What's new

Cut yourself lately? My son won't... ever.

I'm sure we all exercise a basic level of caution with our blades. In attempting to demonstrate how sharp the blades are to my 10 year old son, and how to properly handle them, I accidentally dropped a blade... and instinctively tried to catch it!

I think the cursing and blood made an impression. Probably won't shave till he's 20 now. :S

You?

I'm sure we all exercise a basic level of caution with our blades. In attempting to demonstrate how sharp the blades are to my 10 year old son, and how to properly handle them, I accidentally dropped a blade... and instinctively tried to catch it!

I think the cursing and blood made an impression. Probably won't shave till he's 20 now. :S

You?
No matter how careful you are it is very hard to stop that instinctive reaction. It has happened to me when assembling the razor so I speak from experience. I am a lot more careful now.

Sorry! There is an old Wall Street adage, "Don't try to catch a falling knife!"

I don't think they were talking about shaving, but the same principle applies.

I have never tried to do that before. Now my 2 year old did get ahold of one of my razors the other day that still had a blade in it and cut his finger (not badly as it was in the razor still so it couldn't go to deep.) Since then with the exception for the one I am currently using I pull all of the blades out of them now so if he does get them he won't cut his self

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Tapatalk

Well you have successfully proved how sharp they are while also showing him what NOT to do with them. :a30:

Hope you heal up quickly!

I was a wee lad perhaps all of three years old. I climbed up on the toilet and found my father's razor. Anyone else remember the old bath cabinets that hung over toilets? Well I sure do because I promptly sliced my finger open with my father's razor. Guess I watched him shave one too many times and curiosity got me. Ouch.

My stepfather always used an injector. When I was 8 I was playing with the blade holder and injected a blade into my hand. It took me 40 years before I would touch one again!

As a much younger man, and a straight razor shaver, I had what turned out to be a not so brilliant idea. I decided to shave while in the tub.

I hung a mirror over the spigot and would sit with my ankles crossed under it and this worked fine...until that fateful day I dropped my razor!

It hit the water flat and I was afraid to grab for it, move, or disturb the water in any fashion lest it get caught in a current and worsen the situation. And there I sat, dear readers, immobile with time itself at almost a standstill as I watched the blade slowly waft back and forth over the mark of my manhood in a scene worthy of Dr. Phibes. Fortunately for me I watched it swing forward above and dangerously close to the imperiled appendage then arc away at the last moment entirely missing any fleshy parts until it settled motionless on the bottom of the tub.

I do recall what was going through my mind for that seemingly interminably long time. I was thinking "How am I going to explain this at the emergency room?'.

Since then I always shave standing at the sink with my pants on!

Last edited:
The straight razor in the bathtub scenario related by Skeezixx is exactly why I try to avoid threads that are titled with words "shaving" and "shower"!
As for mishandling blades I've been lucky...knock on wood...and haven't had the misfortune either as a child or as an adult.
Alum block on bathroom tiles. Now we're talkin' some serious hilarity.

As a much younger man, and a straight razor shaver, I had what turned out to be a not so brilliant idea. I decided to shave while in the tub.

I hung a mirror over the spigot and would sit with my ankles crossed under it and this worked fine...until that fateful day I dropped my razor!

It hit the water flat and I was afraid to grab for it, move, or disturb the water in any fashion lest it get caught in a current and worsen the situation. And there I sat, dear readers, immobile with time itself at almost a standstill as I watched the blade slowly waft back and forth over the mark of my manhood in a scene worthy of Dr. Phibes. Fortunately for me I watched it swing forward above and dangerously close to the imperiled appendage then arc away at the last moment entirely missing any fleshy parts until it settled motionless on the bottom of the tub.

I do recall what was going through my mind for that seemingly interminably long time. I was thinking "How am I going to explain this at the emergency room?'.

Gee thanks. I'm sure to have nightmares tonight.

glad that story didn't end with you becoming John bobbit.

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Tapatalk

I remember back in the 70's, we got the Sunday sales inserts in our Saturday's newspaper.
There was a sample razor blade in with all the other advertisements.
My Mother called an Atlanta news station, and they came to our house and filmed a segment on the danger lurking in everyone's Sunday newspaper.
I now know after seeing NOS razor blades, that they were the Personna 74 blades.
If I could go back in time, I would have ran around the neighborhood and gathered all the blades that I could get my hands on!

My handling accidents seem to relate to the tabs of the blade that stick out on each side of the cap of the razor. Some modern razors cover those, I've noticed (but I have never bought such a razor).

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member

You?

I've done the very same thing. Fumbling a blade and trying to catch it is NOT a good idea lol. I could have used 4-5 stitches on the pad of my right thumb, but a folded paper towel and tape does wonders on deep cuts that clean!

I've done the very same thing. Fumbling a blade and trying to catch it is NOT a good idea lol. I could have used 4-5 stitches on the pad of my right thumb, but a folded paper towel and tape does wonders on deep cuts that clean!

Don't take this as actual medical advice, but if it is a laceration in a low tension area super glue actually works pretty well. Finger pad lacerations seem to be especially amenable to super glue. Anything over a joint it won't work out well though.

Top Bottom