What's new

Cycling 2018

I figured this would be the best place to ask this. I was wondering around a goodwill today with my family and I came across a vintage Norco. I have absolutely NO idea about bikes as I've only owned el cheapo models that weighed a literal ton!

Anyway, I ended up getting this thing for $7.50! From what I can gather, its got some pretty primo parts on it. I'm very good at restoring all sorts of things so I figured why not give a vintage bike a try.

Let me know if you guys think I should sink some hours and dollars on this.

proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

A couple of weeks ago I managed to get out 4 days for my usual 15 mile ride but snowstorms keep hitting us here in New Jersey so I was back inside on my spin bike! We had a snowstorm with about 14" here in New Jersey and I was stuck inside until Friday when I went out for one very short ride! My usual ride includes an out and back of .5 miles then I head off in another direction. It seemed OK but a bit chilly headwind on the way back made me rethink my plans and I ended up doing just 1 mile in about 5 minutes. Back to the spin bike for the rest of the 55 minutes I usually do! I can't wait until Spring weather arrives to go with the Spring season that has already started! Keep cycling guys!

76/60%/SSW9
Pretty smoky with local fires blazing. Route up and down the berm along Veterans Parkway again. I need more mountain bike time.

Let me know if you guys think I should sink some hours and dollars on this.

proxy.php

I love vintage bikes, so yes, by all means give it some love, especially considering what you spent on it :)

That said ... the parts were good at their time, but obviously newer parts are better parts. But, I wouldn't be replacing parts. Take it apart, clean it up, put it back together and give it a ride.

The only thing that sticks out to me at this point is the stem ... I doubt it came with that one.

I love vintage bikes, so yes, by all means give it some love, especially considering what you spent on it :)

That said ... the parts were good at their time, but obviously newer parts are better parts. But, I wouldn't be replacing parts. Take it apart, clean it up, put it back together and give it a ride.

The only thing that sticks out to me at this point is the stem ... I doubt it came with that one.
I have taken it apart but I couldn't get that stem out to save my life! The parts are in excellent shape after I clean them and I see no reason to replace anything major. What I'm putting on it is a new saddle, handlebar tape, tires, tubes, chain, and cables. Plus I'm painting it. (I painted cars in my previous life). I'm excited to see how it turns out, and I'm like you, I LOVE anything vintage. Especially when I can breathe new life into it and enjoy it another 30 years!

First outdoor ride yesterday evening ... did a quick 15 miles, in one hour, on one of my usual routes.

It's funny, because last year at this time I was just kind of coming back to cycling. Thlis year, after Zwifting all winter long, I'm in MUCH better shape at the start of the season. My pace was at or above what it was at the end of last season, not the beginning :) It's going to be a great year.

Now if the weather would cooperate. It was 50ish last night. Supposed to stay in the 30s and 40s for the next two weeks or so :(

577C44E9-7587-4206-A2FE-417398437FF4.jpeg 055D0535-F976-4D4B-9DD9-D603DCC5C8E5.jpeg
50 road bike miles. Flatted at 2.9. Getting more efficient at changing tubes. This time it was the spring of a small clothespin. The end of it was just long enough to puncture the tube as the barrel portion created the telltale thump thump thump. Remained patient enough to avoid puncturing the new tube with levers. The CO2 cartridge deal worked well. I like not carrying a small pump. 70/97%/N5 at sun up.

Last edited:
Doing the Tour of Watopia on Zwift ... Stages 1 and 2 done.

First stage went up the old "big" mountain (first time I've ever been up it), second stage today was Road to Ruins.

There's some serious climbing and long days in the saddle ahead on this deal. And the weather here is absolute ****e ... was in the 50s last week, and now the 30s with the threat of snow. I just love Wisconsin in the spring :)

Got on the bike to get some hardware for a radiator installation. Rode 6.5 miles. Came home with 2 wrong extruded U spring nuts. Happens every time. Driving back tomorrow.

The bride and the pediatrician both signed off on the bike seat, so I’ve been getting some fun miles in with my little girl the past few weeks. She loves looking for dogs and the feel of the wind—smart kid!

3CF3DE4B-760A-422C-B633-E3527E9094E6.jpeg

Nice!

26 road bike miles. Flatted again, 1/8th of a mile ftom the house, and walked it home. Changed the tube twice as I got rotation wrong the first go. Duh. My day started with plugging a car tire, so a nice bookend to Friday.

31,2 road bike miles to Punta Gorda. Wasn't expecting the front until after midnight, but got soaked and chilled stowing the bike in the car! 80-77/77-88%/SW16-WSW11.

17.2 road bike miles over to Ft. Myers and back. The flat didn't happen until after I got off the bike in the driveway this time. Getting fed up with road debris!

Where do you cross? Midpoint/Veterans?

Got in 10.5 miles with the sprout this morning on the 3-speed, longest ride of her life. Had fun exploring a new neighborhood.

Yes. I don't do that ride, or the one up 41 to Punta Gorda, due to the vehicle speeds on those roads, but every once in awhile it is fun. It is fun to do the Midpoint for the climb and descent, and the view is pretty cool. I had a 21 mph tailwind (gusting over 30) heading over to Ft. Myers back in October and bagged a KOM and my top speed of 39 mph on the descent. I was going nearly 30 mph on the ascent!

We just bought a house off McGregor in the neighborhood just south of the country club. I’m still trying to figure out good routes for longer rides that aren’t sidewalks (McGregor), stop signs every block, or the Mad Max main roads (Summerlin, 41). I love that long stretch up Sands/Surfside/Burnt Store, so I could probably swing Midpoint and Veterans every so often. We used to rent in Iona and on Sanibel, and I really miss riding the causeway and islands.

Top Bottom