What's new

Cut a Tomo off my Shuobudani?

I only have one true tomo cut from the stone, it actually doesnt work as well as using a different tomo.

So I got beginner's luck. (more likely beginners lack of knowledge enough to know that it ain't working as good as he thinks it is. lol)

I'll stick with a diamond slurry for a while.

Plus I saved the dust from cutting the Oozuku, "instant slurry, just add water"...

Last edited:
I'll stick with a diamond slurry for a while.

Plus I saved the dust from cutting the Oozuku, "instant slurry, just add water"...

I dunno about that dust bc it may have carbide still in it... Have u tried that ozuku tomo on your shiboudani? It may be a good fit

I dunno about that dust bc it may have carbide still in it... Have u tried that ozuku tomo on your shiboudani? It may be a good fit

To confess the truth, I used a regular hacksaw on the Oozuku, so should be nothing but dust in that baggie. I'll get a carbide before trying the Shuobu, if I decide to cut.
Yes, the Oozuku Tomo nagura works well on the Shuobu, more reason to hold off on cutting it.

The dust might not work as imagined, even if you didn't use a carbide.
To use it with full confidence, you'd have to run it through a graded sieve.
Been there, done that - gouged my bevel with a rogue micro-chunk hiding in the powder.

Thuiri slurry on the 'nat wasn't wonderful. Might depend on the Thuri in question though - I only tried one slurry stone.

The dust might not work as imagined, even if you didn't use a carbide.
To use it with full confidence, you'd have to run it through a graded sieve.
Been there, done that - gouged my bevel with a rogue micro-chunk hiding in the powder.

Thuiri slurry on the 'nat wasn't wonderful. Might depend on the Thuri in question though - I only tried one slurry stone.

I know this is way too much work to be practical, but we are already way past practical at this point anyway, right? How about mixing some dust and water together and let it sit a few seconds, the large particles should settle to the bottom. Skim off a spoonful from the top 1/3 of the water column and that should be free of any large particles? Maybe.
Probably be too diluted to be of any use anyway.

I was going to suggest that, but it's a pain in the ***. You'd need to decant the mix and then evaporate the fluid.

A graded sieve would cost less than 10 bucks and it'll take 2 minutes to use.

I was going to suggest that, but it's a pain in the ***. You'd need to decant the mix and then evaporate the fluid.

A graded sieve would cost less than 10 bucks and it'll take 2 minutes to use.

Google fu failing me, where do I find one?

I haven't researched this in a long while - I got to the point where I'd rather just throw the dust away and use the slurry stone.

Thanks. I'm sure that is where I'll end up, but lapping the Oozuku left me with about a half a cup of dust. And since a tiny pinch of .25 diamond dust was working so well on the Welsh slates, I figured that much dust would last me years. (If this works, I'll wish I hadn't done the Shuobu on the belt sander...)

I had the same thoughts about the dust - I had a LOT of it, and not just Jnat dust. All kinds.
I dumped all of it. But - maybe you'll have better success.

1 x 1 is fine although you have to take into account the whole piece is not usable. Ive had a few delaminate under the saw. I use a diamond blade on an angle grinder, very light pressure although the blade spins very fast.

Random question; I've got a Nakayama I'm going to cut up: what's a good size 1x1 inch? Cheers!

Why are you cutting the stone up?
t's harder to cut smaller. I just cut a few pieces were 1 x 0.75" though.
Generally - I am cutting around a problem so the piece I'll get out of the host stone won't be square or rectangular.

Why are you cutting the stone up?
t's harder to cut smaller. I just cut a few pieces were 1 x 0.75" though.
Generally - I am cutting around a problem so the piece I'll get out of the host stone won't be square or rectangular.

It's got a toxic inclusion. I figured it wouldn't matter much if I turned into nagura, and can probably avoid the 'vein' pretty well with the cut pieces.

Top Bottom