What's new

Cursive workbook recommendation?

I want to focus eventually on improving my handwriting, what workbooks would you suggest? I saw books by Michael Sull are well regarded, but with some poor reviews. Thank you for any suggestions.

I have the Sull book and the first half is the history and development of cursive writing. He doesn’t get into the proper formation of the letters until half way through. I started reading it and got bored waiting for the action to start.

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
Turning the clock back a century or slightly more to when handwriting was an important art, the two that I'd take a look at would be books on the Spencerian method or its slightly simplified successor, the Palmer method. There are books on both on Amazon.

I went ahead and ordered the Sull book and will most likely order the Spencerian series. Thank you. Now I need the time to practice lol.

I went ahead and ordered the Sull book and will most likely order the Spencerian series. Thank you. Now I need the time to practice lol.
Just realize that the Spencerian handwriting has a lot o fancy loops and flourishes and is difficult for most people to read. The Palmer method is the more conventional style.

I remember when I started with my writing a few years back. Here are some links from an old post.

Check out k12reader.com They have some good practice sheets.

Here is a link for the cursive practice. Yes, I went through it all when I started writing cursive again after 40 something years.
http://www.k12reader.com/handwriting/cursive_practice_a_z.pdf

Here are some other links that may or may not be useful.
A-Z Cursive Handwriting Worksheets - Confessions of a Homeschooler
Cursive Writing Alphabet and Easy Order to Teach Cursive Letters | The OT Toolbox
First Year Cursive – 133 pages!
A comprehensive guide to teaching children handwriting

Eben Stone

Staff member
I might have to pick up one of those. I dont like writing in cursive because I suck at it and I hate the way my own signature looks. I remember being taught cursive in 2nd grade. I wanted to learn it to keep up with my brother, he's 2 years older than me. I don't remember exactly when, but at some point I saw some architect printing and he could write faster and nicer in print than I could in cursive. I think I was still in elementary school. The moment cursive was no longer required (maybe 5th or 6th grade?) I went back to printing, and I've been printing ever since. Lazy, I know, but at least my printing can look like it was machined if I really want it to. I really want to re-learn cursive now that I actually have some new desire to use it.

Last edited:
I might have to pick up one of those. I dont like writing in cursive because I suck at it and I hate the way my own signature looks. I remember being taught cursive in 2nd grade. I wanted to learn it to keep up with my brother, he's 2 years older than me. I don't remember exactly when, but at some point I saw some architect printing and he could write faster and nicer in print than I could in cursive. I think I was still in elementary school. The moment cursive was no longer required (maybe 5th or 6th grade?) I went back to printing, and I've been printing ever since. Lazy, I know, but at least my printing can look like it was machined if I really want it to. I really want to re-learn cursive now that I actually have some new desire to use it.
I printed for years because every form says to print. My cursive wasn't that good, either. The only cursive I used was my signature and the amount written on the legal line of a check. Since I bought my fountain pen, I've started writing in cursive again, remembering grade school, like you said, 2nd grade. I write better with the fountain pen. Not only am I taking the time to write better, but with a ballpoint pen, my hand just went too fast with no control. I've been writing in a journal and letters to a friend to get back in the cursive habit. Actually, with the letter writing, I've been using a Rohrer & Klingner glass pen. I can write half the letter with one dip in the ink. Since it's a dip pen, I can use any of the three bottles of ink I have.

(This is the pen I have. Bought it off the "bay": JetPens.com - Rohrer & Klingner Glass Pen - Blue, Copper & Red - https://www.jetpens.com/Rohrer-Klingner-Glass-Pen-Blue-Copper-Red/pd/30033.)

Top Bottom