What's new

Curious....

Kalypso said:
How does the Simpsons "Special" stack up agains the $35.00 C&E "Best Badger"?

The C&E is going to be firmer and more "scratchy" than the simpson - as simpson best is typically softer. I am not sure exactly what you mean by "stack up" against one another - as I am not sure what characteristics are important to you, however I will say today I used an Edwin Jagger (not the one in my sotd) which appears to be similar to the one you are looking at and it was quite possibly the best shaving brush I had ever used. It built mounds of lather, felt superb on ones face, great handle, fit and finish were top notch, the whole jazz. Seeing as how the Edwin Jagger is far less $ - my advice would be to go with the edwin jagger, and if somewhere down the road you decide you'd like to upgrade, then get a mid-range simpson (PJ, Chubby, etc)

I was looking for the similarities based on size, bristle quality & performance. Since I can get the the Simpson "The Special" for exactly $5.00 more than the C&E, I was curious as to what might be the better brush for the money (I don't think I'll be diving into higer-end brushes later, just want to maxamize my purchase now).

Kalypso said:
I was looking for the similarities based on size, bristle quality & performance. Since I can get the the Simpson "The Special" for exactly $5.00 more than the C&E, I was curious as to what might be the better brush for the money (I don't think I'll be diving into higer-end brushes later, just want to maxamize my purchase now).

My vote is the jagger.

Joel,

Would you say that the Simpson would "floppy" compared to the EJ? I've got the C&E/EJ brush, and love it. But, I'm also thinking, a Simpson brush for $40 bucks with free shipping...why not? But then again, I'm not a fan of "floppy" brushes.

Randy

rtaylor61 said:
Joel,

Would you say that the Simpson would "floppy" compared to the EJ? I've got the C&E/EJ brush, and love it. But, I'm also thinking, a Simpson brush for $40 bucks with free shipping...why not? But then again, I'm not a fan of "floppy" brushes.

Randy

Randy,
Compared to a Vulfix/EJ Silvertip, Simpson "best" isn't floppy, however compared to the EJ Best - it is softer, and feels more like other brands "super" hair. Honestly - the only Simpson I am "gaga" about is the PJ series. I have tried numerous Simpsons through the years, and for the most part, they are nice, but they don't really "do it" for me.

If it were me - I'd save the $40 wait a little while, then drop the coin for a PJ2 Super. The PJ2 Super is going to give you the softness of the finest luxury brush, however it will also have the brustle stiffness, density and resilliance similar to "best" badger - so it is truly the "best of both worlds." While I am REALLY enjoying my Edwin Jagger Best, I think the finest brush out there in terms of mixing quality, performance, and desirable features is the PJ2. I haven't even BEGUN to address its SUPERB handle (even better than the PJ3, as the PJ3 is heavier/clumsier).

For the $ - I think it offers a decent (albeit not outstnading) value as well. Everyone I have recommended the PJ2 to who had purchased one loved 'em.... just as Rik and Jerry! Hell.... Jerry loves his PJ2 so much, he decided he was going to buy a back up PJ2 - and the ONLY reason he has held off is to wait and see how I like my PJ3 first, as he might get one of those as well! :w00t:

Thanks Joel. You know I love the PJ handle. My "dream" brush is a PJ handle, ebony, with a 24mm knot. I'm SO glad I started shaving with a DE so I could save money. I need it for the accessories!

Randy

Now I'm thinking about the Savile Row SR-204 too. For $44.00 + shipping...what to do, what to do......

Kalypso said:
Now I'm thinking about the Savile Row SR-204 too. For $44.00 + shipping...what to do, what to do......

Just do it and hit that return key on your keyboard!!!!!!!!!!!!!:w00t: :w00t:
Quick, get them both before you have time to think about it!!!!:w00t:

No seriously:
You can rationalize buying both brushes in an almost infinite way, but if your budget isn't up to this task i would take the Savile Row; SR brushes are (identical to) Shavemacs and i think these are the best value for price brushes on the market, period.

So back to the first line of this post.....:wink:

Peter

drP said:

No seriously:
You can rationalize buying both brushes in an almost infinite way, but if your budget isn't up to this task i would take the Savile Row; SR brushes are (identical to) Shavemacs and i think these are the best value for price brushes on the market, period.

Peter

DONE...Thanks!

drP said:

No seriously:

Peter

I got the Savile Row 204 today (from Charles at QED...very fast too)! In comparing it with my Muehle Pinsel mentioned here:
http://www.shavemyface.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7185

It has the same handle height & 20mm knot size (& I have a goatee, so I like the smaller size). The MP has been used for a few weeks & has "bloomed" & the SR is right out of the box. Both of them seem very similar in feel (dry, with the SR feeling slightly softer on my wrist). I'll snap some pics (before & after) & do a review of it compared to my MP.

While I do see a big difference in the bristle colors, I'm getting the feeling my little MP is going to be a decent performer when I run them side-by-side...not that I think the Savile Row is not up to snuff. I just think the little MP has been a very nice little performer so far...especially for the price!

Top Bottom