What's new

Custom Lather Bowl

Hey all, a friend of a friend has opened her own pottery studio. I need your help/suggestions.

Originally, my very first shaving kit I bought came with a small steel bowl. It's small, smooth bottom, but worked well. Eventually I wanted to try something bigger, and decided to try using the plastic bowls I have here. The dimensions are 4.5" across, 2" deep, and have a very very slight abrasive bottom. Perfect size in my opinion. I've wanted to buy something real nice, and have had my eye on the Captain's Choice bowls, but awful exchange rate has been stopping me. So now that this pottery studio is open, why not support local and get something special?

So here is where I need your help. I would like you guys to tell me your favourite/preferred features in bowls that you have used over the years.

Do you like a skinnier and deeper mug style?
Short and wide much like the CC bowls?
Do you prefer smooth bottom or some sort of texture?
Does the texture make a noticeable difference in lathering?
Is there a certain texture you prefer? ie. circular lines? bumps? zig zag?
Do you like a handle? If so, what type of handle?
The Captain's Choice badge/logo. Does something like that add in holding stability?
Are scuttles worth it?

Any and all answers, suggestions, input is greatly appreciated.

Welcome to B&B, Sir esky15!

nice to support your local artisans!
You’ll get lots of great ideas!
My only suggestion....have her make Two copies!
In my experience, one always falls or slips!
Post a pic when complete!

In my view this bowl is ideal. 4 1/2” diameter and 2 1/8” tall. I’m not into ridges or bumps. A textured glazed would be a good feature. You want a rounded bottom going into nearly vertical sides. A flared lip works well.

7AA59FD5-41BB-4BD9-A29C-B775D4C6316D.jpeg

Skinnier/deeper and short/wide both work equally well for me. I have both a Timeless bowl (deeper) and a Captains Choice bowl (wider), and they both perform equally well. The important thing is that the upper portion of the wall is flared outward. If not, expect a lot of clanging of your brush against the wall (I know from experience as I also have a lather bowl that is flared inward and I don't use it due to the clanging).

I prefer ridges or bumps or some kind of texture on the bottom of my lather bowl. I believe it aids in building a quick lather. I also use some of the pockets created by the ridges to press some soap, add a few drops of water, and let it soak while I shower. I believe this also helps build lather quicker.

I'm a no handle person. Anything else is up to you.

I think rough texturing at the bottom of the bowl definitely helps in building a lather. Otherwise, it sort of comes down to personnel preference. Do you want the bowl to fit comfortably in your hand? Do you have large hands? Small hands?

Do you prefer a bowl with steeper sides so lather doesn't slop over the place? Do you like a shallow bowl?

Top Bottom