What's new

Custom D01 2 Band Shavemac

Ok well some of you guys may know Ive been waiting on this brush for quite sometime. Its been over 6 weeks after I placed the order to get it here. Was it worth it? In a nut shell oh yes! I sure think so :thumbup:

Where to start, where to start? lets start here. After owning many nice high end and custom brushes and shaving gear. I have been slowly getting more in to the performance, efficiency and ergonomics of all things shave related.

This is a 22mm bordering a 23 mm knot size, 42 mm loft height, extreme flat top, 49 mm handle height. I have found this to be my personal sweet spot ranging from 20-22 knot 42-45 loft height and 49-52 handle height.

Just so you know I am a face latherer using primarily soaps. For some reason this combo tends to be very efficient in producing lather and giving it back no hogs here. Even with this amount of density the loft and size lets the lather back out. :thumbup:

I had first ordered this brush as a 22 then I changed it to a 20 I guess Bernd must have not been able to change it out or forgot regardless its all good. Im very happy with the diameter. I did say extra dense to Bernd by the way. This guy is dense very very dense as dense or maybe more than a rooney super.

The handle is not a major looker when it comes to handles. Its simplicity and the ergonomics makes it an ideal performance brush with a fantastic hand feel. The material feels very sturdy with a touch of heft.

Ok so lets get to it! its hair time :biggrin1: This hair is super white at the tips and very dark at the shafts. The shafts are also thicker than say a regular silver or a super grade of hair. That gives this brush more backbone than other grades of hair. The hair is super water absorbent but yet retains is nice backbone and its super plush tips. When you take this guy to load up it just eats soap like no ones business. The extreme flat top shape helps to get an even heavy load of soap. The face feel of this type of top feels amazing, like nothing else. You really get to feel the intense full effect of a 22 knot on the face. All those velvety plush platinum tips, all in unison, evenly pressured churning up and exploding a lather. Forget it this thing almost lathers itself up! By far the best brush Ive ever tried in all aspects, from performance to face feel.

I treated this brush to a pre break in (as found in my signature). I had to cut my process short because I was anxious to try it out. During and after the treatment I really was very rough with it. Why? I wanted check out how strongly made it was and see if there is any loose hairs. Well it took my heavy beating like a champ and has lost no hairs. Very well made and I wouldnt do that to it again but now I know.

So you might now be wondering but how does it compare to another 2 band?

Well first off its no rooney finest sorry but its true there is just nothing a rooney finest.
Wait wait so is a rooney finest better ? No not at all just different, so far Im liking the shavemac better after just one use.

So whats the difference, well a rooney finest is even more resilient very intense with pinkish, yellowish, white tips. It also takes a little bit of work to get it to soak up water. When its ready its a true beast!

What about a the current 2 band simpsons? Well the shavemac is a much better hair type and quality. Where the simpsons seems to look and feel like a lower hair grade beached out. The quality and craftsmanship is a hit or miss. These are just my personal opinions dont be offended.

So then what in the world does this D01 hair compare to? Well I would say imagine a very high grade of a super with the ultimate in softness but with much more backbone than a regular grade super.

Here are some pics pre and post bloom still slightly damp in comparison to my rooney heritage stubby finest.

ze end

Pre use
full

full

full

full

Post Bloom and comparison
full

full

full

full

full

full

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry about asking this but do you know how it compares to the other of the big three brush makers highest grades i.e the Plisson HMW?

Regards Grant

Sorry about asking this but do you know how it compares to the other of the big three brush makers highest grades i.e the Plisson HMW?

Regards Grant

Personally never tried a plisson, but my good friend had one and told me it was great but nothing as nice as a rooney hair wise. They do make the prettiest handles though.

As for other comparisons please read my original post.

Just curious about cost? Also, are there more than a couple of handle shapes? I have seen a couple or more threads on Shavemacs, and it seems they are mostly PJ shapes and this one.

Just wondering.

Tracy

Just curious about cost? Also, are there more than a couple of handle shapes? I have seen a couple or more threads on Shavemacs, and it seems they are mostly PJ shapes and this one.

Just wondering.

Tracy

It cost me $149.00 shipped, really cheap for this kind of brush I think. As for handles Bernd does have a nice amount of options, I just liked this one in particular.

Nice looking brush! I'm waiting for my custom Shavemac with D01 2-band finest to arrive! I basically went with the smallest D01 (944-18) that is offered and chose the ivory handle. It is an 18mm knot, 48mm loft. I had the 20mm D01 version and loved it. It was just a bit too big for my taste. I think the 18mm is going to be my sweet spot!

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
I just tracked my knot, it is in transit, so it will be here on the 12th - keeps fingers crossed. Hoped to have it today, so I could make a handle over the weekend.

Thank you Andy and Hunter for taking the time to read my post :thumbup1:

Ive been using this brush non stop since I got it and Im really getting used to the correct product to water ratio for it. It just explodes in lather every time and its super soft super dense and has a ton of backbone. Not to mention the handle fits like a glove :thumbup1:

Rudy keep us posted on your brush, I would also like to know what you think.

V

VR6ofpain

Neat brush. Were the hairs trimmed? I have never seen a 2-band with such short white bands, and such long black bands. Very unique.

Neat brush. Were the hairs trimmed? I have never seen a 2-band with such short white bands, and such long black bands. Very unique.

Good question, Ive been wondering myself they hairs do seem to be slightly trimmed to me as well. Ill have to email Bernd to find out.

I just tracked my knot, it is in transit, so it will be here on the 12th - keeps fingers crossed. Hoped to have it today, so I could make a handle over the weekend.

After I read Ambrose's first post on his custom order I also ordered a D01 2band knot but in 23mm from Bernd. Well it went through some trial and tribulations ..like being held in Tennessee by Fish and Wildlife. It was scheduled to arrive on Friday but on Thursday I received a call from Fedex on my voice mail , saying it was being held by the Dept of F&W and could I elaborate on what was contained in the package. Oh the best part was that they asked if I had a special Fish and game license ...:001_huh: Of course when I called back they were closed ... The next day the Fedex rep contacted me saying it was released and it was sitting on my steps when I arrived home.

I was shocked that the knot was actually still in the " Protective " bag he shipped it in due to the fact of Fish and Wildlife slicing it open and failing to tape both sides..
proxy.php
proxy.php
The thin plastic box he sent it in was crushed also.
proxy.php
proxy.php
" I was a little upset that I spent $140 on a knot and Bernd sent it so " Unprotected" . It's a miracle the knot survived. ....

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
Wow, now I am a little afraid what I get. I have to travel on my real job this week, and will not have it until Friday late. But then, I already got knots once before from Bernd and they came in a FEDEX box (total of 10 knots or so).
It is just amazing how things are sometimes shipped, very carelessly packed......:w00t: I am maybe at an overkill when I send my stuff out, but I feel better so.

+1 Rudy :thumbup1: Better to be safe than sorry. I was shocked to see the flimsy package . But the knot was somehow Ok? I have my fingers crossed for you :thumbup:

Top Bottom