What's new

Customized Injectors

Having just recently entered the wardrobe that led to SE shaving, I grabbed what SE razors I could find to try and zero in on a preferred one. Right now, I'm leaning towards the Schick Injector. Reading about them and picking some out to try, I am surprised that I don't see more modified or customized injector razors out there. Seems like you can find examples readily in DE razors and even some GEM/Ever Ready models, but not Schicks.
I know that North Shore and Delta Echo offer injector services, but I never see any out there. And honestly, it seems like the type E and G Schick injectors would be the easiest to modify or revamp. Google searches didn't turn up much, and even digging through B&B, I've only come across one thread of someone replacing a handle:
Custom Schick Injector Handle

Things like handle replacement/modifying/painting or even head replating SEEM like they can be done fairly easily. And with how readily available and for the most part reasonably priced they seem to be, I'd think there would be tons of customized injectors out there that people have tried.
But I guess there's not much interest in it.

Brother bigjeff,

Interesting observation and question.

I would guess that the injectors as a group are so good to use, and so beloved, there is little motivation or purpose in modifying them. As for re-plating, one can probably find an excellent specimen for sale within a week or two that costs less than a re-plate job.

Reminder: for the best shaves keep the head pretty much flat against the face.

I have two Type Ds, one with the original gold-plate, the other was Rhodium plated by the gent I bought it from. He told me that he had it done by Razor Emporium.

I've though about shortening the handle of my Schick Stick. Also thought about doing it to an adjustable, but don't think it would be as clean and easy of a mod as the stick would be.

I have two Type Ds, one with the original gold-plate, the other was Rhodium plated by the gent I bought it from. He told me that he had it done by Razor Emporium.
Wow a rhodium D, that sounds gorgeous!

I've though about shortening the handle of my Schick Stick. Also thought about doing it to an adjustable, but don't think it would be as clean and easy of a mod as the stick would be.

Wow a rhodium D, that sounds gorgeous!
You mean to take off the shift knob and reattach on the shortened stem?

You mean to take off the shift knob and reattach on the shortened stem?
Yeah, that would be the plan. Just hacksaw the handle down. Then clean out the old handle from the ball, probably with a Dremel tool. Or a drill if it's solid, but I think it's hollow. Then a little glue to reattach the ball. Seems like it would be a pretty simple mod. Then it will shift more like a race car than a truck. :wink2:

Having just recently entered the wardrobe that led to SE shaving, I grabbed what SE razors I could find to try and zero in on a preferred one. Right now, I'm leaning towards the Schick Injector. Reading about them and picking some out to try, I am surprised that I don't see more modified or customized injector razors out there. Seems like you can find examples readily in DE razors and even some GEM/Ever Ready models, but not Schicks.
I know that North Shore and Delta Echo offer injector services, but I never see any out there. And honestly, it seems like the type E and G Schick injectors would be the easiest to modify or revamp. Google searches didn't turn up much, and even digging through B&B, I've only come across one thread of someone replacing a handle:
Custom Schick Injector Handle

Things like handle replacement/modifying/painting or even head replating SEEM like they can be done fairly easily. And with how readily available and for the most part reasonably priced they seem to be, I'd think there would be tons of customized injectors out there that people have tried.
But I guess there's not much interest in it.
Go to northshore's IG page, he has a few custom injectors with modified handles that look really nice.

E's were bakelite from what I always understood. Catalin was used for later types.

E-1- E-5 Type E

Schick Injector Razor

Deluxe Model

Magazine Repeating Razor Co.

1935-1945

In 1927 the Bakelite patent expired and was acquired by the Catalin Corporation that same year. The Catalin Corporation (refined the Bakelite formula and manufacturing process to create cast phenolic resins and renamed the material as Catalin.) Dr. Baekeland had actually patented cast phenolics in 1909 with bakelite, and his company produced the cast resins in small amounts until around 1929 when the demand for the molded materials became so high that the company focused on them instead. The Bakelite Corporation was to regret this later because the Catalin Corporation re-introduced this cast phenol-formaldehyde resin in 1928 and by 1933 total sales were 2,800,000 pounds. A few years later in 1941 that number had increased to 6,000,000 pounds. Within a very short time there were many other companies who licensed and used the formula to produce cast phenolic resins and paid Catalin a 4 percent royalty in order to do so.

F0E358BB-001E-4EDC-9873-8CB94E103AD6.jpeg
9B2EB3D3-330C-4B06-927F-FD1EA3AA2ED1.jpeg
Since the bakelite handle on my injector completely fell apart I remembered I had a wooden dowel in my shop and figured I would cut a piece,drill a hole in it and slap it on my injector.It looks Ok,I will continue to play with it.

That’s a great idea, I have one that sounds like it could use the same treatment (current handle is down to almost nothing and currently wrapped in tape 🤦‍♂️)
just google the 3d file and print one up. It required very minimal sanding.. I didn't sand it smooth because the bumps from printing actually help with grip...

Top Bottom