What's new

Cycling does not have to take place indoors

In Copenhagen it's possible to borrow a bicycle for free, even an el- powered ...

proxy.php
They actually have these in downtown Ft Worth , Texas , USA. One of the few cities here in the states that do!

Why not? Distances too far?

Absolutely. I have to bring my daughter to day care and pick her up each evening, 15.8 miles one way. I work an additional 2.4 miles from her school. Considering the sweltering New Orleans humidity, and the fact that I work in an office which requires dress shirt/tie attire, cycling to work really isn't an option. Technically, I work 3 cities away from where I live.

I'd give anything to be able to have more life on the bike too. trouble is, in this day and age you need to be willing to be a highway runner to some extent if you want to work, and you need to get around in a few different city's sometimes if you want to bargain shop.

I've seen some pretty cool pictures of cycling around Copenhagen that make it almost look like a picture of Amsterdam, and that's enough for me to appreciate it! :thumbup1:

Shiny, all the pretty gears O.O Until a few months ago, my Norco was in storage for years and my rear sprockets became rusty. I did a full tune up yesterday, both shift cables were too slack, the front derailleur was stiff, the rear derailleur was misaligned... Even so, the chain still skip from time to time. I need to change the chain, basic KMC Z50 with a very low life expectancy, the poor thing is distorted like a Dali painting : /

The economy here is tourist based. Many of those tourists tow boats, and lots come by big tour buses. To top it off many residents feel the need to compensate for a lack of colorful plumage by having trucks with 4 inch or more lift kits. The safest place for a bike is on the sidewalk. Yes I know riding on the sidewalk is not legal but the cops here agree it is the safest place to be. I have started riding a recumbent trike. Sidewalks and streets are not an option until I make a suitably obnoxious colored shade cover. I stick the property our business is on, and around our quiet neighborhood.

Beautiful. If only our urban planners didn't have to design in a car-centric society...

Enjoy the ride,
Jay

It seems my acquisition of a bicycle has enticed my wife! She informed me last week that she would like a bike. Rewind to earlier in the week, when a friend told me I should have bought a bike because he has one he could have given me. Now fast-forward to this weekend when I went and checked out his mountain bike which would actually be a great fit for my wife!!

Once I get it from him, and perform a bit of maintenance (new chain, clean up the gears, probably a new seat, etc), we'll attach a baby carrier, and the whole family can get out on the road!!

Who knows, me may even go on search for

$bigfoot-bicycle-tshirt.jpg

I have a Trek hybrid that I use to commute to work, every day that weather and outside commitments allow. Depending on which way I go it's between 5.5 and 7.5 miles each way. I love riding my bike to work. I was a great cool morning for a ride today!

I have a Trek hybrid that I use to commute to work, every day that weather and outside commitments allow. Depending on which way I go it's between 5.5 and 7.5 miles each way. I love riding my bike to work. I was a great cool morning for a ride today!

How far do you push "weather permitting"? I managed to ride in each of the 12 months last year, and even logged a few rides under 0F, but at the point the oil and grease in my bike starts to get awful sticky.

Top Bottom