What's new

Cycling 2018

55.2 road bike miles. Out before sunrise. Lots of traffic in the bike lanes: pickups (moving and stationary), pedestrians, pups, and a few bikes.

Last weekend I picked up a French made 1974 Motobecane Grand Touring from my Dad's house. He bought it new, and I was the last to ride it in 1982. It had been hanging from ceiling hooks since then. I completely disassembled, cleaned, scrubbed, and replaced the tires, tubes, rim strips, saddle, bar tape, hoods, brake pads, toe straps, and tore the derailleurs and brakes apart and rebuilt them. I had been looking for a vintage touring bike for a project and this fit the bill. It came out really nice, and a the lugged steel frame rides smoooooooth...

A before and a few after shots...

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php
proxy.php

Awesome! The real deal Motobecane!!! Many miles left in that frame!!! I saw an 80s Motobecane sitting idle in a garage that some yard salers picked up for about $40. I'd love to restore it!

On a more mundane note: 19.4 road bike miles after dark. 82/58%/N8

Nice Moto ... I love those vintage frames.

Been insanely busy with work the past week, managed to get some time this morning on Zwift, 24 miles. 1,000+ miles on Zwift this winter ... crazy.

My Kickr Snap is acting up ... a power issue ... working with support now to see how to proceed. It's only five months old so it should be covered under warranty at least.

but that doesn't help with the miles I'm losing ... might just take my bike in for a tune up while I wait for resolution

17.3 road bike miles. Legs are feeling strong as I drop the mileage before this weekend's large rides.
67/53%/WNW12

Bike is in for a complete overhaul ... can't wait to get her back

Waiting on Wahoo to send me a replacement part for the Snap

Bummer. Day 2 was canceled as thunderstorms were predicted across the state today. No rain materialized along the route. A hardcore group from Naples took off from the overnight spot and claimed their double century weekends.

Bombed the berm along Veteran’s Pkwy. on my MTB yesterday afternoon. About 13 miles. Gotta get more time on the MTB before The Whiskey Offroad. Seems like a benign ride, but I actually went down once in a sandy spot.

FD88505A-43CA-4622-95EF-C671AC4D2C60.jpeg
19.5 road bike miles with a front on the doorstep. First lightning strike as I rolled up the driveway. 77/86%/SW19. Took advantage of the SW wind to try to bag some PRs on Strava (No shame!).

Back to the bike the last few days ... finally got my Kickr Snap sorted out, and my bike back from an overhaul. It rides great even if it's just inside so far. I'm zwifting, but keeping an eye on the weather with the hopes of riding outdoors when the temps allow.

While the bike was in the shop I asked the owner if he had a spare/cheap wheel laying about I could buy, and make a dedicated rear trainer tire, which keeps me from needing to swap the outdoor tire for the trainer tire or vice versa. He did ... so now flopping back and forth this spring will be easier and I have fewer excuses.

And, while picking up the bike at the shop, my wife was with me, and she mentioned to the owner about wanting a bike so we can ride together. She's working on weight loss, and I'm totally supportive and will do anything I can to help her. Well, the shop owner mentioned a used frame and fork he had received on trade, which he then built up a bike from.

The price was right, and it fit her, so we ended up taking it home. As it turns out, it's the same year and model as my bike, but in the women's model :)

20180320_180518.jpg

Nice build!

Windy 17.3 mile road ride today. Went out lazy into a stiff WNW wind of 15mph. 63 degrees, 52% humidity. Needed an extra layer up top. About a month until AZ and The Whiskey. So stoked!

I met up with a buddy of mine for a lazy post-work ride of about 8 miles on the Fuji hybrid. I do my longer rides on my vintage Motobecane on weekends. Mine's the blue 2013 Fuji Absolute 2.1, and my friend's is the orange 2018 Fuji Absolute 2.3.

Cheers!
20180322_165731.jpg

Top Bottom