What's new

Cuts and gashes

how long does it usually take for cuts and gashes to heal to where you can shave again? The old 34c and derby made my face look like a murder scene last night. Anything I can to to heal faster?

Witch hazel, balms, and time, 2/3 days should be enough, maybe just with the grain for a couple of shaves, if you are not wolverine I am afraid there is nothing much you can do to “speed-heal”

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Well, last time I was cut, the Derby was my blade. Just sayin', lol.

Those things are straight out of hell and smell like sulfur for me.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
As mentioned above, maybe just WTG for a little while. I normally would go back to a cart if I have severe razor burn or cuts. That is me though.

how long does it usually take for cuts and gashes to heal to where you can shave again? The old 34c and derby made my face look like a murder scene last night. Anything I can to to heal faster?
Do you use a styptic pencil?
We're talking anhydrous aluminum sulfate, not potassium alum. It's like magic.
It stops bleeding immediately, and when I have to use it I don't see a scab. Since there's not much of a scab, it doesn't get scraped off the next day. So, I'm usually good to shave the next day.
If I had a really rough shave one day and had half a dozen weepers, I might forget where they were and re-open one or two of them the next day.

BTW - When it comes to buying styptic pencils, the Clubman Jumbo size is far less likely to snap in half just from looking at it too hard.

Homer has some wisdom to impart on the matter:
:lol: It never gets old.

Last edited:
Cuts? A week, otherwise you'll keep re-opening them with each shave. And toss the whole tuck of blades. Start with a new one.

SORRY!

It’s been quite awhile, so take this with a grain of salt: styptic pencil, then Lucky Tiger and a good skin cream. WTG only until things are 100%!

I would try to figure out why my shaving is going wrong: nicks, sure, but gashes? Try another blade, watch your pressure....

A slippery elm poultice works the fastest for me, in closing a wound. Takes a little maintenance but heals with a much less significant scar to show.

Medihoney from Derma Sciences seems to expedite the healing of flesh wounds, but it is no substitute for the styptic pencil. I typically don't notice the cut once the styptic is used, and it does not cause me to have a raised scab. I have not used Medihoney on my face for quite some time (knock on wood!), but when I "needed" to would simply dab some on the affected area and let it sit overnight. I also used the Medihoney for razor burn which seemed to help. At the very least, it helped me to stop obsessing over the butchering of my face... which helped me stop the butchering of my face.

Last edited:
This might be another option for some more severe instances. I use it on finger cracks and slices. You’d have to wait for healing and the product to slough off, or peel it off, or skirt around it when shaving.
I think best served when used in areas where skin is under regular flexing/movement, like maybe jawline, around mouth. I've not tried it for shaving.

Attachments

• 7E6CD704-E4FD-4E7E-994C-34FC05D7E3D8.jpeg
    7E6CD704-E4FD-4E7E-994C-34FC05D7E3D8.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 5
Top Bottom