What's new

Cyril R. Salter Website is not www.cyrilrsalter.com

Just been on the site. Do you happen to know if their own brand straights are any good? I have a few vintage classics that are being restored as we speak, but it would be good to have a less expensive model to practice on.

AJS said:
Just been on the site. Do you happen to know if their own brand straights are any good? I have a few vintage classics that are being restored as we speak, but it would be good to have a less expensive model to practice on.
They are very good i think a lot of there stuff is top notch

tonesbarbershop.co.uk said:
Cyril R. Salter Website is not www.cyrilrsalter.com its www.malegroomingsupplies.co.uk as we buy a lot from them and found them to be great company and very help full if you need to find out about there products email them directly and they will help you

I would like to say this is a trade site you can not order from this site unless you are trade but they will help you to find the right seller or they will find you items

That site just played havoc with my laptop. Everything locked up and I had to turn it off and start again as it hung while loading!

I think it only works on IE and punishes people using Safari!

Gareth

galopede said:
That site just played havoc with my laptop. Everything locked up and I had to turn it off and start again as it hung while loading!

Gareth
i think its just your PC

i think its just your PC
PC's don't run Safari, Mac's do.

@Gareth, give Firefox a try. Safari gets wonky for me as well on sites that don't adhere to W3C standards.

galopede said:

Gareth

I haven't tried it in Safari - but it worked fine in Firefox.

AJS said:

Hello,

The Cyril R Salter branded straight edge razors have Carbon Steel blades, hence the lower price than those with Stainless Steel blades. Carbon Steel is great for begginners as you can keep the blade keen with the minimum of work, but must be dried well after use to avoid rust pitting.

Most competent straight users would prefer a Stainless Steel blade, which although needs more work to keep sharp, stays that way for a lot longer.

Regards, Robert

english_barber said:
The Cyril R Salter branded straight edge razors have Carbon Steel blades, hence the lower price than those with Stainless Steel blades. Carbon Steel is great for begginners as you can keep the blade keen with the minimum of work, but must be dried well after use to avoid rust pitting.

Would it be best to oil the blade on a carbon steel razor before putting it away, after it's thoroughly dry of course?

Jonnybc said:
Would it be best to oil the blade on a carbon steel razor before putting it away, after it's thoroughly dry of course?

Good morning John,

Light oiling should not be necessary unbless you are laying up your razor for any length of time. Experience has told us that after drying storing in a dry atmosphere will do the job just as well.

Regards, Robert

english_barber said:
Good morning John,

Light oiling should not be necessary unbless you are laying up your razor for any length of time. Experience has told us that after drying storing in a dry atmosphere will do the job just as well.

Regards, Robert

Thanks for the swift reply Robert, the humididy on the second floor of my house is terrible at the moment, that was the reason I asked.

Hi John,

We are suffering as well here in sunny Hungerford, bottles of Taylors Cologne and Aftershave are exploding on the shop shelves with the heat!

Open razors arrive with us lightly oiled wrapped in a rust inhibiting paper, so oiling your carbon steel blade in our present humid climate may not be a bad thing.

Regards, Robert

english_barber said:
Hi John,

We are suffering as well here in sunny Hungerford, bottles of Taylors Cologne and Aftershave are exploding on the shop shelves with the heat!

Open razors arrive with us lightly oiled wrapped in a rust inhibiting paper, so oiling your carbon steel blade in our present humid climate may not be a bad thing.

Regards, Robert
I would say the same

I would say the same

Do you also have the exploding Taylors!

If so I will be giving the supplier a call later, it is beyond a joke and has damaged the rest of the stock it drops on to....

Regards, Robert

english_barber said:
Do you also have the exploding Taylors!

If so I will be giving the supplier a call later, it is beyond a joke and has damaged the rest of the stock it drops on to....

Regards, Robert
no but the creams are leaking all over the place

Top Bottom