What's new

Customer service rant

Bought the "learn a language" CDs. Talk about distracted driving! At the rate I am mastering Italian while behind the wheel, the only thing anyone will be able to comprehend is my hand gestures. :)

If you want to learn a foreign language really and not just tourist phrases and you want to do it on your own, i would suggest to keep the "learn a language CD" only as a auxiliary device and instead buy a "learn a language" book, a dictionary and some italian films on dvd/blu-ray, so that you can read english subtitles while you listen. Then the CD will also come useful for pronounciation. My brother learnt german on his own using this method. He also passed an exam for german language certificate with flying colours. Watching US films with subtitles has also helped me tremendously in writing english as well as understanding it better when listening at it.

Well, a few phrases might suffice. For example:

Where is the bathroom?
Dov'è il bagno?

My friend will pay.
Pagherà il mio amico.

I'll have the chicken.
Prenderò il pollo.

How much?
Quanto costa?

Put down the gun.
About this...Here most of the people go out in the street unarmed. If, by bad coincidence, you happen to encounter someone who points a weapon at you, it is unlikely that he will put it down, only because you will say so. In such case, it's better to scream "help" (aiuto) or "police" (polizia) or "to the thief!" (al ladro!). I say this, for your own safety. At any rate, "put down the gun" (abbassa la pistola).

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
If you want to learn a foreign language really and not just tourist phrases and you want to do it on your own, i would suggest to keep the "learn a language CD" only as a auxiliary device and instead buy a "learn a language" book, a dictionary and some italian films on dvd/blu-ray, so that you can read english subtitles while you listen. Then the CD will also come useful for pronounciation. My brother learnt german on his own using this method. He also passed an exam for german language certificate with flying colours. Watching US films with subtitles has also helped me tremendously in writing english as well as understanding it better when listening at it.
Just watch out for shady Hungarian/English phrasebooks. :)

FWIW, knowing another language isn't the same as being fluent in another language. If you learn Spanish as spoken on the Iberian Peninsula, it will be Spanish, but not necessarily the type of Spanish spoken in Mexico. There's different idioms, just as their are between the US and Great Britain.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Put down the gun.
About this...Here most of the people go out in the street unarmed. If, by bad coincidence, you happen to encounter someone who points a weapon at you, it is unlikely that he will put it down, only because you will say so. In such case, it's better to scream "help" (aiuto) or "police" (polizia) or "to the thief!" (al ladro!). I say this, for your own safety. At any rate, "put down the gun" (abbassa la pistola).

Perhaps knowing the phrase for "I abjectly apologise for insulting you" is better. That, or toss him your wallet and run (depending on the situation.)

Just watch out for shady Hungarian/English phrasebooks. :)

Unless you are a tobacconist who is full of eels.

Perhaps knowing the phrase for "I abjectly apologise for insulting you" is better. That, or toss him your wallet and run (depending on the situation.)

Sir, here if someone pulls a weapon you, a tourist, it means that you are unarmed. Unless you manage to legally pass a weapon into Italy. From that point on, you can try to resist, but if he pulls a gun on you, there are good chances he is prepared to use it. If you are Steven Seagal, you may try to neutralize him. If not, giving him your wallet and immediately afterwards asking for help, is another. The choice is yours.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!

Unless you are a tobacconist who is full of eels.
I cannot wait til lunchtime.

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
AI is coming quickly. I ponder about what this will mean. I suspect this will be a mix of good and awful.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
AI is coming quickly. I ponder about what this will mean. I suspect this will be a mix of good and awful.

proxy.php

"Walmart greeters and truck drivers aren't people! .... They AREN'T PEOPLE!!"

Top Bottom