What's new

Custom brush knot/loft/handle

Anyone know any quality artisan brush makers, that offer custom knots and the whole package. I don't like glue bumps..

Seems like most only offer humongous knots - I am not a fan if a lather hog. Any suggestions?

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Did you have a look in the B&B Vendor Stores? There are some wonderful brush makers there that you might be able to contact and ask the question. They are very helpful.

If you are willing to assemble your own, look at Maggards "build your own brush" custom brush knot/handle/silicone glue combos.

You can choose your knot & handle, & they will send it to you along with the glue. All that you have to do is stick it.

Shavemac has a configurator to order a custom brush within their offererings....which are pretty broad.
+1 This might be your best option as they offer a variety of knots and handles which are excellent. You could also contact Rudy Vey as he can easily source you the Shavemac knots and turn you a handle of your choice.

I've used Shavemac's configurator and was very pleased with the results.
I've also heard nothing but good things about Rudy's work. I'd definitely check him out.

What do you describe as "glue bump"?
The end of the hair at the bottom of the knot that gets glued into the handle must be set into some kind of material that binds them together permanently, typically this is some kind of glue.
What is bothering you about this method?
Yes, also Shavmac knots are being prepared this way.

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
I would think all knots have a glue bump but whether you feel it or not would depend on how much of a masher you are and how far into the handle the knot was set.

Sounds like you’re a “masher” and probably need a custom made brush that would fix a knot low enough in the handle so you can’t get to the bump by mashing. This may require a slightly higher loft to get the exposed loft you want as some of the loft will be below the end of the handle to achieve your end.

Just say I get a do1 - 3 band - that's 48 loft × 21 knot - would all the loft be effective loft above the base of the handle? Or would there be a Glue bump in the equation to minus from the loft?

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
Anyone know any quality artisan brush makers, that offer custom knots and the whole package. I don't like glue bumps..

Seems like most only offer humongous knots - I am not a fan if a lather hog. Any suggestions?
If you are UK based then I can recommend Mervyn Cadman who can make brushes to order. You can even arrange a visit to his workshop to see the process in action. A Google search will find him.

Shavemac has a configurator to order a custom brush within their offererings....which are pretty broad.

And you can specify stock from a wood turner supply vendor they work with, so there’s a very wide selection of handle stocks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom