What's new

Current Razor Rotation

I have noticed that quite a few of us shave with a variety of razors in what is loosely termed a "rotation". I wanted to qualify what I mean by that and see if anyone else has a structure to their razor rotation.

I keep four razors in a rack, by my sink, that have the current razors I consider to be in rotation. Each is loaded with a blade but I use a specific razor based on my mood that morning. Its kind of a combination of what soap or cream I want, which brush, how do I want to build lather, you know just mindless what are we doing this morning random thoughts. The razor I use is always one of those four units. I change a razor out of rotation only when its time for a blade change in a given razor, at which time I will remove the blade, clean the unit, and return to the cabinet in my home office, where I keep my stuff away from SWMBO.

The razor that go's into rotation is chosen by that same kinda mindless, child like, what are we doing today. I feel kinda go-fast this week, love muscle cars, had a 66 super sport once, hence the 4-Speed. I put a Schick 4-Speed in the rotation this morning. Will get one more shave from the Tech and change it out in a few days. Not sure with what razor yet, but leaning toward ball end. Current line up in my rack is as follows:

1. Gillette Slim Adjustable (used yesterday/loaded a new Derby)
2. Schick 4-speed (used this morning with new CVS injector blade)
3. Futur (used day before yesterday/ wilkinson blade)
4. Gillette Tech (used Sunday/feather blade)

Do you have a set number in the rotation or is it just grab one of the hundreds?

Eh, I don't have a lot of room. I only get a small couple of shelves in the bathroom for my stuff. But either i use the Merkur Classic, or the Merkur Slant, and with a feather blade or swedish gillette, nothing those two razors can't do. :)

I get one of my razors, load it up, and shave with it until the blade gets dull (usually 4 shaves). Then I clean it up and switch it out with a different razor and blade combo. If I have a new razor or an urge to use a specific one that day, I'll just toss in a blade and use it. No real set rotation.

Do you have a set number in the rotation or is it just grab one of the hundreds?

My rotation changes constantly. I understand completely, I just love razors. I have a similar "razor rack" in my bathroom, actually a toothbrush stand shaped like a palm tree, with one razor per palm frond.

I've settled on one brush which I use exclusively, and have given away my others. Well, two technically, one I use only for face shaving and the other only for head shaving. I'm also recently down to about one or two soaps that I go with every single time, though I still have a good-sized stash. Same with blades now. But on razors, I'm all over the place. And I probably won't change, it's just too much fun.

The reason is because I've found very few razors I really don't like, over time. Some of my favorite razors, I just hated when I first tried them. When I came back to them weeks or months later, I loved them. Even my top few picks are all very different from each other. Depending on my mood, any of them can be "just about the greatest razor I've ever used." :lol:

I've found that a most soaps (and many brushes) are very similar to me in feel and performance, and I maybe wasted money effectively buying clones of what I already had, other than scent. Different blades are certainly worth trying - to a point. But somehow all razors really feel different to me, and appeal to me for different reasons. The shave, styling, era, feel in the hand, weight, size, and packaging all add up to very different experiences.

I want to try straight razor shaving because it's so cool and personal, but am afraid I'd go broke on razors all over again!

I use which ever I feel like. I actually leave several loaded and try to choose from them, then when I change the blade, a new razor comes in. I just inventoried, want to see the list? :wink:

Its fairly ad hoc with me but I noticed that I generally go about two blades per razor (a little over a week). This week is my Grandfathers slim, last week was my GEM Featherweight, and next week will either be my Tech or my new Feather Popular that I have been procrastinating on using.

Right now, I have a rotation that includes a Fat Boy, Parat, and a black-tip Superspeed with an aluminum handle. I usually trade out one of the razors after three weeks. If I want the closest shave possible, I select the Fat Boy, otherwise I really don't have a defined selection criteria.

Guilty. :blushing: I just counted, I have 12 razors in the bathroom that would constitute my current rotation and another 27 on a rack in the kitchen I can grab fast if the mood hits. I can dig out plenty more with a little more effort.

It can be pleasantly overwhelming at times. All night I was wondering what I said I was going to use for my shave tonight. I had said in a thread I was going to move a razor up in the rotation for my next shave and after I finished with a Red Tip Rocket it hit me, it was the Aristocrat Jr. Doh! Thankfully there's always tomorrow. :001_smile

I guess my rotation is just two at the moment. Thanks to GoTeeGuy, I'm now the proud owner of a beatiful Gillette Super Speed that I tried for the first time a few days ago. The only thing I had to compare this to was the Merkur HD that I've been using since the beginning. This superspeed I have is not nearly as aggressive as my Merkur but I kind of like that. There again, it's a mood thing. I find the superspeed is much more forgiving and it will be good for those lazy days when I'm not all there in the mornings. (Which happens a lot)

I also have a Merkur slant that I'm embarrassed to say I'm afraid of. It sits on my shelf of shaving gear mocking me, laughing at me. One of these days I'll get up the nerve to load it up with a blade. I'm sorry, the damn thing is spooky looking.

I'm thinking my next acquisition will be a Merkur Progress but that will be awhile.

I guess my rotation is just two at the moment. Thanks to GoTeeGuy, I'm now the proud owner of a beatiful Gillette Super Speed that I tried for the first time a few days ago. The only thing I had to compare this to was the Merkur HD that I've been using since the beginning. This superspeed I have is not nearly as aggressive as my Merkur but I kind of like that. There again, it's a mood thing. I find the superspeed is much more forgiving and it will be good for those lazy days when I'm not all there in the mornings. (Which happens a lot)

I also have a Merkur slant that I'm embarrassed to say I'm afraid of. It sits on my shelf of shaving gear mocking me, laughing at me. One of these days I'll get up the nerve to load it up with a blade. I'm sorry, the damn thing is spooky looking.
I'm thinking my next acquisition will be a Merkur Progress but that will be awhile.

Do Not fear the slant. It feels just like the HD but give a closer and much smoother shave. I do not notice any difference in the feel of the razor on my face.

My rotation currently has only two razors ad 1969 Tech and a no date Aristocrat. I use one till the blade needs to be changed, clean it, put a new blade in the next razor, and its ready to go the next morning. Used the Aristocrat for the first time this morning. I was in heaven! Best shave to date! I love the heft.

Okay, I have a double ring, a U.S. Service set old, a Big Fellow, a Bostonian and a New common bar handle in rotation. That makes the 1936 New my newest razor. They are all open comb, as you know. My service set old is my go to razor. Don't ask me to explain why.

I have a number of TTO razors that get minimum use. I find them too mild for me. But the open comb TTOs get more use as they give better shaves IMHO.

I really like the triple silver plated razors. They polish up and look great. If you don't know, you would say they were brand new.

Right now, I'm using my Gillette NEW. Usually, I'll go back to either my 40's SuperSpeed or the Fatboy, but I'm thinking about going to one of my GEMs next week, a 1912 or a beat-up Micromatic I recently picked up. I'm also tempted to try my E-type Schick Injector, which is on the aggressive side. It all depends on the condition of my neck skin, which has been trending downwards, lately. I might need a shaving break altogether for a few days...

Top Bottom