What's new

Custom D01 Shavemac - 20% off, 3 knot sizes, 3 handle choices, 3 colors, engraving

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys! Many thanks to Domino, who found this out:

---------------------------------------------------
Handle 1
Height = 47 mm
Diamemeter= 34 mm

Handle 2
Height = 44 mm
Diamemeter= 36 mm

Handle 3
Height = 45 mm
Diamemeter= 34 mm
--------------------------------------------------

Handle 1
Faux Horn
Bulb
21 mm knot = 50 mm loft
+1, ordered mine the other night with the same specs. After reading this, though, I'm wondering if I should have gotten the fan? It seems like everyone is going with the fan option.

Right now I literally cannot imagine a better brush than my rooney 1/1. It has broken in and feels so good that I look for any excuse to touch my face with it. I can't wait to see how the D01 compares. I originally wanted one to complement my rooney so that I had a brush to bowl lather with if I wanted, and to use with creams. Right now I'm a exclusively a soap / face latherer, but if this knot is as good as everyone says, it may end up replacing the rooney, in which case I'll probably wish I had gotten the fan shape as I really like it on the rooney.

I was thinking the same thing but I have a Simpson that is more of a fan so I figured I'd try the bulb shape. Hope I like it. It was the one option I kept waffling on.

I was thinking the same thing but I have a Simpson that is more of a fan so I figured I'd try the bulb shape. Hope I like it. It was the one option I kept waffling on.
Sounds like you're in the same boat as me. I was set on 21mm, faux horn, and style 1. And I was actually pretty much set on bulb since I had the rooney fan. I'm sure I'll like the brush overall, it's just a matter of whether or not I'll like the bulb as much as the (rooney) fan. We'll see :w00t: Maybe I'll like it more :thumbup1:

I think that for anyone who has a Rooney, a bulb shape Shavemac would be a good complementary brush.

From reading the above posts I understand that the bulb shape is ideal for bowl lathering and the fan shape is ideal for face lathering
Can anyone confirm?
Is there a real benefit of 20 or 21 mm knot compared to the 19mm?

I have a samll Rooney, bulb shape for face lathering and the brush shape is just fine. I would tell you that if you are going to bowl lather the size and loft of the smallest brush in this deal may not work well. At least I find that to be the case with my small Rooney Heritage. It just doesn't whip up and hold enough lather. It does a good job on face lathering for 3+ passes, however.
Larry

I couldn't resist. Ordered the Style 1, Black, 19mm Fan.

This should complement my Shavemac D01 23mm Bulb shape that I purchased back in early January. It's been fantastic, but I figured it couldn't hurt to have a smaller fan brush for soaps, and at this price it's about $60 less than I spent on my custom Shavemac... Great deal.

Sounds like you're in the same boat as me. I was set on 21mm, faux horn, and style 1. And I was actually pretty much set on bulb since I had the rooney fan. I'm sure I'll like the brush overall, it's just a matter of whether or not I'll like the bulb as much as the (rooney) fan. We'll see :w00t: Maybe I'll like it more :thumbup1:

I pretty much bowl lather at this point and it sounds like a bulb will be well suited for a bowl latherer. But based on the feedback on the Shavemac brushes, I think it will be exceptional and I am really looking forward to this brush.
Heck, this is the most expensive brush I'll own (at this point), but since I already own a fan shaped brush, I figured I should try a bulb shape. Varity is the spice of life! :thumbup1:

From reading the above posts I understand that the bulb shape is ideal for bowl lathering and the fan shape is ideal for face lathering
Can anyone confirm?
No confirmation here. I personally feel that a bulb shape is better for face lathering.

Is there a real benefit of 20 or 21 mm knot compared to the 19mm?
Will they both make adequate lather for 3+ passes from either soaps or creams? Yes.
Some people prefer slightly larger or smaller knots. 21mm is my ideal size, but I know that Richard (expatCanuck), for one, wanted a smaller brush so he chose the 19mm.

Last edited:
It looks like more grayish than a brownish faux horn. Am i correct. I don't think I am into the brownish faux horn color of some brushes such as a Rooney but the grayish imitation horn looks nice.

Anyone have the imitation horn and can verify if it is grayish or brownish horn color.

It looks like more grayish than a brownish faux horn. Am i correct. I don't think I am into the brownish faux horn color of some brushes such as a Rooney but the grayish imitation horn looks nice.

Anyone have the imitation horn and can verify if it is grayish or brownish horn color.

It will be grayish, not brownish. Looks really cool to me.

Here is a review with the exact handle as our Handle 1 in imitation horn:
Shavemac 21mm Finest Badger Horn Imitation

Now that looks browner than the other pictures of imitation horn shavemac uses
The brown imitation horn pictured here is not the imitation horn that will be used in this offer. This is a good example of Handle 1 in imitation horn, and this grayish color is the one that will be offered in this group buy.

What's the difference between these brushes and his regular silvertips?

Here's a comparison between the two.

D01 is much denser, and has more backbone than Silvertip. But it is still very soft. Kind of the holy grail of brush hair, in my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom