What's new

Custom Trac II handles

As some of you already know, I absolutely love Trac II shaving system. I think that - with all the modern developments in cartridge shaving - Trac II still holds its own. I prefer it over most modern cartridges. However, we don't have very many options when it comes to fancy (or simply different) handles, so I did some searching online and found this guy named Andreas on Etsy (just do a quick search on Trac II). He lives in Germany and makes his own Trac II handles. Most of the stuff I've seen was made of wood and horn, which is all fine and dandy (if you love some rustic-themed shaving tools), but then I noticed he had a couple of short, colored handles too. I wanted something that would resemble old classic Schick Injectors in terms of length and weight (which is about as long the classic short-handled Gillette DE Super Adjustable but the weight is only around 30g).

Since I also love Proraso products, especially Red & Green lines and was thinking about making a little shaving display, I wanted two Trac II handles in Red and Green too. I messaged Andreas and asked him if this was possible, and he had them ready for me in a week or so. I just wanted to write a short review and say the the feel is absolutely great: it feels like shaving with a cartridge version of Schick Injector; it's light and nimble, obviously very safe and comfortable for multiple passes. Unlike Schick injector systems, this makes it possible to travel and fly with it without any hassle and the colors could be... well, anything you want, really. The handle is short and colorful and the pictures don't do it justice. The thin rod is brass and it has this thicker mineral surface that is very "grippy" and non-slippery under any condition, even if your hand is literally covered in lather. The color is vibrant and when the light hits it just right, it also sparkles... something that can't be captured in photos very well. The head is also nice, heavy brass, but the "mounting plate" for cartridges that is soldered to the head (and is almost 1mm thick) is made of bronze. This seriously oozes style and quality. I have spent last couple of weeks shaving with this custom-made system and am very pleased with it. The head is much better and more solid than the standard Trac II version, it requires less pressure and the glide is more smooth. Just wanted to share a couple of pictures with you guys:

IMG_2204.jpgIMG_2251.jpg

Last edited:
As some of you already know, I absolutely love Trac II shaving system. I think that - with all the modern developments in cartridge shaving - Trac II still holds its own. I prefer it over most modern cartridges. However, we don't have very many options when it comes to fancy (or simply different) handles, so I did some searching online and found this guy named Andreas on Etsy (just do a quick search on Trac II). He lives in Germany and makes his own Trac II handles. Most of the stuff I've seen was made of wood and horn, which is all fine and dandy (if you love some rustic-themed shaving tools), but then I noticed he had a couple of short, colored handles too. I wanted something that would resemble old classic Schick Injectors in terms of length and weight (which is about as long the classic short-handled Gillette DE Super Adjustable but the weight is only around 30g).

Since I also love Proraso products, especially Red & Green lines and was thinking about making a little shaving display, I wanted two Trac II handles in Red and Green too. I messaged Andreas and asked him if this was possible, and he had them ready for me in a week or so. I just wanted to write a short review and say the the feel is absolutely great: it feels like shaving with a cartridge version of Schick Injector; it's light and nimble, obviously very safe and comfortable for multiple passes. Unlike Schick injector systems, this makes it possible to travel and fly with it without any hassle and the colors could be... well, anything you want, really. The handle is short and colorful and the pictures don't do it justice. The thin rod is brass and it has this thicker mineral surface that is very "grippy" and non-slippery under any condition, even if your hand is literally covered in lather. The color is vibrant and when the light hits it just right, it also sparkles... something that can't be captured in photos very well. The head is also nice, heavy brass, but the "mounting plate" for cartridges that is soldered to the head (and is almost 1mm thick) is made of bronze. This seriously oozes style and quality. I have spent last couple of weeks shaving with this custom-made system and am very pleased with it. The head is much better and more solid than the standard Trac II version, it requires less pressure and the glide is more smooth. Just wanted to share a couple of pictures with you guys:

View attachment 1085566View attachment 1085568

Excellent solution!! :)

Attachments

• 1587170725386.png
    1587170725386.png
    12.1 MB · Views: 33
Those handles are grand! What cartridges do you use?

Different ones... currently, I am trying these generic Korean-made Trac II cartridges I found in a local supermarket. Not bad. I think they might be made by Dorco. They are not very smooth, but they do shave well once you figure them out. I mean, they are 25 cents per cartridge... it's good deal. I wish Schick still made their twin blade cartridges.

I just got this baby in the mail today. Used but in great condition. Nice and heavy. Advertised as pewter but through some research I found out it is stainless steel made to look like pewter. It says "Schick" on it but it was made by a company called "International Silver". There are several listings for this on the big auction site. I can't wait to try it out tomorrow morning with a NOS Schick Super II Ultrex Cart (that will fit on pivoting and fixed handles) without a lube strip. I've never used a genuine Gillette Trac II cart, nor a Schick Super II cart, only a Personna Twin Pivot Plus on a Gillette PII handle.

I don't know if these stainless steel ones were ever sold directly, because as you can see I attached 2 pics I found that show you could get it for free after buying 2 packs of Super 2 carts. Also note that on the back of the package it mentions it is made of stainless steel. There are some listings of this in a nice jewelry-type box with Super II adjustable cartridges that claim the handle is made of Sterling Silver, but it looks an awful lot like the one I got. Also some with fancier handles. All made by "International Silver". So maybe the one I got was the free one, made of stainless steel, while the other ones were indeed made of sterling silver. But they are selling from $40 to $120, though most contain 4 hard-to-get-at-reasonbale-price adjustable cartridges. I got mine for $19 including tax and shipping. So I am happy. If it were made of sterling silver I don't think it would change the shaving experience.

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    268.7 KB · Views: 37
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    389.3 KB · Views: 40
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    343.3 KB · Views: 35
I just got this baby in the mail today. Used but in great condition. Nice and heavy. Advertised as pewter but through some research I found out it is stainless steel made to look like pewter. It says "Schick" on it but it was made by a company called "International Silver". There are several listings for this on the big auction site. I can't wait to try it out tomorrow morning with a NOS Schick Super II Ultrex Cart (that will fit on pivoting and fixed handles) without a lube strip. I've never used a genuine Gillette Trac II cart, nor a Schick Super II cart, only a Personna Twin Pivot Plus on a Gillette PII handle.

I don't know if these stainless steel ones were ever sold directly, because as you can see I attached 2 pics I found that show you could get it for free after buying 2 packs of Super 2 carts. Also note that on the back of the package it mentions it is made of stainless steel. There are some listings of this in a nice jewelry-type box with Super II adjustable cartridges that claim the handle is made of Sterling Silver, but it looks an awful lot like the one I got. Also some with fancier handles. All made by "International Silver". So maybe the one I got was the free one, made of stainless steel, while the other ones were indeed made of sterling silver. But they are selling from $40 to $120, though most contain 4 hard-to-get-at-reasonbale-price adjustable cartridges. I got mine for $19 including tax and shipping. So I am happy. If it were made of sterling silver I don't think it would change the shaving experience.
That is the Paul Revere model, there is indeed two models. Solid Silver and Silver plated. Are you sure yours is Stainless steel?

My favourite Trac II handle is the Wilkinson Sword Profile Fixed Metal.

I don't know. It was advertised by the seller as Pewter. But the ad above says "Pewter like", and says it is really stainless steel. I have no idea how to tell. It wasn't slippery at all even though it has a smooth finish. I got a terrific shave with it this morning. :001_smile

Very nice! I prefer the Atra because I miss less spots around the jaw line and the rotating blade gets it done every time - But long live the Atra/Trac II cartridge!

You can get 100 Personnas on Amazon for $18.99!

Top Bottom