What's new

Cut Out the Artisan Crap...Soap is Soap!

...I think the rest of the world has pretty much given up on them adopting it now 🤣
We use it internally in our engineering and industrial work, but we stupidly made the conversion to metric optional the last time it was tried, and the public did not accept such a half-hearted, lame attempt.

Metric system is for lazy people. Everything is 10 of everything else? Decimal much?

Pshaw!

Five Tomatoes For life!

I will say this, in my most recent engineering courses (in US) both metric and Imperial were taught.... but tests were given almost exclusively in metric and every single professor specified that metric was what you were expected to learn and you were free to convert any problems given in Imperial to metric and solve and didn't have to convert back before submission.

US will be metric or at least mostly metric within the next 50 years just due to that. If we don't convert we'll be going back to a pre-printing press era where the intellectual elite (The Church then, STEM degree-holders now) have this whole system (written word then, metric now) that the public doesn't understand.

I thought the US used the English system, which Wikipedia tells me that us Brits abandoned in 1826 in favour of the Imperial system, which is why their pints and ounces are different to ours. Wikipedia also tell me that the US signed up to the metric system just 40 years later in 1866, and then just over 100 years later in 1975, they had another crack at getting it implemented there, but everyone ignored that too. :lol:

I think the rest of the world has pretty much given up on them adopting it now 🤣
I catch a lot of maker type shows on YouTube. The Brit shows use Imperial & metric interchangeably. A host will say to drill a 5 mm hole, 3/4" from the end...

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I catch a lot of maker type shows on YouTube. The Brit shows use Imperial & metric interchangeably. A host will say to drill a 5 mm hole, 3/4" from the end...

I worked in heavy engineering for nearly 30 years, and came across a lot of hybrid dimensioning.

Bore a 350mm diameter hole +/- 0.005" (surface finish requirements might be in either Imperial CLA or metric Ra)
Metric tapped holes on imperial pitch circle diameters
Metric thread diameters, with the pitch in threads per inch.

• Sad
Reactions: Avi
One thing I'm grateful for, having worked as a Test Engineer for almost a decade, is that:

25.4 mm = 1 inch, forever BURNED INTO MY BRAIN

And since the thread has been derailed anyways

4.45 Newtons = 1 Pound

Keep in mind that's lbf which has to have the acceleration removed to be a lb.

(lbf = g x lb)

Ah unit tracking during physics (and thermo)...how beloved you are to every college kid ever.

God even now I'm getting confused rolling the numbers out...

kgf / 9.81m/s^2 = kgm...

So kgf = 9.81N

yeah there we go...

lbf = 32.174 lbm ft/s^2 ... which is roughly 21.5m/s^2 if my maths right.

/9.81m/s^2

= 2.2 which is lbm/kgm

THERE IT IS.

Last edited:
It's when us Brits see a big gallon tub of something and think "that's a good price", then you realise it's a US Gallon...

A fluid ounce is 28ml

10mm and 13mm spanners will get you through a lot of tasks, as will a Phillips no2 screwdriver

The width of your arms stretched out is usually the same as your height, so can be used for measuring approx 6ft or whatever.

Artisan obv means different thinks to different people, but they all share the love of a decent shave.

Sent from my P027 using Tapatalk

Keep in mind that's lbf which has to have the acceleration removed to be a lb.

(lbf = g x lb)

Ah unit tracking during physics (and thermo)...how beloved you are to every college kid ever.

1 lbf = 32.174 lbm ft/s^2
1kgf = 9.81 kgm m/s^2 = 1 N

1N = 1kgf = .225lbf

And this is precisely why I am no longer an engineer! Even when you think you know something, you really don't know jack. There's always a smarter guy in the room!

:D

No even what I had whipped up was wrong... shows how crazy these unit conversions across systems can be.

It all tracks back to kgm/lbm and I was trying to get there, but it's been a long time. Think I edited it to correct now...

Now

1N = 0.22 lbf

1kgm m/s^2 * 2.2lb/kg
2.2lbm m/s^2 *3.28 ft/m

7.22lbm ft/s^2
And since G ~ 32.174lbm ft/s^2

32.174/7.22 =

You guessed it...

~4.45

Sooo:

1N = 9.81kgf
1N = 0.2248lbf (or 4.45N = 1lbf)

BUT 1 lbf is 32.174 lbm ft/s^2

Which is 1lbm * g
where g = 32.174 ft/s^2

And the fun part of units?

Your weight when you stand on a scale? That's measuring lbf, not lbm (and likely converting to lbm). So technically, when most of us think of weight... it's something that can be expressed (correctly) in Newtons. Be sure to update your Tinder profiles to express your weight in Newtons, all the cool kids are doing it.

But yeah... umm... soap... it's wacky stuff.

Last edited:

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
Who called out the engineers on a soap/artisan definition thread? LOL

Artisan is a nice sounding word that has made the "our story" page of most anyone that has set up a small business selling anything they have a hand in creating or making.

If this was the 1990's they'd be soap gurus. I feel like the term artisan being bandied about went viral around 2005. About the same time all the "designers" appeared.

These days the websites and sales copy of all of the small sellers are largely the same formulaic pap. Which is probably one reason I like The Superior Shave. Jarrod at least has some copy that is unique.

All in all, it is what it is. No point in getting up in arms about it. Call it soap, or Shinola, it doesn't matter as long as you know the difference.

Okay Gents ..... this has certainly been one of the "most fun to read" threads ever here on B&B.
Now, I don't know about you, but for me, it's time to enjoy my usual sublime evening shave.
I'm going to lather up a nice batch of Stirling "Boat Drinks" soap (yes ..... it's artisan) with my
great little Stirling Synthetic brush, and shave it off with my Rockwell 6C and a Gillette Nacet.
Should be a great way to end my day ! Best wishes to all of you for safety and good health !

The 6 million barrel definition is used exclusively to define craft brewing in the USA by the Brewers Association. In all fairness and full disclosure it's likely set at that number so those big 4 that I previously mentioned can continue to define themselves that way.

I assume by your use of the metric system you are in Europe ("check out the big brain on Brad...that's right....the metric system" - Jules Winnfield) If I had to narrow it down with a guess, based on the reference in your username to an ancient Celtic festival I would guess either the UK or Ireland.

I have no idea about how they define craft beer in other countries, but I know I sure do enjoy those Samuel Smith imports from the UK as well as Westmalle & Rochefert and the other Trappist breweries from Belgium.

The world's largest brewery is, I think, ABInbev, a multinational based in Belgium. As a total company they produce well over 500 million barrels per year.

Next time just mention where does definition apply :302: I love making fun of Americans for their ignorance :lol: (jerk I know)

I agree with your point why the limit is set so high

And nope not from IR or UK

P.S. LOVE the reference!!!! Movies don't get quoted in life as much as they should!!!

Top Bottom