What's new

Cutting Forms

Hi, I'm new here and a question on the cutting forms. I just started shaving with a DE from a M3 about 2 weeks ago. Anyway here are my questions -

First, these cutting forms - I'm not sure I understand which order to do them and how often and where (I'll explain later). I've read this http://www.methodshaving.com/content/view/25/38/ along with some posts that tried explaining. What I see now is you do 1-(however many needed) N-S passes until you can't really feel much beard running your hand in that direction. Now do you do this to your whole face including your entire neck everytime? The second pass I assume is the ear to chin one. Now with this one is it only done once, where the dotted lines on the arrows are in the diagram? Finally, for the third form this I assume is the bold lined one in the diagram that goes from bottom jaw to nose in direction. Is this also only done once and only where shown on the diagram?

Thanks for any help you can offer!

-Steve

Welcom to B&B, Steve.

First, these cutting forms - I'm not sure I understand which order to do them and how often and where (I'll explain later).

You have the order correct. N-S, Ear-to-Chin, Jaw-to-Nose.

What I see now is you do 1-(however many needed) N-S passes until you can't really feel much beard running your hand in that direction. Now do you do this to your whole face including your entire neck everytime?
The second pass I assume is the ear to chin one. Now with this one is it only done once, where the dotted lines on the arrows are in the diagram? Finally, for the third form this I assume is the bold lined one in the diagram that goes from bottom jaw to nose in direction. Is this also only done once and only where shown on the diagram?

This is, more or less, correct. The thing that you have to keep in mind is that the cutting forms are designed on a one-size-fits-all basis. They serve as a pretty good guideline to get you started, but will eventually need some adjustment to fit you best.

I started with these cutting forms and have since customized them to the following.

1. First pass - N-S on entire face and neck. The only time I make a second N-S pass is when I have skipped a day shaving.

2. Second pass - Ear-to-Chin on entire face and above the Adam's apple. Everything in line with or below the apple gets another N-S pass.

3. Third pass - Jaw-to-Nose on entire face and above the Adam's apple. Everything in line with or below the apple gets another N-S pass.

4. Fourth pass - Touch and cut for areas with stubble patches.

If you're really nice, Ron may be willing to post a link to his 4-pass shaving system (I can't remember off the top of my head where that thing is located).

Thanks Kyle that helps clear it up some.

A couple of other questions I have is that it seems that a majority of the people shave everyday with this method? Will it work just as well shaving every other day as long as you do proper beard reduction?

Also, I've heard the cube smells pretty bad, if used in conjunction with some good English creams, do the creams cover up the scent well?

Thanks!:001_smile

SteveL said:
Thanks Kyle that helps clear it up some.

A couple of other questions I have is that it seems that a majority of the people shave everyday with this method? Will it work just as well shaving every other day as long as you do proper beard reduction?

Also, I've heard the cube smells pretty bad, if used in conjunction with some good English creams, do the creams cover up the scent well?

Thanks!:001_smile

It should, though I personally prefer a daily shave.

Initially, the cube has a strong odor. Some find it tolerable, others offensive. Either way, the smell dissipates after the first few latherings. To knock the potency of the smell down, you could use it to wash your hands or face a few times before you lather with it.

Yes, the English creams cover up the smell of the cube quite nicely. I use to use this method exclusively (cube and then cream). Once I figured out how to get the most from my cream by improving my lathering techniques, I abandoned the cube. I now use it to wash my face at night.

Anyone know where I can get a printable version of the cutting sheets shown on the methodshaving site? I suppose I could draw it out, but I'm lazy and can't draw worth a damn.

Thanks!

Steve,

Go to the link that you listed above. Right-click on the picture and you can choose to print it from there or save it to you computer.

Kyle said:
Steve,

Go to the link that you listed above. Right-click on the picture and you can choose to print it from there or save it to you computer.
I tried that, and all I can ever get is 1 or 2 pages. One page will have the "headers" at the top and the the other page is just quadrant 1. I can never get more than quadrant 1. I even tried a Mac. At one point I forget what I did but in some sort of preview (but not the regular print preview) I saw multiple images that had different lines. If you notice it looks as if there are 3 images added in the "headers" at the top. I'll be happy if I can just get all 4 quardrants but all three separate diagrams, like I said I don't know where they came from, would be cool to have.

It is almost as if each quadrant should be on a separate page but only the first one will print. I want a scaled down image on 1 page that prints completely.

Thanks!

I'm going to start incorporating the forms into my shaving tomorrow (thanks for the diagrams Kyle:thumbup1: ). I also think I'll order most of the CAR products and start trying them after I get my technique pretty good...So probably not for a couple of months or so.

Thanks again all, and I'll keep you posted on my progress!

Okay, I shaved today using the forms. I got some good razor burn though around the mustache and my whole mouth and upper chin.

I honestly don't think I have EVER been this SMOOTH.

I did 3 N-S passes (2 for my whole face, and one more for the first 2 quadrants. On each pass I opened the Vision up a half a click more. I was already starting to burn a bit. But I wanted to reduce my beard as stated to not feel much and I hadn't shaved since Wednesday night. Then I did Form 2 everywhere (at the same razor setting). Then I did form 3 (closed the razor half a click). I then did just a touch of T&C using form 3 a little bit more against the grain for my upper mustache/goatee area.

What do you guys think, should I do all those passes next time if I am getting razor burned? Or should I just focus on form 1 and maybe 2 for now until I get used to it (with a bit of T&C at then end), then add form 3 back in?

Thanks!

I emailed CAR, to ask about the burning. He said for now to just do 2 passes of form 1 and one of form 2. Don't worry about form 3 yet. So I'll give that a try on Monday.

Thats good advice from CAR, dont even go near that Lathermeister gefahr 4 passes das wurde dich sehr FATAL werden, Im nowhere near Quenron´s Skill his buying and shaving skill ... I got 7 cuts trying to do his babybutt method I need way more skill before I try his 4 passes I now use a combination of his pass.
He does warn its not for beginners... so I cant send him the bill for all the plasters and bandages... hihihi....

I think I may even give Charles Roberts a call, everyone does say he is very nice and helpful. I don't really plan on being a method shaver every shave, but I'm sure I can incorporate a lot of his techniques and products to fit my own needs.

However, now that I discovered how good the English Creams have there is no way I'm giving them up. I have SCAD big time.:smile:

I tried doing 2 N-S passes, (had to do one more for my mustaches/goatee area to get proper reduction) and then one pass of form 2 today. I had just a smidgen of burn under my nose after the form 2 pass, but nothing bad at all, not like it has been. I then decided to do some clean up with a modified form 3 but a bit more vertical, using some PSO and a QED shave stick rubbed a few times against the grain. This is where my the razor burn set in again mostly under my nose, and around the corners of my lips. Note, I didn't use PSO at all for form 1.

So it wasn't as bad as it has been in terms of razor burn but it wasn't as close as last time either. But that is ok with me. I figure I'll do this pattern until I can get by with no razor burn for at least 2 shaves in a row. Then I'll throw in form 3.

Steve,

Being fairly new to wet shaving, your face may not yet be ready for the abuse of a S-N shave. Even a fairly experienced wet shaver can experience some problems with this technique from time to time. A possible alternative would be to cut forms 1 and 2 and then follow up with an E-W / W-E pass (or horizontal from outside edge to midline). This should give you a little bit closer shave with less chance of irritation while your skin and technique learn to cooperate better with each other.

Hey Kyle,
That sounds like good advice. I think my problem around that area has been blade angle especially since the head is big it's hard to get a good angle. I was more conscious of it this time and that is why I didn't get burned until clean up really. So next time for cleanup I'll do a more horizontal pass, w/ maybe a half chevron in form 3 at most, I'll see if I feel any burn yet to tell. I'll also use an old sensor exce,l like I always did once the big ol' M3 heads came out, to get under my nose and avoid irritation.

I tell you though I'm loving the CAR aftershave for moisturizing ability. That works great with Aloe 80, cause the Aloe puts out the burn and soothes really fast. I just discovered that after the previous shave. Aloe 80 is a phenomenal soother.

Steve,

Welcome tom Wet Shaving, sorry I haven't been around much to help but life is hectic.

Anyhow.... If you are new and learning blade angle I will suggest you stick to 2 passes of form 1 and 1 pass of form 2 for now. Got it? alot of weird lookign numbers :w00t:

You goal is to learn angle of attack using the least amount of blade to acomplish the task. Start with the head of the razor flat on you face, and the handle parrallell to the floor. The slowly drop the handle and pull the blade until you feel it cut. This is the minimum angle needed to cut and where you will find the least irritation. cut strips about 1" and keep all focus on angle, as some places will need more and others less.

About 2 weeks of this and you will be getting so much cleaner on these the passes it will amaze you. Then it is time to try form 3. If you run your hand over your face after form 2 and feel any real long patches hair then you are not ready to cut form 3. You will only hurt your self as you lift and rip yourself to shreds (this is irritation, razor burn, white head, nasty bumps, etc...)

Thanks for the advice Adam, that's pretty much what I did tonight.

After talking to CAR yesterday I made some slight changes. I did the the 2 form 1 passes and then 1 form 2, followed by a very tiny bit of T&C. I used a Sensor Excel for my mustache and around my mouth as CAR suggested to avoid irritation. I still got a bit, but it has still been a bit red from all the abuse lately anyway.

I'm about as smooth as I was last time, go figure I did pretty much the same passes. Saturday was by far the smoothest I have ever been in my life with the addition of form 3 but my face paid the price. I got CARs products today. Now I have everyting but the hydrosol spray but I use the Davinci water instead. The cutting balm mixed with the hydrolast paste worked great for the T&C, but I'm happy to report that I had much less T&C to do on my whole face than last time. I think the Sensor helped around the lips for that. Next time I'll try the M3P to see how that works. I might also experiment mixing the cutting balm with raw shaving cream and see how that works.

Let me tell you even though I'm just as smooth as before my skin feels so soft. I think the cutting balm really made the difference. So I'm progressing nicely, I just wish I could use the Vision for my whole face because it really does get me closer, all in time I suppose.

Oh yeah I had dropped the PSO on the initial passes the last couple times but I think my lower neck is paying for that - so I will add it back in from the start at least to my neck. Thus, using it for every pass instead of just for form 2 & 3 when I did it.

Until the next shave... (Saturday afternoon for me in case you wondering) Don't know if I mentioned I only shave M, W, and Sat.

Oh yeah, I forgot to add. That thru talking with CAR, Brett G, and others I realized I should close my razor more and only open as much as needed to get traction. So I started at like .5 and went from there. I think that really helped too.

I learned a good lesson, that you don't need to open the razor too much to get a good close shave. I basically got just as close on much lower settings. I may even open it a bit less between passes next time.

One more thing, I got sent some cutting sheets from car and they changed slightly. It looks as if now it is a bit easier on the moustache, chin, and lower neck than before. I guess that tells me it is more or less individual eventually and I should experiment and see if I have any troubles. Once I get the baiscs down.

Top Bottom