What's new

Cycling 2018

Took the bike out for a longer ride tonight after going to 700x26c. Feels like a new bike! Faster, quicker accel. Though everything I read says the 28cs at proper inflation should have less rolling resistance, these feel lower. 81/90%/W7
I’ll get a better idea when I ride after a rest day.

I went out yesterday for the first time since mid-March when I crashed and injured my knee. I just did a quick 11 miles to test it. I had a funeral to attend in he morning, so it was a little warm when was able to get out and ride. 51 yr old rider on his 44 yr old French-made Motobecane. No issues with the knee.
proxy.php

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I went out yesterday for the first time since mid-March when I crashed and injured my knee. I just did a quick 11 miles to test it. I had a funeral to attend in he morning, so it was a little warm when was able to get out and ride. 51 yr old rider on his 44 yr old French-made Motobecane. No issues with the knee.
proxy.php

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

That’s great you were able to ride again! Man that’s hot. Here in Tucson early morning is nice 75-85, but then when it gets in the 90ish I start riding back home as fast as I can :D.
I did total only 47mi this week, trying to go light because of a cold my kids gifted me that it is still there.

Took the bike out for a longer ride tonight after going to 700x26c. Feels like a new bike! Faster, quicker accel. Though everything I read says the 28cs at proper inflation should have less rolling resistance, these feel lower. 81/90%/W7
I’ll get a better idea when I ride after a rest day.

My new bike came with 28mm and I’m liking the comfort of it, but it feels too bulky. I used to have a 25mm in my old bike. I’m curious to know how the switch goes for you.

Couldn’t help it, lol. I did another 14mi this morning at 14.9mph avg. Total 61mi this week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am just getting back to it after an absurdly long time away. Today my first ride on clipless pedals. Did 12 miles with a 15.5 mph average and a headwind for half. Didn't fall over, I am counting it as a win.

Sweet! Enjoy the return to cycling!

I had a successful ride tonight, too, but the bar was pretty low: get out and back with air in the tires! 17.3 mi/88/67%/SW11

Let me add that I learned a lot about Presta valves, their cores, and CO2 cartridges last night after my short ride!

My new bike came with 28mm and I’m liking the comfort of it, but it feels too bulky. I used to have a 25mm in my old bike. I’m curious to know how the switch goes for you.
Any size can feel bulky or ride sluggish, if the tire is a tank. What tires did your new bike come with?

Vitoria Zaffiro

Those are no less than 325 grams a tire. They're dependable tires, but their rolling resistance is not good.

If you want to ride 28mm and like Vittoria, go with a Rubino Pro G+ ( you also could get away with running a 25mm and it'll ride similar to a 28mm because they actually measure 26mm and the extra tpi of the casing). They can be had for $27-30 ish. A 28mm will be around 240 grams ( 220-225 for a 25mm) and will also run 150 TPI casing so it'll roll and feel substantially smoother than a Zaffiro.

Those are no less than 325 grams a tire. They're dependable tires, but their rolling resistance is not good.

If you want to ride 28mm and like Vittoria, go with a Rubino Pro G+ ( you also could get away with running a 25mm and it'll ride similar to a 28mm because they actually measure 26mm and the extra tpi of the casing). They can be had for $27-30 ish. A 28mm will be around 240 grams ( 220-225 for a 25mm) and will also run 150 TPI casing so it'll roll and feel substantially smoother than a Zaffiro.

Thanks for the information. It reaffirms my intention to replace my current tires eventually with Rubino Pro G+. I had it in mind already. I found good reviews of them.

Thanks for the information. It reaffirms my intention to replace my current tires eventually with Rubino Pro G+. I had it in mind already. I found good reviews of them.

You're welcome. Yes, it's a quality training tire. I have a stock of them along with Continental GP4000s, Vredestein gran fondo tricomps, Michelin Pro4 Comps. All are excellent situationally.

Still building back up post crash. Last night was an evening ride to beat the heat (still 100 degrees at 7pm, but the sun wasn't beating down on me). I just did an easy 10 mile spin on my Fuji Absolute hybrid and gave the 44 yr old Motobecane a rest night. I'm planning a longer dawn patrol ride on Saturday that might be interrupted by coffee and breakfast tacos along the way...
20180726_194141.jpg

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
You are crazy Cam. I have not ridden in over a week. I refuse to go out when it is this hot. I had to work today but I plan to get out and stretch my legs tomorrow.

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member

My Felt has Vittoria Rubino Pro 700 X 28 G+.The tires seem good and roll nice to me but since it is my 1st road bike I have nothing to compare it to.

Last edited:
A friend and I took an early morning ride from Lewisville, TX up to Denton for nothing more than to ride and to enjoy really good breakfast tacos and a beer for breakfast at around 9am. Why not?? The Denton County Transit Authority (DCTA) and the local communities it serves were tasked with putting in a bike trail that follows the light rail system. It's a great little 30 mile round trip ride to and from my house.

My friend is riding a 2018 Fuji Absolute 2.3 (orange bike in the pics below) and I'm on my trusty 2013 Fuji Absolute 2.1 (the blue one). I've been spending a lot of time lately on a '74 Motobecane Grand Touring road bike I resurrected, but I love my hybrid for rides like this. My Camelback Mule was a necessity on this warm, muggy North Texas morning.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Top Bottom