What's new

Cut a Tomo off my Shuobudani?

I can't answer the first part; I've heard finding the right tomo can be a bit of trial and error. As for the second part, if you want to shoot me a PM we can figure it out.

Gamma (and anyone else who wants to chime in) would a chunk of Nakayama be worth trying as a final nagura on my Shuobu? My Oozuku piece seems to work well, but is very small and may not last long.

PM sent

The alleged name of the alleged mine is fairly irrelevant here.
If the Tomo works - it works. So yes - trying new Tomo can be enlightening.
If one Tomo works better than another Tomo - cool. If not - it won't be because of the name of the mine it supposedly came from.
FWIW - I use Naka Tomo on my Shobu all the time. I also use Shobu Tomo on my Nakas all the time.
When I really wanna get a little crazy - I putta little Okudo Suita on both of them.

The alleged name of the alleged mine is fairly irrelevant here.
If the Tomo works - it works. So yes - trying new Tomo can be enlightening.
If one Tomo works better than another Tomo - cool. If not - it won't be because of the name of the mine it supposedly came from.
FWIW - I use Naka Tomo on my Shobu all the time. I also use Shobu Tomo on my Nakas all the time.
When I really wanna get a little crazy - I putta little Okudo Suita on both of them.

Kinda what I thought. Can't be sure it will work, but not for sure it wouldn't either.
Thanks

Of course, this gets us back to my original question. Now I wanna see how the Shuobu would work as nagura on the Oozuku...
hhmmm...

I have a piece of chu nagura I bought without thinking. Is it worth using or should I exchange it for something else?

Depends - good Chu is wonderful.
Crappy Chu is another story.

What level of honing is it best suites for? Medium grits or in finishing? I haven't a clue about its proper use. I bought it with a nakayama and it was in the section with high grit finishing stones so I assumed it was for finishing but I'm not 100%.

Traditionally - it's a middle grit stone. For polishing swords, it comes befor Koma.
Thing is - not all Chu is created equally.
Some is really fine/good, others - not so much.
I have a piece that Nelson gifted to me that is to die for.
I've had others that belong in the garbage can.

A lot of 'sellers' will label any old chalky white stone as 'Chu' - and unsuspecting buyers fall for it.
I'll stop there. :batman:

Couldn't stand it any longer.

$140607_0003.jpg

Works good

Additional info for anyone with jnats. Cheap super glue is not good for saving the stamps.
$140607_0004.jpg

Not unusual - there's a few possibilities. The side that gets wet often will usually seem softer just because it's been lapped through the top layers that have oxidized a bit, and it gets wetter more often.

Plus - any one of them can have multiple personalities. They're funny like that. Keeps things interesting.

Top Bottom