What's new

Cutting Jimps Post-hardening

Ello,

First-time, long-time.

I purchased some Dorko 444 blanks recently. The images of finished razors i have
seen show top and bottom jimps but these blanks are jimpless.

s-l1600 (1).jpg

If jimps were not cut before hardening does this mean the blade was not
meant to have them?
I prefer the look of no jimps but wanted to shoot for as close to factory
as i am able.

In that image towards the end of the jimps where the shadow makes the shape apparent it looks like a
three square or knife file cut them.
I tried a cheap diamond triangular file cutting a chisel tang to practice but
it could not even scratch away the patina. Felt like a normal file skating on hardened tool steel.
I could cut some slits with the thinnest wheel that came with a rotary
tool and then tried to shape out some saw teeth and the file just shed
dust which I doubt is diamond.

Any ideas? I am thinking of getting a fine eze lap knife or three square, I think the smaller grit would work better. Or maybe an India file?

Thanks

Oh yeah, do those jimps look larger than typical?

I would guess if they were going to jimp them, they would have done it before hardening. It's pretty hard to do afterward as you've found.

You could soften the tang by standing the blade in water so the cutting portion of the blade is submerged but the tang is above the waterline, and using a torch to heat the tang to a blue/purple color. The water around the blade will never get above 212F so you won't risk losing any hardness there. Use a very large volume of water in a heat proof vessel (Pyrex jug is ideal). You will then be able to use a normal checkering file to cut jimps.

I suppose you could use a triangular file but it is very hard to cut all the jimps at regular intervals that way, a checkering file is much more consistent.

Not sure how they do it in a razor factory but when I worked as a dental instrument grinder we had specially shaped CBN wheels to cut the teeth into periotomes that had already been hardened. They are definitely not hand filing those things, too much labor.

Hydro-magic, yeah, it felt like a stupid question but i bought them from two different sources and neither had jimps and I saw a post on
a restoration service site where they finished a couple and theirs were
sans jimps as well yet every factory one has them. And they don't look
typical to me, they look largeer; in that photo above they continue full
width out to where the tang starts to round whereas on my other
razors they disappear in the margins when the tang rounds as they are not that deep.

Anywho, i'll try softening one as thp001 suggests. Thanks for that advice.
I had been thinking of a Cbn dremel wheel but I think shaping one
to a knife edge would leave no abrasive.
I think factories might have cut them with a chisel stamp of some sort.
I have a few razors where a few adjacent rows are askew that look to
me like mishits i sometimes see in logos.

One more question, Dorkos all seem to have three pins, is the spacer on the middle pin the same as the tang plus bearing washers?

Thanks all

Top Bottom