What's new

Custom boars

I'm enjoying boars. Enjoying them to the point that if I spotted a nice custom turned handle I'd probably want a boar knot in it. But I haven't seen any artisan handle makers that give boar as an option for knots. Is it because boar knots are considered too cheap to put in a $100 handle? Or, if I bought the handle only and set the knot myself can boar knots be had?

They just aren't as popular as badgers or synths, and there aren't many makers of quality standalone boar knots to begin with. Many prefer to harvest a knot from an Omega and such for reknotting purposes.

You can definitely get a handle and knot separately and do the job yourself, there's lots of past posts detailing the removal of a boar knot from an existing brush. It'd also be prudent to extract the knot first to ascertain the actual measurements if you're removing the collar before getting a handle.

I'm enjoying boars. Enjoying them to the point that if I spotted a nice custom turned handle I'd probably want a boar knot in it. But I haven't seen any artisan handle makers that give boar as an option for knots. Is it because boar knots are considered too cheap to put in a $100 handle? Or, if I bought the handle only and set the knot myself can boar knots be had?
Try this : Boar hair knots - https://thegoldennib.com/wet-shaving/badger-hair-knots/boar-knots/

Shave Forge boar knots are working well for me and for other turners. For myself, I like to set 20mm knots lofted short and scrubby with minimal splay.

You can always try and make your own.

24D4B56E-F24E-4BDB-B2B1-AFFD6C636673.jpeg

They just aren't as popular as badgers or synths, and there aren't many makers of quality standalone boar knots to begin with. Many prefer to harvest a knot from an Omega and such for reknotting purposes.

You can definitely get a handle and knot separately and do the job yourself, there's lots of past posts detailing the removal of a boar knot from an existing brush. It'd also be prudent to extract the knot first to ascertain the actual measurements if you're removing the collar before getting a handle.
I've tried to repurpose handles with a different knot, mostly trying to take out an old badger to put in a synth. It hasn't gone well for me. Those boars with the collar, are they not epoxied in? Are they easier to separate knot from handle? I will try find those old threads.

There are also a few producers who supply custom boar knots on Aliexpress including Oumo, DSCosmetic to name a few. They have no issues with collars of anything, just the knot as it is.

Top Bottom