Lemon that smelled strongly of clay. I am looking to replace that soap in my rotation and the clay smell was something that I really enjoyed, while I know that for most people the smell was a YMMV.

I bought a travel puck of the Oxford and Cambridge a couple of years ago. It was probably the most strongly scented soap I have ever used. The whole bathroom smelled. The brushes smelled like it even after washing. The container I had the soap in smelled like O&C a year after the soap was gone.

Honestly. I love O&C cologne, but the soap was WAY too powerful.

Maybe they got a lot of complaints and decided to drastically cut back on the scent.

Seems strange to me also...I purchased some earlier this year and it was very strong when I first opened and is still strong several months later. It is actually one of the stronger smelling soaps I own, and I own about 30!

Top Bottom