What's new

Custom injector handle?

I just got a G-type injector and the Bakelite handle just snapped right through. :crying:

Have any of you made or purchased a custom handle for such a razor?

Funny you should ask this!
here's what I've been working on today. I bought the type J a few weeks ago knowing it had a bent (from heat?) handle, but it was cheap and I wanted the two vintage blade cartridges and blades it came with. When the head cleaned up nicely I decided to make a handle for it.
I'll post better pics here when it's done.
$injhandle1.jpg

I saw one that had a antler handle. You could probably drill a hole in anything and attach the head with epoxy.

-jim

Aaaaaaand it's done! Here are some pics from my instagram showing the process my Dad went through. He's been retired for almost a year now, so he's taking on lots of fix-it and custom projects.

proxy.php

He carefully removed the last bits of the handle from the head, and then drilled inside an oak dowel to add fishing weights. He then epoxied them in there and sealed off the hole (frame #1 below). He then sanded the dowel into a squareish shape and tapered the butt end. It's longer, wider, and prettier than the original (not talking about you, Sammy the cat!)

proxy.php

That's a Varithane "espresso" stain to match a similar project I did with a Yardley (I think) shaving soap bowl, shown below. An aerosol "outdoor" semi-gloss final finish was added, with a blow drier used between coats. I just got it in the mail last night, and had been saving up my stubble for a couple days in anticipation of my first shave with it! It will have a permanent spot in my den.

proxy.php

Very nice! That is the one thing about most custom handles - they are predominately turned. Not since the A have Schick handles been round. (hope I'm not missing one here!).

Good on your Dad, I like this one, might have a go at something like that myself.

-jim

I got a golden 500 hydro-magic head that was wobbly in the handle (cracked handle at the pin). I gave some serious consideration to having a metal handle turned for it then having it all Rhodium plated. Then I thought... wow I'd have a $150 injector that was worth $10.... naw... I returned it to the eBay seller for a refund.

Good looking handle. Only issue is its wood and i wonder how it will hold up to repeated exposure to water and soap?

He sprayed some outdoor semi-gloss varnish on the handle to protect it from this. I'll wipe it down after each use as I do with the outside of my shaving soap bowl pictured above. I haven't had any trouble with that one, so hopefully this one will hold up the same.

Top Bottom