What's new

Curse My Local Walmart!

I went to Walmart only a week ago, and I saw that they still carried the same old traditional wet shaving supplies. Fast forward to yesterday, I go into Walmart to have a look around...Not an ounce of traditional shaving supplies! I don't even think they put the last of the stuff on clearance to sell it off. They had no de blades, no styptic pencils, no VDH soaps or starter kits (with a brush), and the only thing they still had was some old school aftershaves.​
Had I known this was going to happen, I would've definitely stocked up on some of the deluxe VDH ss. Not sure, but my gut tells me they won't be stocking up on any of this stuff anymore. :001_unsur I guess my only option will be to purchase online in the future (if other places follow suit). Oh well, at least I love to have boxes shipped to me...Then again, who doesn't like getting goodies in the mail? :lol:

That stinks. Last time I checked, our local WalMart still carried it.

And all the Rite-Aids have the glycerine form of VDH, but not the deluxe.

That stinks. Last time I checked, our local WalMart still carried it.

And all the Rite-Aids have the glycerine form of VDH, but not the deluxe.

In my area, the Rite-Aids have the VDH Select (white) and Walgreens has the VDH Deluxe (pink).

I can't find the Glycerine (orange) around here anywhere. But, since I like the Deluxe better I'm not that concerned.

Well that is not a good sign: sounds like reason to go to Wal-Mart, and stock up. Although when I was in there last week, they had about 20 pucks of VDH Deluxe, and about 10 shave kits. :biggrin:

In my area, the Rite-Aids have the VDH Select (white) and Walgreens has the VDH Deluxe (pink).

I can't find the Glycerine (orange) around here anywhere. But, since I like the Deluxe better I'm not that concerned.

What's the difference between the "select" and the glycerine? I didn't know there were three kinds.

You're absolutely right, though; the Rite-Aids have the "select" kind and the Wal-Marts have the Deluxe.

Again, does anybody know what is different between the select and the regular glycerine?

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
You appear to have mistaken Walmart for some bastion of civilization.

The Walmart closest to me has stopped carrying the VDH Deluxe and starter kits. All Walgreens in my area has also cleared out all VDH products. Luckily there is still one Walmart in the area that carries VDH Deluxe.

They're both Glycerine based soaps. From what I remember on the packages, the Select (White) is marketed for "tough beards" while the Glycerine (clear orange) is marketed to "sensitive skin" w/ Oat extract or something - the Deluxe (pink) is "moisturizing" w/ Shea Butter.

VDH is my "home base" shaving product.. meaning, while most of my other products in my rotation get used maybe once a week, I use VDH probably 2 or 3 times a week most weeks. It works damn well and many days I just don't want to deal with a "strong" scented product.

the select (white) is like the lowest rung. then the deluxe (pink) and the glycerine (orange) at the top. most people seem to prefer both the pink and orage to the white. i happen to like the orange.

if wal-mart works the way drug fair (RIP) reorders were automatic unless something was going on. so if you keep asking for the deluxe you might get it. just be sure to keep buying it or it won't reorder automatically.

VDH is my "home base" shaving product.. meaning, while most of my other products in my rotation get used maybe once a week, I use VDH probably 2 or 3 times a week most weeks. It works damn well and many days I just don't want to deal with a "strong" scented product.

I like it a lot, too, but I've only tried the Deluxe. I picked up a puck of the "select" (white) today, so I'll give that a try.

Thanks for the info.

The deluxe is really good for building a cushiony lather, but the glycerine provides a very slippery one. I prefer the deluxe though.

Odd, I went to my local Fred Meyer today and picked up a puck of Williams just because...well, because a house should have a puck of Williams, and I PIFed mine awhile back.

There was one left, and no tag under it's spot on the shelf. Next to where the Williams sat was a tag announcing the "New Product" - VDH Glycerine.

I wonder if they are giving the Williams the boot in favor of the VDH. At least they are carrying something.

I've read a couple articles about how retailers are cutting back on the number of lines of product they offer in the current recession. I'm guessing that the first things to get the ax would be the slow movers, like wet shaving supplies.

when I bought the brush/bowl/soap VDH kit @ walmart last week they had a brush on clearance and I know they used to carry them and there wasn't a spot for it... I wonder if the soaps and kits are next to go?? Those kits would really make good gifts.. they're bargain priced.

I wandered into my local Wal-Mart last night, to check the shaving isle. Two weeks ago they had about 20 pucks of VDH Deluxe. This week only 5. I am cleaning them out tomorrow. They still had about 5-7 of the VDH newbie kits as well.

From my limited observation, the VDH Deluxe would appear to be moving quite well.

Top Bottom