What's new

Cutter Recommendation

Hello,
I've misplace my go to cutter (guillotine) and am going to look at this as an opportunity.
Thinking of a V-cutter or punch.
Punch: Twist vs. Pull-out...what's the difference?
V-cutter: had a cigar cut w/ one recently and liked it.

Suggestions or preferences out there? Going on a golf trip w/ 11 buddies and wouldn't mind sporting a new 'cutter'.

Commander Quan

Commander Yellow Pantyhose
I would go with a V over a punch, i've never had good luck with punches staying sharp. If i were in the marker for a new V it would be the Xikar one.

My father in law got me the porsche designs cutter and it has the v cutter and also a punch in the bottom. It's a pretty smart bit of kit.

I would go with a V over a punch, i've never had good luck with punches staying sharp. If i were in the marker for a new V it would be the Xikar one.

I have been using a Xikar punch for about 3 months. Seems to be getting dull. I may try a V shortly. I do prefer the punch over the cutter though.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
Ill tell ya, it isn't sexy, but those 2.00 single bladed cutters from the local smoke shop seems to work the best. When they dull after a few months or a year I toss it in the golf bag for emergencies and get another. I have a bunch of nicer ones, but they all lose keeness after a while, and I torn wrappers really get my panties in a bunch...:biggrin1:

Klipit

$3KLIP2.jpg

vgroove

$3KLIPV.jpg

Commander Quan

Commander Yellow Pantyhose
I have been using a Xikar punch for about 3 months. Seems to be getting dull. I may try a V shortly. I do prefer the punch over the cutter though.

Send it back. Xikar has an excellent lifetime warranty program. I sent back 2 Xi2s that were getting dull and they replaced them with 2 brand new ones. Turn around was about 3 weeks, but from what I've heard that's the longest it's ever taken to get them back, average is 2 weeks or less. or if you have a shop that sells them walk in and tell them you want to exchange it.

The cutters I sent back I'd been using for over 6 years so they certainly stood the test of time, and set a personal record for being lost and found the most number of times.

I have a Xikar V cutter that I was given as a gift recently. My father in law has had one for quite some time and I've always enjoyed using his, so he was kind enough to pick one up as a birthday gift.

I know this wasn't part of the question at hand, and I know I have basically no posts on this forum, but I've been extremely active in a couple cigar forums for the good part of the last 5 years, and I think hands down the consensus best straight cutter on the market is a Palio. Single action dual blade (both blades are on one track so you won't get the issue of one blade cutting fast than the other (as I always would with my Xikars). And Palio has a no questions asked warranty.

Regarding punch cuts, I have a Davidoff 3 sized circular punch which is great, but honestly I preferred my Xikar Xi009 punch. The cut itself was generously sized, but not so big that it would be too big for a <48 RG cigar. And of course the Xikar warranty is great.

And finally on V cuts, I hear the boston Lil' Guy is the best V cutter there is. However, it is also rounding $200, which is quite steep. The Wolf (and it's more expensive and all metal brother, the Xikar VX) is probably the best V cutter from a price-to-quality standpoint. I'm not a V cut fan, though many, many of my friends are, so I have no personal experience with either. I have heard of great experiences with the Wolf cutter however.

Hope it helps.

I like a guillotine cutter over anything else because it gives me more control over the cut. A V cutter isnt too bad, but the slice is exactly the same each and every time, which can be a good thing but it doesn't work well for smaller cigar and torpedo shaped cigars because it makes the draw a little funny. I have never used a punch personally.

I searched around (CI.com, Google, etc) and I saw anything from 59.99 to the listed price of a 100 bucks. I personnelly wouldn't drop 100 bucks on a cutter let alone 50.

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
Lately I have been using a *gasp* leatherman multi tool I was given by my Volunteer F.D. Damn edge is supremely sharp (and easy to keep it that way) and almost always on my hip. I have a few different cutters (Xikar Xi2, scissor cutter, cheapie throw away guillotine, etc) but I feel learning to cut a cigar with a very very sharp blade is a rare skill. I have pics of my grandfather cutting his with a very small and very sharp buck knife he always had on him.

But thats just my .02 cents and YMMV

That is outrageously high
check sites like cigar bid and cigar monster you should be able to find an xi2 on freefall for 25 or so
and as for the palio thing i have never used one but i must say it seems like palio and xikar are about tied for best, i have seen many a heated arguement on which is better..
I had an xi1 - great cutter (gave it away)
I have an X12 awesome cutter
I have a 007 punch- its great too but i dont love punches and I have a xikar v cut on its way
If your willing to spend 50 bucks on a cutter, half off a Xikar Xi1 isn't to bad.

http://shopwiseguys.com/xikar-xi1-red.html

Top Bottom