What's new

Cyril R Salter vs D. R. Harris Lavender Soap, are the scents the same?

Just wondering if anyone has tried both of these soaps and can comment on the scents?

They both use an identical (excellent) soap base and both are described as being Lavender fragranced, so are they one on the same (albeit Salter being about half the price) or do they have different lavender fragrances?

Just wondering if anyone has tried both of these soaps and can comment on the scents?

They both use an identical (excellent) soap base and both are described as being Lavender fragranced, so are they one on the same (albeit Salter being about half the price) or do they have different lavender fragrances?

are you referring to the hard soaps or the creams?

I can tell you the CRS Solid soap has a very subdued scent. It's not a pure lavender, more of a traditional barbershop fragrance with lavender. It does not call attention to itself and kind of fades into the background after lathering. I personally like it like this, but some people might prefer a stronger scent.

Unfortunately, I can't compare scents directly with the DR Harris Lavender. The CRS does seem to perform very similar to DR Harris, though.

I had both, sold the CRS and kept DR Harris.

Both lovely but I wanted to keep just one lavender soap and I liked the slightly more "creamy" lavender of DRH a bit better than the sharper, "barbershop-y" lavender of CRS.

I love DRH soaps overall and had all but recently got rid of Marlborough and Windsor. Love, love, love the other 4 scents!!

Both are lavender-centered, but they are definitely different.
The DRH scent is much more pleasant to my nose (smoother, vs sharp CRS).
I also give the nod to DRH for (lather) performance (although the difference in this category is marginal).

I can tell you the CRS Solid soap has a very subdued scent. It's not a pure lavender, more of a traditional barbershop fragrance with lavender. It does not call attention to itself and kind of fades into the background after lathering. I personally like it like this, but some people might prefer a stronger scent.

Unfortunately, I can't compare scents directly with the DR Harris Lavender. The CRS does seem to perform very similar to DR Harris, though.

I am a fan of the CRS soap as well and know what you mean about the scent not being pure lavender. I always find the scent strength to be what I consider light as opposed to subtle in that I can always smell it but it isn't a strong scent as opposed to other soaps that just have a fairly faint/non-existent scent.

I had both, sold the CRS and kept DR Harris.

Both lovely but I wanted to keep just one lavender soap and I liked the slightly more "creamy" lavender of DRH a bit better than the sharper, "barbershop-y" lavender of CRS.

I love DRH soaps overall and had all but recently got rid of Marlborough and Windsor. Love, love, love the other 4 scents!!

Thanks for the comparison, it sounds like I will have to give DR Harris Lavender a try as well at some point! (I already have Marlborough and Arlingotn in puck and stick form, excellent base!). Getting into Wet Shaving for some reason I never thought I would like lavender scented soaps, but so far I have and like CRS, Czech and Speake Oxford and Cambridge and Fine Accoutrements Lavender Pour Homme. I guess one more won't hurt :lol:

Both are lavender-centered, but they are definitely different.
The DRH scent is much more pleasant to my nose (smoother, vs sharp CRS).
I also give the nod to DRH for (lather) performance (although the difference in this category is marginal).

Thanks for the comparison, looks like I'll be adding another Lavender soap puck or stick (or both...) to my den! Performance difference will be interesting as they use the same base, it must be certain ingredients in the fragrance make up that enhances one (happens with other soaps of the same base as well)

Reactions: nav
Top Bottom