What's new

Curse you Apple!!!

My first smartphone was a cheap LG that ran Android Eclair (yeah--it was a while ago). Overall, it wasn't a great experience so I jumped on the iPhone 4 and stayed in the Apple ecosystem up until last year. Although the iPhone is great, I was tiring of some of Apple's approaches to software design and not letting me set things up the way I wanted to. So, last November, I decided to try Android again and got a Motorola Z2 Force. I chose the Moto Z2 because it seemed to be the closest thing to stock Android (apart from Pixel phones) and T-Mobile had an awesome Black Friday deal. Overall, I've been happy with the performance and how easy it is to customize the way I want it, and was happy with it... Until now...

Now Apple came out with Apple Watch 4. I've never wanted an Apple Watch--I already have sport watches that give me notifications and track my activity and I didn't see the early Apple Watch as anything more than that--besides, the early ones didn't even have GPS built in. But I have several coworkers who already got the Watch 4 and it's impressive... and I want one but don't want to go buy a new iPhone.

Curse you, Apple!!!

And curse you Google, Qualcomm, and everyone else in Android. Why can't any of the Wear OS watches be as fully featured and elegant in design?!

Isn't Google releasing their new products in October? I assume a smartwatch will be part of the announcement.

Anyway smartwatches don't tickle my fancy, prefer actual watches. Something that can last a lifetime and not become irrelevant in a year or two because of dropped software support or unreplaceable battery. But I'm going offtopic.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I suppose that’s what you deserve for abandoning Apple :001_tt2:

I’ve had an iPhone since the very first in 07. Also got the Apple Watch when it first came out. And last year the Apple Watch series 3 LTE.

Do yourself a favor and switch back.

While apple is easy to use. I got an android phone about 2yrs ago, took a few to get used to it. But i won't go back now

While apple is easy to use. I got an android phone about 2yrs ago, took a few to get used to it. But i won't go back now
I have no problems with the phone--it's better than I expected once I chose a launcher app I liked and various other changes. I just wish there was a decent smartwatch in the Android ecosystem (and Samsung Galaxy Watch doesn't count since it doesn't have full functionality on non-Samsung phones).

I do have an iPhone for work, so I could still get the Apple watch and just go back to iPhone when it's time to buy another phone in a couple of years.

I have no problems with the phone--it's better than I expected once I chose a launcher app I liked and various other changes. I just wish there was a decent smartwatch in the Android ecosystem (and Samsung Galaxy Watch doesn't count since it doesn't have full functionality on non-Samsung phones).

I do have an iPhone for work, so I could still get the Apple watch and just go back to iPhone when it's time to buy another phone in a couple of years.
I have a quite a few family members that have the apple watch. I fail to understand the hype, and I'm just not interested in it. I prefer a normal watch.

I have apple products and i like them, but phone wise, i just like android too much at the moment.

(and Samsung Galaxy Watch doesn't count since it doesn't have full functionality on non-Samsung phones

So, the same as the Apple watch on an Apple phone?

I honestly feel that Samsung has the best Android experience, except possibly the pixel (I've never had one). I went to check out the Galaxy Watch the other day and was blown away. I currently have a Gear Fit 2, and love the functionality, but the Galaxy Watch leaves it in the dust.

I had an Apple Watch (first gen) for a bit over two years. I enjoyed it a bit - it was great as a watch, and fantastic for notifications which my main appeal - at the time I worked in a warehouse so the ability to know when I was getting calls and emails was great.
As I moved into an office environment I found myself wearing it less, mainly because I have a bunch of other watches that I was finally able to wear and not be worried about damaging.

The series 4 though has me intrigued. I kinda just wish it came with a few more steel bands to make it more watch than Fitbit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

So, the same as the Apple watch on an Apple phone?

I honestly feel that Samsung has the best Android experience, except possibly the pixel (I've never had one). I went to check out the Galaxy Watch the other day and was blown away. I currently have a Gear Fit 2, and love the functionality, but the Galaxy Watch leaves it in the dust.
Although you may be right about Samsung, I wrote them off and don't intend to ever buy a Samsung phone. I bought a Galaxy Tab Pro and was told from the Samsung guy at Best Buy that it was their flagship tablet and was set to get software updates for a couple of years. Fast forward 6 months and Samsung launched the Galaxy S tablets and abandoned the Pro--it never got a single software update (until I finally installed Cyanogenmod myself). For as much as Samsung charges, it's shameful that it takes 6 months or more to get the latest Android updates (and that can include security patches). With as popular as Samsung is, I recognize I'm in the minority of wanting a phone with a track record of providing updates.

There's plenty of nice smartwatches based on Android Wear, I'm sure you can find something equivalent to an Apple watch
And I do agree with you, Apple doesn't let you do what you want with your (highly priced) stuff...
I'm an Android/Linux guy at heart, I guess

Isn't Google releasing their new products in October? I assume a smartwatch will be part of the announcement.

The chipsets that are available for Android watches are generally terrible, and the replacements that are about to be released are rumoured to be essentially the same chip with a few minor tweaks. Apple and Samsung fab their own chips, while everyone else depends on Qualcomm - who hasn't made much of an effort thus far.

Heck, I frequently don't even have my phone with me, why in the world do I need a watch tethered to it? How did folks live in the days of land line and message machines? Put down the devices and interact with the people around you.

Heck, I frequently don't even have my phone with me, why in the world do I need a watch tethered to it? How did folks live in the days of land line and message machines? Put down the devices and interact with the people around you.

10% you're wearing a watch anyways, it might as well have some useful functions beyond telling the time.
40% fitness / sleep tracking
40% letting you leave your phone in your pocket while still getting important and actionable alerts
10% cool stuff like mobile payments and boarding passes on your wrist.

What makes you think people don’t?

What makes you think people don’t?

Walk into the break room and everyone has their phone in their hand. Try to talk with them? Hah. Scares most of them. How many folks are walking or driving with their eyes on the device?

This old fogey has noticed that when people are texting, they are interacting with people, just not the people beside them.What I recall in the days before texting is people reading newspapers or doing crossword puzzles, or reading a paperback. That's interacting less than people are today.

No, I don't have a smart phone or watch, and no, I don't care for one. But I don't think the younger whipper snappers are doomed because they're texting.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
This old fogey has noticed that when people are texting, they are interacting with people, just not the people beside them.What I recall in the days before texting is people reading newspapers or doing crossword puzzles, or reading a paperback. That's interacting less than people are today.

No, I don't have a smart phone or watch, and no, I don't care for one. But I don't think the younger whipper snappers are doomed because they're texting.
Yep- I always had a book in my hand when in the break room, smoking, waiting in line, public transit, etc.

This old fogey has noticed that when people are texting, they are interacting with people, just not the people beside them.
Not necessarily. Plenty of folks read on their phones, or play simple games without any meaningful interactions with other humans. And the people that are interacting with other humans are usually browsing social media, which tends to have a "quantity over quality" approach; "likes" and 1-3 syllable comments are a poor substitute for actual conversations.

I have a Galaxy S9+ which is linked with a Tab-E, and am always keeping up with my messages, Emails, Instagram etc.. That said... I'm always up to date as it were in conversation, never take it in a restaurant or to dinner at all, and still enjoy jams with other musicians and do my photography. It's all about keeping the life you had (before the 'net), and just filling in the gaps of time with it. Think of all the times years ago when you had nothing to do for a bit, that's where technology is great, at least for me.

Top Bottom